Local Pool - OCAU

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by scissorspaper, May 26, 2018.

1. scissorspaper

scissorspaper Member

*Hopefully this hasn't been done already

Wondering if anyone else would be interested in created our own OCAU pools,

I have the equipment to host (/29, more ram than know what to do with, plenty of CPU and fast Disk and enough bandwidth)

Though as always its about bringing a few people on board.

I have created a couple of pools previous (Market Cash / Graft / Dero) though only ever really had 6-7 users hitting it, and running them by myself took up more time than I wanted. Either way I am comfortable in setting up a pool based on nodesjs.

My local rigs have enough hash rate to get a pool going, though I am looking for someone else to help manage and organise the pools. I don't see the need to try and compete with the big coins (ETH, zcash ETC since our pools hash rate would be way to low)

My Cards available to Hash
    1 x Vega 56
    2 x Vega 64
    12 x 580s (3 x 8GB, 9 x 4GB)
    2 x 470s
    1 x 480
    6 x 1060s

Would need to work out more details, but happy to hand full access over to anyone that may be interested.
    At least this could start a discussion to do feasibility.
    We would be in a good spot, since we don't need to buy expensive hosted services.

One of the big reasons I see a benefit.. I don't trust all pools, this way we would have pools with multiple OCAU admins that we knew weren't skimming off the top.

2. 426

426 Member

I tried for a week on a local graft pool (could have been yours?). Hash was between 200k-400k for the duration. Lucky days were nice, but over the week, it was nearly 20% under calculations for the 70K I threw at it. Pools that have massive % of network hash rate just kill the little pools.

Regarding the admin to pools, I have nfi, and would not know where to begin.

3. OP
    OP
    scissorspaper

scissorspaper Member

Not really,
    You will find the blocks average out at 100%, as far as luck.. so what you will find over a period of a month is the payments should be equal. The only change to this is fluctuations in total hashrate of the network.

4. AERO

AERO Member

i only have a 1070 and 1080 mining, i use am/mph and nh profit switching, what your suggesting is setting up a local mining pool for some/one coin or what not. (bare with me im a noob trying to understand it) i setup a miner on nanopool to mine zec. and get paid in zec when we/the pool gets paid. so basically the only ones in the pool will be whoever on here joins and mines and when we find blocks then we get our share etc..? how much hashing power would we need to make it viable. i would be assuming profits might be a little better to an extent that there is no pool skimming off the top and we all get our equal shares (obviously going by our hashing power provided)
    (just trying to wrap my head around it)

i would consider joining as long as the average payout would be similar or better than what im already getting through nh/mph.

oh just re-read so you would be mining more of the smaller alt coins as opposed to zec, eth, monero etc?

5. OP
    OP
    scissorspaper

scissorspaper Member

Yeah would look at new up coming coins,
    Some fail, some make you heaps of money

Example : Edollar ... Wasted 2 weeks hashing it Worthless

Example : Dero ... mined it for 3 weeks before it was popular (<5MH Network) sold 1800 @ $3.7USD each (It is now over 500 MH network "Sad Face")

Example : Graft ... holding 23,000 its price is finally going up but I was expecting more

You can swap whatever coins you mine, into any other coin you like, but you would do it manually.

I suppose I'm in the mining for the risk, if everything fell apart today I would now be ahead due to a few good gambles. Making $35-40 a day on ETH is meh, I could stay at work for an extra 20mins.

But each to their own, everyone has a reason to be mining, but I personally look into coins, see if I like the idea, and mine it in the early days. (I also mine eth on the side as a blue-chip, or hedging my bets) ETH / ETC cover my electricity costs.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  6. AERO

AERO Member

i am sorta interested still, however i havnt gone to the effort to set up online trding with bittrex or whatever, ive purely started mining and get paid to my coinjar account and thats the extent of my mining history. i guess if i were to mine other stuff i'd have to set up trading and wallets etc.. ultimately if i coin goes up in value sell at the higher price and then buy the btc/eth i wanna hold for a longer time.

7. OP
    OP
    scissorspaper

scissorspaper Member

Yep to give you an idea (how I have setup is probably a bit different) - And plenty of other people would have other methods but for me

Have multiple exchange accounts
    Kucoin
    Crex24
    Bittrex
    BTCMarkets
    Stocks Exchange
    Trade Ogre (I avoid where possible)

And a few others I cannot remember at this point of time
    Then I have maybe 15 wallets all on 1 VM, that I shutdown when I'm not using. I use JAXX for the main coins though

If you don't have a VM you can use, for security just use VirtualBoxOSE this allows you have to a secure Windows / Linux Environment where you can store your Wallets. Its also way easier, and IMO more reliable to backup a virtualbox VHD than running software based on your normal PC>

But back to the mining Pool,

How I would see this working,
    Finding a coin we think is worth mining
    Build a pool
    Mine it whilst its profitable, or in its infancy. (Mined a fair few before they were even tradable)
    Keep the pools alive for others, especially Aussie residents (low ping) and put the 1% fee towards some prizes, or whatever.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  8. 426

426 Member

How much admin is actually needed once the pool is up? I'm in front of a computer most of the time during the week.

9. OP
    OP
    scissorspaper

scissorspaper Member

Not much, issue generally is when there is Daemon updates, and the initial setup.

10. drjam

drjam Member

Entered crypto in Nov 2017, got burnt a LOT with mining at home and Origin electricity bills.
    Am curious how you might power this stuff?
    I am .... getting curious again with crypto you see....

11. gmturner

gmturner Member

im interested in partaking

12. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

You have my interest.
    I only have 1 x 1080ti. Been using mph, and noticed I was putting out 60oddMH/s, but mph was saying 50oddMH/s, that's a considerable difference. Makes a difference to my pittance.

13. OP
    OP
    scissorspaper

scissorspaper Member

Looking into MPOS to see if it would be worth setting up our own similar to MPH where we could switch algo's. Would all need to have this enabled to be effective, otherwise if we have to much split hash rate finding blocks will be painful :p

Out of curiosity does any one have any ALTCOINS they find interesting ? i am looking at building a new Dero-Atlantis server ready for the 5th June release.

14. Crimson Idol

Crimson Idol Member

I'm interested - should have my rig up and running this week.