Logitech G Owners and Discussion

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Akh-Horus, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Supersize

Supersize Member

Yeah its strange, the mouse works perfectly.

You hear it worse when the room is dead silent, I thought my power supply was going to die.

2. touki

touki Member

I have 2. Silent!

3. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

That's what I thought. I wonder if its just the power module?

4. touki

touki Member

Quiet as a mouse? I didn't think they made noise...

5. Supersize

Supersize Member

6. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

Alright so I got myself a one those G710+ yesterday and I thought I might throw out some of my thought and opinions on this keyboard. This is a mechanical KB first and foremost, and I have used many mechanical KB with various Cherry MX switches before including the brown that is used in the G710+. I personally used a CM Storm QuickFire Pro MX Red at work and have a Filco majestouch touch 2 MX Blue for personal use at home but because I work in the industry I get a lot of freebies or get given samples from various distributors and vendors. Anyway I don't game as much these days, I find myself typing more than anything. So feel of every key press is very important to me.

I've always been after a good mechanical KB that is fully backlit with MX Brown switches and without looking too gaudy. I was really close to pulling the trigger on a Ducky and I did have a CM Quickfire TK on evaluation for a long time and than the G710+ dropped on me.

Pic1
    Pic2
    Pic3
    Pic4

Quick and dirty pics I took this morning.

Where should I begin? This G710 feels very similar to every other Logitech G series KB out there. Prolly the best way to describe is something like the old G15s. People say Logitech should have gone the whole hog and did LCD and silly numbers of macro keys like the G19 (which I also owned), personally I never used the LCD much even when I was more focused on my gaming. No big loss as far as I'm concerned, less cable clutter as far as I'm concerned.

I've used other MX Browns before, however I've never used one with the rubber o ring installed like that which has been used in the G710. The feel of this KB is completely changed compared to other similar switched KBs. I'm a heavy typist and have a bad habit of bottoming out on my key strokes, the rubber o ring help a lot in this aspect and quietens down the keyboard quite a bit. This has always been something people complain about with mechanical kb, they can be friggin loud. My partner complains like crazy when she has to sleep and I'm mashing on my KB at home, but than again the MX Blues do have a quite a loud click. The G710 has the same click feel on a key stroke but without the noise this one of the major characteristic of the MX Brown switches and hence why I have been on a search of a good MX Brown switched KB.

The back-lit divided in to 2 zones (white color back lit only). One is for thew WSAD and Arrow keys and the other zone is for the rest of the KB. Out of the box the back-lit level is crazy high, in a dark it will burn into your eyes. However the brightness can easy be adjusted, there are 2 keys above the F11 F12 keys that control the back-lit levels. Speaking of keys it does come with the macro keys on the side like most of the logitech gaming KBs, however since I don't game much these days I never bother install the Logitech software to get the macro keys working but I can report they are fully mechanically switched as well which is unlike some of the other mechanical KB out there where some vendors have skimped and gone with rubber domes for their macro keys. In terms of all the key functions the KB works fine without all of the software installed.

I have to say I've been quite impressed by this Logitech, which is something I haven't been able to say about Logitech products for a very long time.The only thing I have to say I don't like is the WSAD is a different color and tone from the keys on the rest of the keyboard. I would have preferred it if it was the same black key caps used for the rest of the KB.

7. Bertross

Bertross Member

nah im in the city now.

If you love the 700 you will like the S as it improves on all of its features.

8. TomJ

TomJ Member

After starting the G owners club back in 2005 I have just purchased my 2nd 'G' branded device (not that I use my G15 keyboard anymore), a G500s mouse :p

9. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Review of the G710 added to Op and a huge thanks to kurosaki.

Any of you gents posting recently, can you indicate if you wish to join or contribute only. No pressure either way, just lets me know!

10. jmannik

jmannik Member

Had to buy a new keyboard recently as my first gen g15 finally gave up the ghost... I bought a G510 to replace it.
    Rather happy with it.

11. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with that choice!

12. Bertross

Bertross Member

Could not resist a 500S :)

similar to my G700s but the 500s is for work.

13. trodas

trodas Member

I wonder if my Logitech MX510 (2x - red and blue) and MX500 (silver) mouses count, lol :lol:

14. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Everything counts mate! Just state you want to join or not :thumbup:

15. iSTELTHYi

iSTELTHYi Member

Got $250 worth of giftcards from work, so chose JB Hifi. Got them to pricematch MSY and scored a G510s for $120. Devo they didn't stock the G9x anymore, would have picked up one of those aswell.

That reverts the G510 to the spare PC, and the olllld G15v2 to the bf's PC.

Just need to pickup a G9x before they're discontinued.

Might give a mini review of the G510s in a day or so if there's any notable differences.

16. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Would hugely appreciate that!

17. CtrlAltDefeat

CtrlAltDefeat Member

I got a G600 and a G300 :thumbup:

18. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Keep accumallating! Never say stop!

19. The Null

The Null Member

First time I've seen this thread.

Currently running X530's, G930's, G15v2 and a G500 (Non S version)

I used to have a G510 but it died. As with an old G9... damn thing took a hell of a beating, being thrown around at lans and in the back of the car and what not. Always held up till a year or so ago.

I prefered the G510 over the G15.

I'm waiting for the day that Logi released a Mechanical keyboard with a screen.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  20. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Yeah I don't know why they didn't put a screen on the 710+ after the G15's being so popular...