Loadline calibration = BAD?!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Little Man, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Little Man

Little Man Member

hi, i found this setting in my p45-ud3p bios under vaults, and since ive had it enabled, ive been able to get q9550@ 3.7 stable at a much lower bios voltage: (was 1.3750, now about 1.29)

but when i googled it im seeing all these threads about it being bad for 45nm cpus??

i was getting pretty bad vdroop but now im getting none, should i continue to use loadline calibration or turn it off?

2. Sil

Sil Member

Loadline Calibration usually doesnt affect the lifespan of a CPU although it can sometimes make your OC unstable. It is usually used for LN2 OC's etc etc.

It doesnt hurt your CPU so just leave it on if its working fine.

3. boogerthe2nd

boogerthe2nd Member

As long as you monitor voltage and make sure it doesn't pump abnormally high volts, you should be fine leaving it enabled. Check during load and idle and watch for any spikes. If there isn't any, I'd leave it enabled.

4. OP
    OP
    Little Man

Little Man Member

but my Q9550 at 3.7 is not stable in IBT at 1.3 with loadline off but with it on it is stable :S

how come anatech or what ever its call is claiming its bad for 45nm cpus?

5. boogerthe2nd

boogerthe2nd Member

I think it's only because in some cases, it pushes the voltage above what you set in the BIOS, which would never happen if you had it turned off. However, if you're setting a voltage that isn't considered too high, then it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't believe it would reduce stability at all, since it maintains a higher load voltage, which is what you want for stability. No point having higher voltage when it's idle.

6. eklipze

eklipze Member

BECAUSE 45NM CPUS HAVE A LOWER TOLERANCE FOR VOLTAGE THAN 65NM CPUS AND LLC USUALLY ENSURES THAT THE VCORE STAYS CLOSE TO WHATEVER IT IS SET TO.

YES NO BEEP IS NORMAL

7. OP
    OP
    Little Man

Little Man Member

ok thank-you!:p:p:p:D

8. flinchy

flinchy Member

ohhh i thought thats what LLC does. explains why im getting a 1.48 to 1.408/1.424 vdroop. horrible.

9. Deanzo

Deanzo Member

The above is not vdroop, that's vdrop.
    vdrop is what you set in bios to what you see in windows. And doesn't really matter. The only thing that really matters is what you get in windows.
    I'm going to be a little silly..but.. If you had to set 1.6 in bios, and that = 1.3 real (in window taken with a DMM) to be stable. Then that cpu takes 1.3v to be stable at that speed. Not 1.6v

vdroop is the difference from idle to load in windows.
    So you now take that 1.3v you got after vdrop, load up all cores with something like Prime. And see if your in windows vcore drops. If it does, that is vdroop.
    If for X speed you need 1.3v to be stable, and if it drops down (vdroop) to 1.24 under load them it will just crash and reboot.
    What you will end up doing (if we work off the silly over the top case I've listed above) is setting the vcore in the bios to 1.66 which will vdrop to 1.36 in windows which will vdroop to 1.3v under full load and be stable.

With LLC what you would hope to see is very little if any drop from idle to load in windows.
    So using the above again. 1.6 in bios = 1.3v in windows idle, when you load it up with the likes of prime it will still be 1.3v and the PC will not crash.
    You may also find that in will bring the in bios setting more in line.
    ie: you may find you only need to set 1.5 in the bios to give you 1.3 in windows.

10. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

it hurts mobos, not cpus :)

llc is useless on most boaqrds, just leave it disabled an increase the cmos (ppl its the fkcing cmos, not bios) vid settings.

on a very few boards, it actaully does help with vdroop, and not just vdrop, in this case it puts more strain on the mobo :)