Locks, and How to Open Them : OCAU's Locksport Thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by BlueRaven, Nov 15, 2018.

1. cvidler

cvidler Member

readily available. go to bunnings, skip the lock isle, go to the tool shop - the good locks are behind the counter.

maybe go back to the lock isle, and check for a new hasp/staple. years ago I had a cage broken into by simply bending the body of the padbolt so the bolt no longer was of use. best padlock in the world can't stop poor installation technique.

BlueRaven likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

When we went for inspection, the empty cages were "sealed" with... a cable tie.
    They're the usual pressed tin partitions with a bit of mesh above, self tappers holding the lock hasps/bolts on.
    Reckon I'll just buy a cheap thing, after thinking it through. Security garage after all, the car/pedestrian gates are much more sturdy
    (although still easily bypassed by the likes of you lot with a bit of problem-solving, no doubt :)).
    That said, if I drop 30-40 bucks on a "decent" padlock, I can then practice on it...

3. cvidler

cvidler Member

on mine after the padbolt was bent outta shape, I replaced it with a more solid design, and like you was fitted with screws, replaced all the screws with rivets.

Another security tip, put up something to block view (e.g. corflute panels) - if a potential thief can't see what's in there, they'll not be so tempted - especially if the access method exceeds their skills vs. time/covertness.

BlueRaven likes this.
  4. caspian

caspian Member

nice update view on the SWICK kickstarter yesterday.

BlueRaven likes this.
  5. apsilon

apsilon Member

I've always been of two minds on this. On one hand no one can see what's in there, could be lots of good stuff, lots of junk or could be nothing. On the other hand, someone could easily think "must have something worth hiding therefore worth taking".

If a hasp and/or staple are held on by tek screws then there's almost no point in locking it at all. Only an idiot is going to go after the lock if they could bypass it with a screw driver or socket. If replacing with rivets is an option then definitely do that but even then I wouldn't go over board on the lock as the weak point is still going to be the hasp/staple as a crowbar is going to pull the lot off anyway. Remember you're only stopping the opportunistic and don't keep anything in there of value IMO.

6. caspian

caspian Member

agree that you're only stopping the opportunistic.

when I had my house built, I had my water heater booster stolen, they just unscrewed the mounting brackets. short of dynabolting it to the wall, making it any more secure would mean they would just start destroying stuff to get it off if they really wanted to.

I reckon it's dodgy tradies ripping them out of just built houses and then selling them to a builder in the next estate being built, who knows how many times the same booster gets sold and stolen? all of the fittings were nicely turned off and neatly disconnected, which meant they had tools, which means they also had the tools to just break things if the bolts got welded up etc.

given a lot of security is about just making you less than the most attractive target and I figured they had moved on, I elected to just have it replaced under warranty and there have been no further issues. and yes, it's entirely possible my insurance company paid the thief to replace it with my own booster!

BlueRaven likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

^^^ TINFOIL HAT ENGAGED ^^^ (they'd just get sold for scrap wouldn't they? least effort/least risk strategy?)

Hands up all those who have spotted that I just derailed my own locksport thread into a general "physical security" discussion.... :Paranoid:

Lets face it, the boundaries are always going to be a bit blurred there.
    As long as it generates interesting discussion and not a load of repetitive waffle, have at it I say.
    Feel free to disagree below of course. If you're in that sort of mood. :D

caspian did you get an email about the survey for pick profile choices etc?
    Nothing received here yet, guess they are still working on it...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  8. caspian

caspian Member

it's least effort, but there's even more profit to be made selling something at full cost when you haven't paid for it. and you know where it is so you can go and steal it later, to pull the same gag again.</derail>

I don't think I am getting a survey, I picked the Adept Plus offer, not the extra blade kit. I have far more picks than I need now. :Paranoid:

9. caspian

caspian Member

current "mini" kit:

a few Peterson rakes/bogies/hooks, decoder knife, BOK/TOK wrenches.
    bunch of assorted wafer key jigglers... Sparrows coffin keys, Sparrows and Peterson wafer tryouts
    Abus bypass driver (incredibly easy to use)
    Sparrows Master Switch
    small torch and spare battery

[​IMG]

BlueRaven likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Meant to comment earlier, nice kit mate. Where did you get the case from? With one of the pick kits or seperately?
    Small hi-power LED torch is such a smart but commonsense idea, so much easier to manage than a phone.
    Addition of extra battery elevates kit to Master level. :)

Re. the SWICK survey, I thought that everyone got to choose their preferred profiles, is there a "standard" set for those who didn't grab the extra pick option?
    I need to go back and re-read the kickstarter page, derpy derp.

Picked up keys to the new place and found our storage cage today... it's got a padlock left on it already, time to get some practice in... :D
    Found my rivet gun during the packing process too... :thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  11. caspian

caspian Member

this is incredibly random, but the case is actually from one of these: https://www.tommeetippee.com.au/product/caring/healthcare

my wife saw it in an op shop and grabbed it for me as she knows I love little tool cases. a very good alternative is a small Maxpedition organiser like this. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uaXrs_GBXGY/maxresdefault.jpg

the light is a Manker E11 14500, I love the batteries because they stay charged for absolutely ages so they're great for an intermittent use kit. nothing worse than going for a tool when you need it and the rotten thing is flat. I got mine through liteshop.com.au, they have an Australia Day sale at the moment - 10% off with discount code AD19. (I have no affiliation with these guys whatsoever except as a customer, but I believe anyone can use the code.)

to my knowledge the standard tool set is the one shown here (copy the URL, I don't think the forum media embed respects the start time):

Code:
    https://youtu.be/UyFLXxnf96o?t=375

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  12. caspian

caspian Member

13. cvidler

cvidler Member

Bought a set of cheap practice locks on eBay last week, they arrived today.

cheap. but novel for showing lock internals.

Got a 6-pin pin-tumbler pad lock
    - shimmable
    - bypassable
    - combable
    - rakeable
    - easy SPP (no security pins)
    - not re-keyable (I should be able to fix that with some drill work and some set screws)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A 7-pin dimple euro cylinder, each side is keyed differently. haven't played with this one much yet, no obvious major faults, no security pins, but I can fix that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a 8-disk disk detainer padlock, this one is a joke.
    - double ball bearing locking - win
    - not bypassable
    - BUT.... You can 'knife' it open. can open it with the key only partly inserted (touching only the first few disks). seem just about anything will open it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(it was harder to hold the phone to do this video than to open it)

Upon closer inspection the first disk seems to rotate freely of the disk pack, and I think this has meant the side bar is loose, so essentially it can't work.

I wanted something to practice DD picking, before tackling my Abloy. but meh.

Over all, cool to have some see-through locks, but they won't be seeing much practicing. cheap - worth every cent. lol

14. apsilon

apsilon Member

Nice, I've got a clear padlock but I should grab the other two as well. I find them great for showing other people.

15. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

They look great! Got an eBay ID to share?

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

NanoDuke likes this.