little home network services box

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Aetherone, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

You can always just add a NIC via USB2.0/USB3.0. I have a USB3.0 one on one of my machines and it can saturate gigabit no problem. Doesn't seem to add any significant latency. You only see the limits where you try to saturate both the uplink and downlink at the same time, where it tops out around 1250Mbps.

2. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

And now that I've got DHCP off the router and automatically updating my DNS zones, my network is WAY less annoying! So nice to have everything on the network have a name that resolves properly across operating systems.

Also nice:
    - Changing DHCP settings without rebooting my router.
    - Changing DNS zones without rebooting my router.
    - Hijacking DNS requests for the YouTube ad servers so my Chromecast is ad-free. Hey, I'd pay for YouTube Red if they'd let me!

In fact, I like not using my router so much that I'd really like to ditch it entirely - being able to add static routes and firewall rules without a reboot would be really nice.

3. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

4. OP
    OP
    Aetherone

Aetherone Member

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oh look, ordered an Atom X5-Z8300 one day, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS goes live the next.

Meant to be :D

C'mon postie, I can't wait to pull the cover off and see how much is hard soldered and how much is socketed... :p

5. OP
    OP
    Aetherone

Aetherone Member

:upset: everything is soldered on. No sneaky swapping in a 4GB SODIMM :thumbdn:

An interesting little box, but very very limited. The extremely cut-down BIOS/UEFI makes stock Dell BIOS an encyclopaedia by comparison. Set the time and date, set user/admin passwords, pick boot device and you're done.

I've also had great trouble getting it to boot anything external - it seems this still holds true Why cheap systems run 32-bit UEFI on x64 processors.
    However, that led to other pages and I've managed to get debian-8.4.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso to boot after writing the iso to USB with Rufus.

Stock OS is Win10 x86.

I'm not entirely keen on wiping the system without imaging it first, so the next step is to try out Deb live i386 and see if that works.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

BIOS was stupid and needed to go. UEFI has replaced it, and is just as stupid. It didn't solve anything - same proprietary nonsense, same restrictive environment.

If there was a lightweight platform manufacturer who supported CoreBoot out of the box, they'd have my money in an instant.

7. OP
    OP
    Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Deb installer doesn't see the SD card either. Now, I'm trying to install it to a spare USB key.
    UEFI boot agent also doesn't see multiple bootable keys if they're split over USB2/3 ports. Had to dig out a USB3 hub and run both installer and destination keys from that.

Hi-ho around the merry-go-round we go!

That UP Board is looking better and better all the time. Even if its not quite available yet!

Edit: no PXE booting this thing either - think its the first non natively PXE bootable system I've seen in 10 years or more. Guess they cut every possible corner to get the price down.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016