1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Logitech G Owners and Discussion

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Akh-Horus, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Spork!

Spork! Member

Have had a G500 moose for a couple years.
    G15 KB coming.
    # 1313 please. :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  2. Kismet

Kismet Member

I had to add it manually because I cant find the settings in my profile page... I hope people will still be impressed, like I'm counting on this for a date tomorrow night!

Your getting a G15? Where from?

I have been wanting to get a second one for a long time but can't find them new anywhere. Just people selling old ones claiming they are as-new. Even Logitech have discontinued them in favor of the G19s which is not as nice in my opinion due to extra size and te weird disconnected screen.

--
    Logitech 'G' Owners Club member #9814072356 (Perfect Power)

Signature added manually because I can't find the setting in my profile

3. Spork!

Spork! Member

Second hand - from OCAU. :)

4. Kismet

Kismet Member

Someone is willing to part with a G15? OMG <faints>

Your going to love the G15. it feels like a mechanical keyboard even tho it is not and the best part is the key spacing is the most comfortable I have ever typed on.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Does logitech have any low profile keyboards?

6. Vantec

Vantec Member

For sure mate. One of the best ones I've used, and still own is the illuminated (first photo). It is back from 2008 from memory, and one of the recent ones is a logitech comfort keyboard (second photo), and it isn't backlit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Thanks! I would need backlit though. They are my only two requirements.....low profile and backlit :/

8. Cactus22

Cactus22 Member

I've been rocking the G710+ and G502 for a couple of months since they were released and I think the sensor in the mouse is the best I've used so far and I've tried all the highend mice, and gaming mice etc. No weird acceleration issues. Rock solid. I would buy another one.

The mechanical keyboard is also very good. I love the barrel volume control and the feel of the keys. I find a lot of mechanical keyboards are very clunky and slow, but you cant tell this is mechanical, it feels like a normal keyboard, which I like!!

There is a couple of minor issues, like the mouse has 5 side buttons(on one side), two of them are right next to the left click(and can be clicked vertically) and can be accidently pressed (its set to forward/back by default) but I have them disabled now so its ok.

The wrist rest on the G710+ is a little flimsy for my liking but its a minor thing.

Overall they are both great. Logitech should put that mouse sensor in a MX518 style basic gaming mouse, they will sell millions.

9. ae00711

ae00711 Member

anyone getting a G910 Orion Spark? :D

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

At $195 + ummmm, no I don't think so :leet:

11. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Lot of coin!

12. omen_child

omen_child Member

G710+ is on sale at Dick Smith this weekend for $139. Picked one up myself, very nice. :leet:

13. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

After having my g19 for well over 7 years now.... you bet your damn ass i'm getting one.... even at it's ridiculous price. Just waiting for it to come off pre-order though.

14. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Apologies for the delay in adding member numbers guys - now updated!!!

15. Kismet

Kismet Member

Logitech G910 Orion Spark - Review

Logitech G910 Orion Spark

I got one! Arrived today via DHL (on a Sunday of all days)

If you like the G15 keyboard you will love the new G910.

The keyboard is mechanical and feels it too. It is not a clicky keyboard but you can hear the buttons go down because they are not muffled like a membrane keyboard. The feedback is nice and makes touch typing easy.

The key spacing is identical to the G15, so there is no learning curve to compensate for keys being closer or further apart.

The raised edges on the keys stop you from hitting two keys at once when your typing which is really handy when typing fast.

The keyboard feels very heavy and strong compared to the G15 and any other keyboard I have felt in the last 20 years. Its got the weight of the old metal Honeywell keyboards of the 1980's. I suspect it has a metal frame inside as it wont distort when i try to twist it from the corners.

The lights work great. You really can set any key to any colour either individually or in groups. I like being able to turn off the lights in the keys I never use, like the windows keys. The lighting effects that continuously change will impress your friends, but are far to distracting to use everyday. They dont mention it in the advertising, but you can control the color, saturation, and brightness of the colours. I found that putting the brightness at 20-40% of full (depending on the color) looks very much like the G15's lighting. Being able to go brighter will be good for people using the keyboard in locations with direct sunlight. As with anything illuminated, keyboards, mice, monitors, put it as low as you can to avoid eye strain.

The feature to use your mobile phone/tablet as an additional screen works using your wifi. There is no special port in the keyboard so it works with the older keyboard too if you download the software from logitech. I have been using it as a remote control for the media from the couch with my G15 and the new G910. The slot in the keyboard is only a phone stand as the wifi takes care of all the communications. A cheap $60 android phone with a charger point on the side would be ideal, or any old smartphone that your not using that has wifi.

