Locks, and How to Open Them : OCAU's Locksport Thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by BlueRaven, Nov 15, 2018.

1. caspian

caspian Member

I have a lot of fun with those jigglers. I'm very fond of swapping the contents of a workmate's desk drawers around and relocking them. or swapping one drawer with the drawer of the person next to them. much fun, many lolz :)

2. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

So, I can now rake open the acrylic practice padlock in less time than it takes to set the tension, as expected from comments by others. :)
    I really like it as a novelty piece though, and as a way to get other people interested.
    I'm a bit annoyed that I didn't check out pickpals starter kits before ordering the cheap picks off banggood.
    But they came with the practice lock included, which looks to be an extra 30-50 bucks via PP so six vs. half-a-dozen in the end I reckon.
    Can always upgrade, can't downgrade on money already spent if you decide it's not for you. :)

Found medium-sized Syneco and small Lockwood padlocks amongst my detritus, keys to which have long since journeyed through the wormhole to that planet where such items have formed their own sentient society along with single missing socks and ballpoint pens. Had both of those open in a few minutes once I'd selected the correct tools, which I'm rapidly learning is very much a trial-and-error process based on the lock style, keyway shape, bitting, etc. This is obviously where experienced pickers start saving time over noobs.

Had a go at the lock in the handle set on my bedroom door, on which I slipped the latch when first getting into all this...
    the cheap, shitty, slopping-all-about nature of the in-handle cylinder made it harder to pick then expected, but I got it open with the right hook.
    Then was able to rake it after that.

cool to be able to start physically understanding the subtle differences in technique/movement/feedback between alll these different tools/locks/tricks.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  3. cvidler

cvidler Member

thought of impression-ing them get a key for them again?

4. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

I hadn't because they're just cheapo Bunnings locks, but I am now. :)
    Deviant released a "pre presentation" intro talk about it not long ago iirc, not long after the one about copying from photos etc.

Edit: Just having a quick play with the clear lock again...
    it's pretty fun to see just how quickly I can rake it or single-pin it even though it's not really increasing my skills.

Something that hadn't really occurred to me before was the idea of "handedness" making certain locks easier to pick, mainly because many many plugs are designed to only turn clockwise. I'm a child of the devil, so I instinctively grabbed the pick with my left hand and the lock with my right when I first tried it.
    This means I'm tensioning the lock with thumb pressure on the bar for bottom-of-the-keyway tension, rather than the probably more sensitive forefinger pressure I've seen righties like LPL use. Just gave it another go right-handed, and if anything I was able to open it even quicker.

Thoughts? Do you guys recommend practicing "ambidextrous" lockpicking?
    Or is it more a matter of just developing your own technique that feels comfortable to you?

Just had a go at my cheap officeworks filing cabinet, got it open with the second wafer pick I tried.
    Definitely have to get out the sandpaper or finishing file and break the edges of these cheap picks.
    I wasn't worried about damaging the lock - if someone wants to steal years worth of old phone/power bills with out-of-date address/account info on them, they are welcome - but was concerned about jamming the pick at one point.

Let us know how you go with the practice lock sets.
    Got my eye on the PickPals "sparrows ultimate reloaded" bundle as a bit of a Chrissie present for myself.
    But maybe a single cutaway lock would be a better start for learning to set security pins, as you say.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

New full review and basic tutorial vid stuck in post #2 for the kit that I bought.
    Also here for your clicking convenience. It's an unedited 20min one-take with a fair bit of waffling at this stage,
    because my daily-driver desktop is currently throwing a hissy fit. Will reup a more succinct edited version once it's back up and running.

6. caspian

caspian Member

7. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Thanks for that, looks very well thought out. David clearly knows what he's on about and has come up with a good design here.
    I backed it at the $5 level to get a look at their "Zero to Hero" 45-min video reward, since I was looking at portable kits on Banggood anyway.
    Even though I'm sure all the video info could be found for free on youtube, these guys deserve the support to try and get it over the line.
    Always nice to see well thought out and actually useful Kickstarters that are not just scams. Hope it gets fully funded.

Here's the BB review:

8. caspian

caspian Member

hopefully. it's at 90% with 2 weeks to go, and BB's review should be enough to kick it over the line. I was going to get a Multipick to play with, but I've gone in for one of these instead, plus one for a work friend who is into locksport as well. the size and ability to carry some useful tensioners all in one means I'll probably chuck it into my work backpack and EDC it after all.

9. apsilon

apsilon Member

This is what I bought first up. Not knowing anything about it and a bit of an impulse purchase it looked like it had everything I could possibly need. The lock pit set is very good (in my next to know experience opinion). Some edges could do with finishing and some of the handle dips are a bit deep and need to be trimmed back but it's an excellent selection to get started with. It really has everything you need to get started. My next purchases will be some thinner picks.

The practice locks included are also good. The reload kit I haven't used yet but it's a no brainer for progressing.

That said, now that I have a little experience I wouldn't buy them again. I'd buy (and have ordered) one of the single standard pin cutaway versions instead along with the reload kit. You're never going to use more than 1 lock at a time so pin up that one lock with 2 pins, then 3, then 4 etc as you progress and when you're ready, break out the reload kit and start adding security pins. There's a huge learning benefit to being able to see and confirm what you're feeling so I think this is not only cheaper but a superior option to having 4 locks without the cutaway.

10. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Well, the SWICK kickstarter is happily now fully funded at just shy of USD$42k pledged by 663 backers on a 30k goal. Thanks caspian for putting me on to it.
    I decided to up my pledge to the $US85 level to get a SWICK plus bonus tension tools, broken key extractors and a Schlage 6-pin cutaway lock with plug follower and security pin sets, based on apsilon's experiences and advice above.

With shipping it comes to about $130 Australian conch shells, and I know that's WAY over what I'd pay to buy similar kit frpm pickpals.
    But I like the design of the tool, I like the no-bullshit way in which David presented the kickstarter video, and I just got a $500 xmas bonus from work, so what the hell eh? :)
    It will be a nice little surprise package when it shows up sometime in Feb.
    I'll order a repinning mat and tweezers from PP in the new year, and that little lot will keep me entertained and challenged for a good while I should think.

11. apsilon

apsilon Member

I'll be interested to hear what you think once you have it. I was tempted but I can't bring myself to continue using Kickstarter, far too many projects have turned out to be scams and they refuse to do anything about it so I can't condone their inaction by using the site.

12. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

I hear you mate, but like their methods or not, it's still one of the biggest and most popular platforms for getting otherwise-nothing projects like this funded.
    I've managed to avoid getting burned thus far, so perhaps I have a more magnanimous feeling towards the site and its processes than others do.
    But I fully understand why you would want to avoid supporting their business model by proxy.

All that aside, I'm confident that this particular project will be delivered as promised, roughly within the projected time frame.
    Will definitely keep everyone updated about it and will no doubt post another rambling video re. my impressions of the tool and the included practice lock set. :)
    Caspian may have a word or two to contribute also. :)

Regarding general progression, I'm already bored with picking padlocks... everything I have found lying around can be raked open pretty easily.
    Here's where the hobby starts getting expensive I guess! :lol:
    Is it worth going and buying some more expensive "security rated" padlocks from bunnings?
    Or do I just while away the time playing with my new drone until the US kit arrives?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    firey4059 likes this.
  13. caspian

caspian Member

I don't have a lot of kickstarter experience myself. I'm yet to be dudded on something, although late delivery with a lot of excuses seems to be the norm. I suppose that's what happens when you're buying into a concept, with the actual manufacturing details getting worked out afterwards. for the price I'll take the gamble, even if it folded completely it wouldn't be the end of the worlds - I'd be more annoyed to see a cool idea not realised.

the Lockwood 334 series can be disassembled and repinned with security pins for an additional challenge. https://www.bunnings.com.au/lockwood-45mm-brass-heavy-duty-padlock_p4210926 you can get them for $31-33 delivered from eBay.

BlueRaven likes this.
  14. caspian

caspian Member

I swear to dog that this somehow got recommended to me after watching an AvE vidjeo.

BlueRaven likes this.
  15. underskore

underskore Member

as someone that works for a door hardware company it's interesting to see this discussion - if I had've known about this thread earlier I would've hit the locksmith-sales team up for some interesting 'samples' before they all got binned a few weeks ago (due to moving sites).

If I ever get the chance I'll grab a few special cylinders and see who wants them but until then, keep on pickin.

BlueRaven and firey4059 like this.
  16. apsilon

apsilon Member

Browsing around thinking about what I should buy next I realised there is a reason to have the 4 lock set, if you want to have a play with master keys it could be useful and Sparrows has a pinning kit that allows you to pin the 4 locks over 3 tiers of keys. I might throw one in to my next order just out of interest.

BlueRaven likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Watched a few of her videos now, she's a very engaging presenter.
    And I'm saying that with the straightest of straight facees.
    The way that Vice hung her out to dry was some ridiculous cowardly bullshit imho.

Haven't gone much further with the sport; can open everything that's available to me in under ten seconds now.
    Eagerly awaiting my SWICK + Schlage cutaway with the security pin sets, reckon it will be a great learning tool.
    Good communication from David re. progress of the Kickstarter project, couple of updates posted already. :thumbup:

18. caspian

caspian Member

she's not bad really, although she's obviously pretty well aware of her audience demographics.

definitely waiting for my SWICK, I could have used it the other morning when a colleague locked himself out of a set of drawers.

BlueRaven likes this.
  19. cvidler

cvidler Member

Hadn't done much myself over the holiday period, air-con broke on boxing day, and being unable to hold the pick severely limits the practicality of picking. so quite literally did nothing lock-sporty.

before the air-con failure, I did change the locks on my security screens, they were horribly easy to rake wafer locks, they're now 5-pin Lockwood cores, keyed alike to the doors, and loaded with security pins (serrated or spools in all but one), and with various pin stack heights providing some very tough spring tension in some cylinders without the use of 'super springs' as Bill would call them.

BlueRaven likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Missed this at the end of your comment before, thanks mate.

Open to all: Just about to move house need a good padlock for the security cage at the new building... readily available "best option" recommendations eagerly accepted
    (yes... I'm being a lazy little shit, I know...)

Thanks to all who have contributed to the thread so far.
    Having a great deal of fun with this new "sport". :)