1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

LIVE Old Computer LIVE

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by shane41, Jan 28, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

Is that your entry Mr Funster ?? Or the Practice run. :p

Edit. Some good stuff arrived in the post today. Yay
    Special thanks to JoolzD for posting his rammies.
    That's the type of generosity noted to help me Kick Start Project " Time Capsule "

Gifted Rams 1x Kudos earned.
    Postage paid 2x Kudos earned.

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

3. Muddy Funster

Muddy Funster Member

This is probably the manual for the Osborne

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

No offence, but "experts" at reviving old hardware aren't stopped by a few bulging caps. They break out the soldering iron and fix the gear, rather than adding to landfill.

You're allowed to call yourself an "expert" when an oscilloscope is a standard part of your retro hardware test and repair kit.

5. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

I have a multimeter Elvis, that puts me at Apprentice stage. :(

Mr Coops goes fine with the old stuff, expert he may have used that term loosely. But anyway not really gonna hurt with all input I can get on these projects. Beyond say Pentium 2 I'm gonna be lost.

Putting up a pic or two of project 1 shortly.
    Can you help me identify the connections on the back Elvis?

Need all the help I can get on these old pc's + I want to start collecting the peripherals I need to connect to them early on. :thumbup:

6. elvis

Sure, which one?

Honestly, there's bugger all difference in x86 hardware since the 386 era. I'd be pretty gobsmacked if anyone had a difficult time getting these old boxes up and running. None of this stuff is difficult to operate (non-PC/x86 gear is another story all together).

About the worst thing you could do was plug parallel cables in the wrong way around if you had some from the era when they didn't have guides on the cable headers.

[edit] If you haven't already, wrap your eyeballs around Mau1wurf1977's kick arse thread, and watch some of his videos. Plenty of fantastic advice for retro newbies there.

7. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

Thanks re the link. I have had a peep in that thread & seen the big interest
    in the old games.

Have some here that will be OK running on XP,
    but I'm a bit lost on the Dos & other OS's they talk about.

I do have a view to run an old machine for these games.
    With an OK agp slot to fit a decent graphics.

Something I am drastically short on at the moment.
    Only 1x old TnT2 card atm, but I am grateful because it runs.:lol:

Here's round back on Too far gone

Anyway might give you an idea from the pic, what I'm up against.
    Some of these boxes have been retrieved from a backyard after many many years.

+ Where I live it gets too -8deg in winter & stinking hot in summer.
    Think desert conditions.

Click to view full size!

Some projects I doubt will be revived, but happy to be proven wrong. :D

Muddy Funster if that is the manual for Osborne, 1x Kudos earned :thumbup:

Adding more to first 4x posts keep an eye out.

8. elvis

Some closer/larger photos would be good. Photos of the cards themselves also help. Often older cards would have similar physical connectors but do different things, and pictures of the cards themselves help to identify that better.

That particular photo looks like (left to right) :
    * a couple of serial ports (9 and 25 pin, with a serial to PS/2 port adaptor on the 9 pin port)
    * a parallel port (25 pin)
    * a VGA port with DSUB15 connector
    * a game port on the sound card (the one with the 3.5" audio jacks and the volume dial), which could be used for both older style PC joysticks as well as MIDI device - see more MIDI stuff in Mau1wurf1977's thread.

All very standard stuff.

As for running XP - I wouldn't bother. Learn how to use DOS. It's really not that hard (If I could learn DOS when I was a kid in school, you can learn it now). Once again I point you to Mau1wurf1977's thread, which has all the goodness in video format. Seriously, the guy should be knighted.

9. Muddy Funster

Muddy Funster Member

Black to Black when putting the AT board powercable in. Make sure you check the orientation of the red stripe on floppy and IDE gear.

I worked in a shop with all this old shit years ago.

10. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

Thanks Elvis. My camera decided to spit an error when I tried to copy the pic's off. Gonna have to go with another memory card.

I'm sure I have some other photos of project 1saved on the hdd.

I'll be delayed but, I'll get them up on the first post.

Re the thread you linked. 3DFX Voodoo Spotted that towards the end.
    Looked on ebay, quite a few standard type cards not too expensive.

What sort will I need for the earlier agp's that a standout performer? For not big bucks.

11. elvis

First thing you need to do is find out what era of AGP the motherboard was.

Cards will be measured in bandwidth, similar to PCI-E. You don't want to put an AGP4x card in an AGP1x slot (or vice versa), as you can damage either the card, motherboard or both with incompatible voltage requirements.

The motherboard will have a model number on it. Google that, find the exact model specs, and then go looking for an AGP card to match.

Alternatively, post the motherboard model here, and we can track some of that down for you.

Cards themselves fall into a few different categories. You've got 2D only (Tseng Labs et2000 and et4000, for example, which were a favourite of mine back in the day for their awesome SVGA and VESA support), ancient 3D with minescule features (ViRGE), 3D-only (earlier Voodoo cards that needed a standard VGA card to output video through), pre-TnL 3D ("Transformation and Lighting") cards like the TNT/TNT2/Vanta and ATI Rage era cards, and then post TnL into the "GPU" era that we're still using today, more or less.

Then you've got some weird ones in the middle like Matrox (more heads, MORE HEADS!) and PowerVR ("tile rendering will rule the world!").

12. Muddy Funster

Muddy Funster Member

Get a TNT2, pair it with a Voodoo2 and your sorted

13. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

There you are Muddy, wondered where you got too.:p
    Has the bottled waters been shipped off yet?

Elvis if you have a hand in fixing one of these old beast,
    then I'll put time aside & learn some of that stuff in that thread. :lol:

On another note: Need someone to assist me in dishing out Kudos + Planning.

Who's up to the challenge?

14. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

15. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

No offence, but it was a J-O-K-E.

Obviously you don't know me. Which is why you also won't understand why I put the term "expert" in inverted commas, nor would you understand the joke about the old computers.

I am certainly NOT an expert. I just have absolutely piles of old computer shit, and unfortunately much of it is still in use.

The machine I am typing this post on has bad caps, the USB ports output 4.3V and only work 1/2 the time. There is no way in the world I am going to repair a IBM NetVista MoBo that is socket 478, runs a 533MHz FSB and doesn't even support Hyperthreading. Oh, and only 2 sticks of RAM max 2GB and no SATA ports.

It's an absolute frigging beast, I tell ya. If somebody else pays the postage, I'll gladly send it to an expert for repair. :lol:

And for the record - when I posted that comment, there was virtually NO details except for the first photo that shows the pile of generic P1/P2/P3 era cases. Shane has a strange thread and is continually editing his OP, which means you are seeing a HELL of a lot more info on what he's discovered compared to what was there when I posted.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  16. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

Yep this is a work in progress.
    + need pull my finger out & send Coops a real pc that has more than 1x gear. :p

I'll be doing alot of editing as I upgrade photos etc.

+ Can confirm Coops is a Horder. :lol: Will be on a TV show one day

17. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Thanks for the photo of the osbourne.
    From what I can see, the board only supports 5V cpus.

It has an ATI mach64 onboard which was a vifesirable video card. It also has an ESS audiodrive of some description, which was a very good soundblaster clone - some would say better than a creative sound blaster. Its also got a real OPL3 chip on it for FM synthesis.

It would have been a great DOS gaming rig in the day. It shouldnt be too hard to get going, probably just needs a clean. If it doesnt boot, maybe some of the jumper settings are wrong.

The 'too far gone' box looks like another 486, but I cant see much because the cables are in the way. It would be good to get clear photo of the motherboard and expansion cards. It looks like a much older style case though, perhaps it was upgraded from a 286 or something.

Regardung AGP cards, it depends what youre actually trying to achieve, but a Voodoo 3 is a good bet -fairly cheap and common, performs well, compatible with most AGP slots, supports Glide games.

18. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

Thanks reply DonutKing. :thumbup:

Are the 1mb macro shots good enough to see the board detail?
    If so I will continue with those type of shot on the other projects.

Too Far Gone Is a 486, have spotted that.

I hope to upload more of Osborne Revival
    But these shot's I'll upload on the off peak internet.

You mention 5v cpu? What does that make this processor ___??? Mhz
    You have an idea now what this machine is, where does it fit in
    the Osborne range of products.

ie. Budget / Advanced/ Some good features.
    When would it have been produced??

Is this Osborne something collectors would desire?
    Or just another uninspiring model??

What was talked about early on.

The speaker making the warning noise!!

You mention a part to replace or modify?? I'm guessing this is like an early cmos battery. That is worn out/ flat stopping the board from POSTing??

Where is that part? Is it in one of the pics?
    Can you link me where to get it.:thumbup:

Also, this machine is like start of like early Atx standard??

Am I fine to plug a more modern psu into it?? Like be backward compatible??
    OR is there going to be Voltages & connections not quite right??

19. OP
    OP
    shane41

shane41 Member

Thanks reply Elvis. :) Only just getting back to post this now.

Seem the video card I should look for is a Voodoo 3 as this is a budget friendly/popular card.

I will look in to the ones you suggest as this thread moves along.

Also have seen your pic of your Massive Man Shed from your thread.
    Bloody top stuff & some of those machine, lock me in there for a week.:lol:

So anyway, that's given me an idea, to fix up some older gamers. Yay

20. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Yep those photos are ok, but ideally you could remove the motherboard from the case and take a high res photo of the whole thing, without cables, cards, drives etc obscuring detail.

The 5V Socket 3 CPU's range from 16MHz to 66MHz. Most 100MHz or faster Socket 3 CPU's required 3.3V, and there would be a small voltage regulator on the motherboard to support this - as I can't see it on the osbourne's board, I assume it is 5V only. You can get overdrive or upgrade processors which usually include a voltage regulator on the CPU, so you can use these faster CPU's on a 5V only board (the CPU will still run at 3.3V internally).

I'm guessing that your CPU is a 486 DX/2 66MHz, but that is purely speculation. That was one of the most popular 5V 486's, and generally a slower model 486DX or 486SX wouldn't have a heatsink on it. Best way to find out is to peel the heatsink off and read the label on the CPU. The 5V 486's can run without a heatsink but they do get pretty hot to touch.

I can see jumper settings to set the clock speed, but I can't find the actual jumpers. They might be behind the riser card and obscured from the camera.

I don't know much about osbourne's product line but loking at the date codes on some of the chips, it looks to be built in early/mid 1995 sometime. As far as specs go it seems a decent machine for that time frame. By 1996 486 class machines were a cheaper option, usually running an AMD or Cyrix 5x86 with PCI, while Pentium systems were becoming more mainstream.

This machine isn't ATX, its LPX: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LPX_(form_factor)

I can't see any battery or Dallas clock chip. It's probably behind the riser card. AS I said before, to get it to POST I'd try giveing the board a good clea, removing the expansion card, and reseating the RAM. What is the beep pattern?

It will probably still use an AT power supply, although you should be careful, as some OEM's used non standard power supplies with different wiring - plugging in a standard PSU could blow something. I don't know if this is the case with Osbourne.

I don't know much about its value, but it might be worth a few bob to the right person. x86 stuff isn't really worth much unless you have something really rare, and there's nothing particularly rare about this machine. It looks like it would make a great DOS gaming rig if someone was looking for that, but otherwise its not really worth a whole lot. It would be a shame to trash it though, I'd take it rather than see it get trashed.