From what i can see the phone app is the same on the G910 as it was when I tested it on my G15. It has pages for Games, G-keys, media control, and a really fancy system stats that includes CPU, GPU with temps, ram, etc. It will be possible to add more pages as people create them as the bottom list for selecting pages can scroll left and right.

Logitech have released a software developers kit for adding features to the phone app, so it wont be long before you can download extra stuff. The G15 has had around 8 years of people making apps for it so we can expect people to make stuff for the new ARX interface too.

I took a quick look at the ARX software developers kit and it is a lot more flexible than what the G15 was able to do. It already controls the VLC player right out of the box with it's media controls.

One very nice feature of ARX is that you can lock it so it only talks to known devices. That way your neighbor cant link up and turn down your volume! (which was a problem with the VLC's own remote app)

Having used the keyboard all day today I am now confident to say that it is comfortable to type on. The palm rest is better positioned and angled than the G15, and I feel like I am typing more accurately with less mistakes. I also notice when I might have hit the wrong key because I can feel my finger touch the raised edge of the key instead of hitting the flat in the middle. A useful unintended additional tactile feedback that alerts to you check for a typo as you make it.

The only negative things I have found is that only the selected M1, M2, or M3 key is lit up while the others remain dark, and there isn't a USB port on the keyboard to plug your mouse into like the G15.

I have used the G15 since 2007. In that time I have tested the G19, G19s, and G510. Each time I have returned them to the shop for a refund and gone back to using my old G15. Today I put my G15 into the box of spare parts in my garage. I will be using the G910 from now on.

How to Get one NOW

From what I can see nobody has stock in Australia until around the 24th of december 2014, but MightyApe.com.au have stock in NZ which takes 2-3 days to arrive via DHL. That is faster than most stuff I have ordered from Sydney to Melb.

I got mine for $200 which is $50 less than the pre-orders at Australian suppliers. Add in the $35 express DHL delivery and I am still under the local price and I got it 4 weeks early. If you want to wait 4-6 days for postal delivery you can pay as little as $5 for delivery and save another $30.

...be warned you may regress to a child and shout "its so pretty" when you first plug it in....

EDIT: Added ARX details, addition lighting details, usability details.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  16. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Exceptional review mate, love it. Will put the review at the beginning when I get home, posting using the phone at the moment.

17. akromatic

akromatic Member

how is the phone app when comboed with the G910? it seems really limited when using it with my mouse.

i just feel that the little screens on the G15 etc has more function/usability to it

there isnt any applets beyond what it comes with

18. Kismet

Kismet Member

From what i can see the phone app is the same on the G910 as it was when I tested it on my G15. It has Games, G-keys, media control, and a really fancy system stats that includes CPU, GPU with temps, etc.
    It will be possible to add more pages as people create them as the bottom list for selecting pages can scroll left and right.

Keep in mind logitech have released a software developers kit for adding features to the phone app, so it wont be long before you can download extra stuff. The G15 has had around 8 years of people making apps for it so we need to remember that and give people time to make stuff for the new ARX interface.

I took a quick look at the ARX software developers kit and it is a lot more flexible than what the G15 was able to do. It already controls VLC player right out of the box with it's media controls.

One very nice feature of ARX is that you can lock it so it only talks to known devices. That way your neighbor cant link up and turn down your volume! (which was a problem with the VLC's own remote app)

Note: these details have been added to the main review. Will answer any questions asked.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  19. OP
    OP
    Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Thanks mate, have linked you up on page 1 with this excellent review.

20. Fluffy_duck

Fluffy_duck Member

LOGITECH G910 Orion Spark

Bit the bullet and bought one from MSY for $228, could have waited for DSE to have it in stock and for their 30-40% off Logitech gear but.. meh
    I know Kismet did a really good review and I have used similar keyboards except my last keyboard was the G710+ so someone might have some interest in my musings and I will try and keep comparisons between the G910 and G710+

First impressions are:

• The keyboard has a flatter profile, the G710+ had a bit of a slope. Hard to explain but putting both keyboards together you can easily tell.
    • The keys have the raised edges on the key compared to the more traditional G710+ keys and feel a little bit bigger.
    • Typing is a lot quieter and obviously feels different between both type of switches.
    • Size wise they are about the same I only mention this because I read a review complaining about the size, if you have ever owned a G keyboard you know what you are getting.
    • No USB on the keyboard, not that it's a deal breaker to me but it was handy having the USB port on the G710+

I'll add to this after I have played with it some more. However first impressions are going from the G710+ it does feel different.. duh.. but $200+ is a lot of $$ for a keyboard so for those sitting on the fence maybe wait until you can play with one first.