Locks, and How to Open Them : OCAU's Locksport Thread

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by BlueRaven, Nov 15, 2018.

1. cvidler

cvidler Member

at least for all the backers, they did make good and came through with it - at (apparently) great personal expense.

so many kickstarters disappear with the money.

BlueRaven likes this.
  2. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Yeah, that is commendable. And while it still looks shaky, I hope they figure out how to actually sell these things and earn it back.

The problem is....they shouldn't make more of them. Not this design. The way that tension spring interacts with the picks demands a lot of precision from the picks AND the spring AND the case, and that's just awful design for manufacturing.

3. caspian

caspian Member

the Multipick Jackknife has a better design, using a thumbscrew instead of a leaf spring. positive lock, and no stresses on the body as the blade is folded in/out.

BlueRaven likes this.
  4. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Exactly. SWICK had avoiding thumbscrews or wingnuts as one of its design goals, but the tradeoff is a bad one. A good design has tolerance and adjustment in it rather than requiring everything to go perfectly at the factory, and the Jackknife demonstrates what that design would look like.

BlueRaven likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

BosnianBill posted a much more detailed review of the SWICK, including a discussion of all the challenges and financial commitments faced by David and James in getting the thing finished and into the hands of backers.

I was incorrect in my comment above, they are very much intending to release these for sale, presumably after taking all the feedback on board.
    Picklocks.com website still down at time of writing, but David reckons a new site will be up again this week.
    He also replied in a comment on my video regarding some of the deficiencies I noticed with my particular example, and he seems pretty committed to getting the bugs worked out and proceeding with production of a final design for sale on the website.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  6. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Now that I'm getting back into all this once again with the arrival of my Swick and practice lock, I'm looking at getting a decent entry-level pick kit to replace my shitty banggood set along with something fairly durable to protect them. Glancing back through previous posts and had another look at caspian's suggestions for lockpick pencilcases, which is a great idea. Also saw a comment on one of Deviant's videos asking about his leather toolkit case, turns out it's one of these from Southern Specialties:
    ss_leather pouch.JPG
    US$35, but looks like it would last you approximately forever, with room for a full selection of tools.
    They sell a decent range of smaller and less expensive options too. A couple of their pick kits are supplied in the leather cases.
    https://www.lockpicktools.com/cases/

7. caspian

caspian Member

BlueRaven likes this.
  8. apsilon

apsilon Member

I bought a Sparrows Tuxedo case as well as their Ranger case and also received their Sherman case with one of the kits I bought. They're all pretty cheap though only nylon. The Sherman is big enough for the entire collection, the Tuxedo would be good for a carry kit and the Ranger is large enough for a carry kit along with some other tools.

BlueRaven likes this.