Logitech G35 mini review

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by aokman, Jul 19, 2009.

1. aokman

aokman Member

Hey guys, after deciding on gaming headphones recently i was stumped about what to buy and i found reviews on a lot of websites just didn't seem to cover some real details when it came to these products so i thought id share my opinion on the latest purchase :)

I grabbed these G35 headphones about 3 days ago after reading review after review of the Razer Barracuda and these G35's. In the end i settled on the G35's mainly from the more positive opinions of users and the better build quality shown in the pictures. Now before i go any further i will mention that these were purchased purely for gaming as i have my surround for anything else.

Upon opening the modest packaging i found the usual stuff, headphones, manuals, drivers CD and various sized headbands to fit any type of nerds noggin :)

The G35 headset itself is incredibly well built, the outer enclosures are made out of very solid rubberized plastic which i love the feel off. The headband is metal with plenty of reinforcement screws to ensure durability and flexibility. The microphone folds away easily and can be bent in all directions for optimum placement. The mic automatically mutes when folded up and vice versa, it also has a light on the tip that can be set to various states (i set it to light on when muted).

The cord is braided for strength but is also stiff and can get in the way sometimes, the molding for the cord at the headphones is long and flexible to ensure the cord does not break internally from constant movement. The ear cups are very comfortable and high quality material that should stand the tests of time unlike other sets ive had that rip after 6 months. Finally you have a wide array of buttons at your disposal, 3 programmable buttons with a mute button, volume dial (tied directly into windows volume control) and a Dolby switch.

Initial setup was a breeze, i downloaded the drivers from Logitech instead to make sure it was the latest version, a quick few minute install and i plugged the USB in and job done. Most of the setup was already done i just had to set my mic volume and configure the shortcut keys.

The shortcut keys can be used for almost anything you want, i set 2 up for voice morphing just to annoy people and the last one to start ventrillo :) The microphone equipped on this headset is about the best i have ever used, very clear with no background noise whatsoever. The voice morphing is a great feature when your bored ;)

The sound stage created by the Dolby system can take a bit of getting used to but overall it is a great thing, it creates a false illusion of open space with the sound output. Usually you have the feeling of sound being driven straight into your ears but this effect feels more like an actual surround system, its downside is that you can pickup on a bit of an echo effect sometimes.

Once i was all prepped i fired up Left 4 Dead for a start, i set the speaker config to 7.1 and joined in on some clan prac for the night, immediately i noticed a massive improvement over my old ratty headphones, i could pinpoint anything in front of me to within a very close mark, behind was harder to pick but was still much better. It can take time to learn how to interpret some sounds however such as below and above.

I then moved on to Arma2, the ambiance created out in the open fields was simply amazing with helicopters approaching you can pick them quite easily in the sky, direction of weapons fire was spot on and other effects. However the game lacks much audio options and some sounds can be played with the impression that its coming from all around you? Hopefully a patch will come for that later.

After some gaming i decided to try them out for music, not their main use but i had to give them a go anyway. I fired up some of my best FLAC files and the Tiesto live and i was greeted with a solid bass from the drivers that doesn't dominate the sound field, the mid range and high end were still clear and sharp, even with the music you get the impression your ears arn't shoved up against speakers and your in a better listening environment. There is a limit to how loud these things will go but they still drive quite hard, they definitely don't fall short in this field.

Finally i decided to see how OSX would react to these USB headphones, i plugged them in and not a peep from OSX, weird so i popped into the sound devices and there is a G35 already installed, i switched over to it and i was listening in seconds, the volume dial automatically brings up the OSX volume pop up aswell! MIC also works perfectly :)

Overall i had a hard time coughing up the cash for this set at the start but now i wonder how i ever thought twice about them, the build quality is top notch (an amazing thing for Logitech) sound quality i couldn't fault to be honest, it met my every expectation, but im not going to say it will compete with higher end sets as ive never tried them ;) Sound positioning works but can take some getting used to. You get the feeling that Logitech really listened to what people wanted with this set and it shows with the small features they put into it...

Pros:

Excellent build quality
    Positioning sound that works (based on game support)
    Shortcut keys on headset
    Good sound reproduction
    Full OSX support
    No sound card required
    Annoying voice changer :)
    Mic is crystal clear
    No fuss driver installation
    Different sized headbands
    Good sound isolation - really lets you focus on what your doing

Cons:

Bit big and heavy but you get used to it
    Braided cord is a bit stiff and can get in the way
    Small wires for each ear piece can be seen and could be snagged
    Adjustment slides sometimes like to slide in when your putting them over your head
    Good sound isolation - you end up screaming your head off into the MIC ;)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  2. Frostex

Frostex Member

one thing you havn't covered. whats it like using for 20+ hours straight at a lan party (or just a long night on wow with the day of work the next morning:p ).

Ive used headphones in the $100-$150 range before and they still hurt my ears after a few hours.

3. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

I have to say for the first 2 days they were a little uncomfortable but i have gotten used to them now :) just taking them off when your changing levels and whatnot was enough for me when i just got them :)

But they are definitely not the spawn of Satan that people make them out to be because they claim surround sound, under the hype there is a good set of gaming headphones waiting to be loved :)

4. promiscuousboy

promiscuousboy Member

thanks for the review mate will help with my headset choice :cool::thumbup:

5. shadowman

shadowman Member

Just a suggestion, if you could list the RRP that would be neat :) (which I've found to be $159.95 I think).

I've got a pair of these on loan from a friend after he lectured me for about an hour about how awesome they were.

Now, I'm not an audiophile by any means, but these things, well, they didn't quite live up to my expectations (which weren't that high).

