1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Logitech G Owners and Discussion

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Akh-Horus, Aug 20, 2010.

1. booboo

booboo Member

g15 on the ps3
    g15 v2 which is now at work
    g19 here
    g9x
    g27
    :)
    edit and a g7 somewhere... lol

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Member 86 :)

3. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

Could I be 88. I like the number and according to the list someone has already grabbed 87. :)

I have a few Logitech gear. i'm not the biggest fan of them but some of their stuff is pretty good and if you know where to buy them they are excellent bang for buck.

G19 is the only G thing I can think of that I own. I have lots of MX stuff including a mouse which I've been using since <2003. Sound gear too but I guess they don't count. I'd love to get the flightstick one day especially when the next Mechwarrior materialises.

4. Zeo

Zeo Member

I have had my G19 for the last 6 months and just bought myself an M950 wireless mouse.:thumbup:

5. panman9

panman9 Member

Just got myself a g19 and it's great :)

6. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Members 88, 89 & 90 inducted - welcome gents. OP updated and please tag up.

One thing that has been missing recently is discussion - we need some!!

7. EC MEISTER

EC MEISTER Member

I claim 7777

G500, G15v2, G27 here

8. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

My thats a big one! Number I mean of course. Membership allocated - tag up friend :thumbup:

9. lithos

lithos Member

As part of my inauguration, let me post a little review. I'll stick it here so that if anyone wants my opinion on the mouse I can link to it. I notice that since I'm the first person to own a G700 (according to the wiki,) I'll take a little time to go over it.

I bought a Logitech G700 yesterday. My last Logitech mouse (which, incidentally, also had "700" in its name, the MX 700,) lasted me nigh on six years. Took it apart and cleaned numerous times, and it kept on tickin'. But when it finally gave up the ghost - the right click switch actually died - I decided to try an MS Sidewinder X8, which has some great ideas. The rocker setup of the back and forward buttons is great, as is the magnetic charger - tap it, and it sticks automatically to the mouse to charge (in practice this only works if your desk is nowhere near as cluttered as mine.)

Unfortunately, there were a couple of downsides. One, it's kinda...tackily built. The back button fell off on the move back up to Brisbane, and fuck knows where it's gone. There aren't as many buttons as I'd like, and, worst of all, the X8 is tiny. It's either designed for kids, or for those who wield the claw grip. I'm a palmer.

The G700 is great. I was initially put off a bit by reviews that slammed its poor wireless performance. It was derided as inaccurate and imprecise (but fine in wired mode.) Like the X8 and the Mamba, the G700 uses the cable for both charging and data transmission when plugged in. The left and right click buttons were also knocked for being loud and having long travel.

I think those two flaws above were only in first production runs, early bugs that my mouse doesn't have. The clicks are fine - the fit and finish is very excellent, feels a lot more sturdy than the X8, as Logitechs often are. The wireless has either been fixed with a hardware, firmware or software revision. At any rate, it's fine. No dramas in first person shooters. But it's something to be aware if you might be getting old stock, and, well, it's not like I'm really that certain about Logitech ironing out all the problems. Then again, there are those people who hate all wireless mice.

The thirteen buttons are a godsend. And there are NO dedicated buttons, at all. They're all remappable, which I love. Microsoft seemed to think it necessary to have a perfectly good button permanently mapped to launch the My Games folder. The My Games folder is a useless piece of shit at the best of times, as not all games bother installing shortcuts into it (or MS doesn't recognise certain games, no doubt because the devs didn't pony up the dinero to get their games made "compatible" with it.) I wasn't even aware of the existence of the My Games folder until I got the X8 - because, y'know, I had desktop shortcuts, the Start menu, the game's root folder, Steam...

The software's a bit of a nightmare, though. After setting up this mouse, I swear I'm now qualified to fly the damn space shuttle. Multiple profiles, up to five switchable DPI settings, individual X and Y speed, macros. It's all there. VERY customisable.

I also like the low-key look of the mouse. There's no tedious nerd bling of LEDs. The IR laser is a blessing, though it's hard to tell if the mouse is on at a glance. The sensor is not centred; it's approximately under the scroll wheel, closer to your fingertips. It's great, as it's easier to make fine adjustments with your fingers than it is with your whole hand. If you're used to shove the mouse with your thumb, though, it might take a while to get used. Instead of moving side ways, the mouse will just spin.

The fit is nice if you're a palmer. Almost prevents my little finger from dragging on the desk. Almost. Fills my hand, so there's no cramping or strain from having to hover my palm over the mouse. The Teflon- sorry, PTFE, Logitech didn't get theirs from Dupont - is very slick, a nice match for the G700's weight. Perfectly matched, I'd say. It's heavy, but moves with no effort at all. A single button behind the scrollwheel activates the clutch for the wheel: with the button down, it's scrolls with firm, positive clicks. With it disengaged, it's a smooth, clickless scroll. The heavy weight of the wheel means you can fling it and it's momentum will keep it going.

Profiles are store on the mouse. The Setpoint software can be set to auto-detect the launched application and change the profile accordingly, or you can do it using a button-press combo on the mouse. LEDs will show you which profile is active.

The only downsides is that I miss the little LCD on the X8 and the cable for the G700 is a bitch. The G700 uses an arcane series of LEDs to tell you what it's doing. The X8 spelled it out. The cable on the X8 was thin and flexible with a neat little magnetic plug. The G700's cable is fat and stiff, and terminates with a huge chunk of plastic on the end of it. I suppose it's designed to keep the mouse looking sleek when plugged in, but it really is unwieldy, and since it's a predominantly wireless mouse, it wouldn't have hurt to make it easier to attach. There's a godawful huge void at the front like a gaping wound when it's not plugged in. On the plus side, it's really just a stand micro-USB plug and jack, so it's no problem to replace the cable with something more practical. Would've been a whole lot easier if the socket was just sitting on the front of the mouse.

There other weird thing is that the tiny USB transmitter comes with its own dedicated USB extension cable (that according to the sticker on it can ONLY be used for the transmitter...) but with no other USB ports on it. A better solution would've been to have a spare USB port on their so you can plug the charge cable into it; instead, you have to was two USB slots.

The other downer is the grip area of the mouse: the sides where you thumb and little/ring fingers sit. It's designed to be grippy. There's some weird rough plastic here. It feels perpetually dusty, gritty and dirty, like there's, I don't know, bits of powder rubber on it. Feels...weird. Like you need to wash your hands afterwards. 'Spose if you're the target demographic of this mouse, a MMORPG player (I'm not,) you're used to Cheetos dust everywhere. Maybe it was designed to make the mouse seem familiar with that audience...

The thumb buttons don't sit under your thumber, unfortunately. This means you have to move your thumb up to hit the buttons.

tl;dr summation:

+ Excellent wired performance.
    + Excellent wireless performance.
    + Transmits data over cable when plugged in.
    + Large, hand-filling shape, perfect for palmers.
    + Uses a single AA battery, not some custom, expensive Li-Ion
    + Infinitely adjustable button setup.
    + Polling and DPI adjustable, with up to five on-the-fly DPI settings.
    + Profiles stored on mouse. Can have software auto-detect what game you're playing and change the profile, or you can do it manually using the mouse itself.
    + Precise IR sensor, so no more be blinded by visible-light LED sensors.
    + Subdued, refined, elegant design. Doesn't look like something that was vomited up by an eighties sci-fi set designer.
    + Very slippery PTFE feet negate any disadvantages with the weight of the mouse.
    + Nice, easy-to-find, non-proprietary micro-USB connection.
    + Is $109 (from Umart,) so slightly cheaper than the Mamba
    + Fit and finish is the usual high standard from Logitech. There's no paint to wear off.

- Can be too large if you're a clawer.
    - Some of the thumb buttons could be better placed so that your thumb rests on them, rather than having to move your thumb.
    - Charging, use of a non-proprietary connector and data transmission aside, the cabling system is a joke. Large plastic socket for the simple micro USB plug is unbelievably huge, and you have to use both hands to guide it into the socket.
    - Default cable is stiffer than a priest in a preschool.
    - Uses 2 USB ports - one for the charging and cable data, and one for the receiver. A smarter idea would've been to have two ports on the receiver's extension cord.
    - Grip areas feel dusty, gritty.
    - Is $109, not as cheap as the X8.
    - Forward-placed sensor not for everyone.
    - Receiver poses a choking hazard. It's perfectly possible to inhale the damn thing.

10. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

lithos

Mate thank you for a bloody well all rounded critique of the 700, its bloody brilliant. I'm going to put a link to it on page 1 its that good, I hope other members can do reviews as good as that.

What member number would you like mate?

11. lithos

lithos Member

No probs. Tomorrow, I'll sweeten the deal and stick some photos up, and after I've put in a bit more game time with it I'll add to it.

Well, I'd go with 700, for the mouse, y'see, but I don't want to artificially lengthen the wiki page (though it would be fun to scroll with the clutch off.) Since it's the next number up, I'll take 70. Ten percent of 700'll do.

12. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

lithos - mate there are several large membership numbers so #700 is now yours without an issue.

Looking forward to pictures!!!

13. Kie

Kie Member

Got my new G930 headphones last week. They're pretty amazing!

This wireless alternative of the G35 connects via a docking station, which is connected to the comp by usb and connects to the headphones via micro usb. On the docking station is a usb wireless receiver which is set at the frequency of your headphones (ie not someone else's G930, but I imagine if you sync'd with another docking station, it would work the same).

The headphones obviously use the micro usb to charge, but you can still use them while charging. So even when power runs out, you still have usb headphones akin to having a G35. It uses a lithium battery inside the left (I think) headphone. It's also replaceable! So if you like, you can keep another around for emergencies. The time to charge is about 2 hours from absolute dead, and the battery lasts around 10 hours (the status screen has a charge level).

Comparing to my old G35, there's not too much difference (apart from the 930 being wireless) in quality or options available. A few extra voice morphing options have been added and you can play around with the 7.1 surround a bit more (ie changing volume and other options for each speaker). Other than that, the sound quality is retained whether you're using usb or wireless.

The range on the headphones is pretty impressive. The box says 12m, but I reckon I got about 15m before it started dropping out! Not that you'd need to be that far, but it's a nice-to-have.

One drawback I've noticed is while I was at a lan. I'm not sure if it was interference or high CPU usage, but occasionally while I was watching things during the lan, it cut out every now and then for as long as 10 seconds. It works perfectly at home and I haven't tried it on games just yet, so here's hoping it was just interference from lots of other signals.

A quick note on cost. Depending where you look, prices vary from about $120 up to a massive $250! So really shop around. I got mine from ebay (a logitech reseller) brand new for around $130! Which is around the cost of the G35 on ebay as well. So depends what you prefer, but wireless headphones are very convenient!

tl;dr
    The G930 is probably the most stable set of wireless headphones I've ever owned! Despite the couple of drop-outs I got at a lan, it hasn't cut out or lagged at all. The 7.1 surround sound quality is as good as the G35 and there are a few extra options to play around with. It has a great range, doesn't take long to re-charge, and is cost comparitive when compared to it's wired counterpart. So basically it comes down to whether you want wired or wireless. Your choice!

14. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Hat off to another great review, want to see more of the two recently submitted. Have updated the OP with this review as well.

15. Synergie

Synergie Member

Must reiterate the above G700 review, just got it today, upgrading from a Logitech MX518. The G700 is nice, coupled with my other G gear being the G15v2 and G330 Headset, all combine to a great desktop experience.

16. xman01

xman01 Member

RMA'd my G15v2 due to lcd screen failure
    just got the G510 as a replacement.
    feels different but good. the buttons around the lcd screen 'feels' studier/better.

liked the usb ports onboard though
    but the choice of colours, more g keys and the 5 key similtaneuos input:thumbup:

17. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

So you think the 510 is better than the g15 yeah?

18. breno

breno Member

May I become member number 785 of this elite club? :leet:
    I have a wonderful, spectacular and very faithful G15
    It's funny, i've had it for four years and just the other month i realised i can allocate my G keys to do various tasks within Windows, quite handy!

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  19. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Done Breno - welcome :thumbup:

20. breno

breno Member

Cheers mate :D