The other two sets of headphones I have are Beyerdynamic DTX800 and Alessandro MS-1, both comparable in price, but not in features.

In my opinion, the sound quality for the G35's is ok, but nothing fantastic. As far as gaming goes, they are probably a bit better than the MS-1, but lacking compared to the DTX800. Obviously with the MS-1 and DTX800 you don't have surround ability, but I find that software surround seems to work fine, especially on recent motherboard sound chips or dedicated sound cards. As for sound isolation, they are very nice due to the ear pads (if that is what they are called). Sound isolation on my other two headphones is lackluster.

The comfort of them is awful, at least on my head (I have a boof head). My MS-1's are slightly annoying to wear as they go over the ear, whereas my DTX800s are bliss. I wear my DTX800s at LAN parties on occasions, and after 8+ hours of gaming, they are barely recognisable - to the extent that I sit on my couch and listen to music and fall asleep with them on.

The G35's have a what I would call a decent mic, at least better than any mic I've had on other headsets. Again, the other two headphones lack a mic.

All in all, I'd say if the G35's could be had for around $100-$120, they would be worth it for me, but IMO if you have a decent $150 set of headphones, then these probably won't impress you much.

6. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

i brought mine for $169 which yes is alot but i was not looking for audio bliss from them, but i was not disappoined either, they leaps and bounds ahead of my older sets which were $100-$120, i have my surround sound already as i said but the speakers are not orientated for the PC so they are useless and i wanted a fully functional set of gaming headphones to fill in the gap.

The mic is the best i have used so far and ive had quite a few of them and the sound isolation i loved as i get pulled into the game more. Sound quality is not up to spec of headphones of a similar cost as you say but you cant expect it either for the extra features fitted to the headphones as standard.

As ive said people seem to confuse these headphones and constantly put them up against dedicated products, its not really fair on them as it was never the true purpose, coming from Logitec, they were never meant to target the audio fanatic type people :)

7. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

So you get a USB soundcard, mic and headphones with a few buttons on for $150~

My HD25's cost me $200, and that was uber cheap. So that seems like a pretty good deal for those looking for a dedicated gaming headset.

While I'm here, any tips for a dedicated mic? I'd like a desk one as the aforementioned HD25's don't have a mic and I can barely use other headphones now.

8. keeni

keeni Member

I've been using these headphones for a little over two weeks now. They replaced my sennheiser hd215. I agree these headphones took a couple of days to get used. After that they have been great. Sound is clear with nice deep bass. Mic is crystal clear, and even after about 6 to 7 hrs a night of wearing them they are still very comfortable.

9. AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar Member

Been thinking bout these for a while. As soon as they drop to $120/$130 range I'm in :thumbup:

Fluidtek have them for $149 :thumbup:

10. Kozzie

Kozzie Member

im interested in hearing what the lads from headphonic think about them

11. Impression

Impression (Banned or Deleted)

Just a question for lots of those wondering, how do these affect CPU performance ?

also larger headphones create issues for those who have to wear glasses at the pc, how does this work for people with specs ?

12. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

Was gonna say 'ok but how do they compare to real headphones?' but your quote is pretty much the same thing I'm only typing this so I don't have to put 10char

13. samo

samo Member

im guessing they wouldnt stack up too well.

14. Wodan

Wodan Member

Me too, i've been using DT234pro's for awhile now but the mic has taken a beating from long gaming hours and only functions in a select position.

Also find they get sore after an hour or two.

Above those, the MMX300 is $599 so was hoping the G35 would be a cheaper alternative replacement for the DT234's.

15. keeni

keeni Member

I wear these with my glasses and dont have any problems at all.

16. Silenius

Silenius Member

WIth the USB connection it seems that it's receiving digital audio from the PC. My question is whether it bypasses the sound card. I presume EAX works through these though.

But yeah, just a word of warning, if you buy these don't expect to utilise the sound quality of a Xonar or X-Fi. The digital-analogue converters do the real legwork in that department and the use of USB rather than analogue (quite stupid IMO) means that the soundcard's DACs aren't used at all.

17. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

I prefer USB headsets over jack-style headphones, at least for the purpose of voice chat. I have a USB logitech headset (not the G35 but one of the current style ones they have out at the moment) which I really only use for Ventrilo. I have a decent set of speaker which I use for listening to any other type of sound related stuff on my PC (music, gaming, etc) and I don't want to have to play around with plugging a headset into the jacks everytime I want to use Ventrilo

A USB headset allows me to do this, as I can just set Windows to use the speakers by default and have Ventrilo setup to only use the headset.

18. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

have to say i like the USB aswell, i thought it would cause issues but it is perfect, i imagine these wouldn't be as loud either without USB supplying them with the power, as for processor usage i cant really comment but i may look into it, hardly an issue anymore with current processors id say.

19. shadowman

shadowman Member

I use a Logitech USB mic I bought about 2 years ago for $70 like this one:http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/microphones/devices/221&cl=US,EN

They are way less than that now, but it works fine as long as its directly in front of you. It doesn't pick up much background noise at all. I bought it because my PC originally had onboard sound which had dynamic ports on the soundcard, so the mic input was also one of the surround channels, therefore I couldn't have surround speakers and a mic at the same time, hence I needed a USB mic. Seems to do the trick for me, the length of the stem may put you off a bit though.

20. irR4tiOn4L

irR4tiOn4L Member

Ah, so if ive got this right, it doesnt have the audio quality of, say, Sennheisers, but its got a 'surround' effect going? Have you also tried using the X-Fi 3d headphone surround option with quality headphones to compare?

To be honest, im just a little surprised someone can justify spending $169 on headphones with inferior sound. I would have gone for sound quality every time