1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Logitech Harmony discontinued

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by th3_hawk, Apr 12, 2021.

1. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/10/22377015/logitech-discontinues-harmony-universal-remotes

Offical Announcement: Announcement: Harmony Remote Manufacturing, Service and Support Update

A sad day indeed. While we are down to only one TV in the house using a Harmony remote, I have a few spares in varying states, although the newest one is a Logitech Harmony One. I know a lot of people have struggled to get their remotes working, but my experience is once you spend the time to tweak the config for your setup it does just what it says on the box.

With near 100% Wife Approval Factor (WAF) it has been an invaluable piece of kit for controlling the TV, receiver and all the device plugged into it. Switching between 'activities' just works. Volume control is consistent and the remote lives on its charging dock. It really is such an elegant solution.

But, the sad reality is the other two TV's in the house don't need a universal remote anymore.

The one in the bedroom is rarely used and only has an Apple Tv 4 plugged into it and with CEC it can turn itself on and off and control the volume from the dink Apple Remote.

The one in the games room does have two consoles plugged in, so the learning curve is knowing where the source button on the remote is. That's it. Being an older (and much thicker) LCD it actually has pretty decent speakers that crank right up. Playing Rock Band with my daughter is awesome on this screen, although the day it dies and/or gets replaced with a newer larger unit it will need a receiver (or sound bar) because modern TV's have shit sound.

The main TV in the lounge does have full CEC support across the stack and it seems to work consistently(ish), at least if the Apple TV 4K in that room, the XBox One and Switch struggle and while we could probably get by with just the receiver remote (which does seem to make the TV follow it's on/off signal), it's needlessly complicated for the wife and kids who really only need three source buttons, volume and power the vast vast majority of the time.

At least for the foreseeable future we have the Harmony remote, although I really need to go into the software and re-configure it to reflect the current setup and maybe push the config to both the in use Harmony One as well as the backup... that was even if the server gets switched off and the main remote dies I can still continue to use it as long as my config is in place (and maybe even beyond assuming Apple and Samsung continue to keep the same IR coding).

2. 4saken

4saken Member

I agree, you gotta spend the time to get the damn things working, and then they just work forever. The software is breath-takingly garbage. But yeah, I don't have a VHS and DVD and CD player connected any more.. so I tend to agree with their reasoning on this.

3. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Well this is a massive inconvenience.. considering some of us have more then 3 devices in a tv cabinet and prefer the look of 1 remote instead of 5+..

4. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

5. pezzy

pezzy Member

i'm assuming the database will continue to grow? it's so damn extensive that you can pretty much control anything that takes IR signals. was surprised to find lesser known devices in there.

6. OP
    OP
    th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

While I wanted the hub, I've never gone there. I liked the idea of being able to use a smartphone to control thing *ONLY* if there was also a dedicated remote that was state aware of the system giving the best of both worlds. I also didn't want something reliant on some service provided by a 3rd party (not that I know if that is the case with the Hub or not).

But yes, wholeheartedly agree that a dedicated remote is the best option.

The same premise goes for IoT devices like smart bulbs... I don't want my only option to be finding and unlocking my phone, then finding the right app to turn on the light. I'm loving my DETA Grid connect switches which provide a touch button on the wall to turn on a dumb bulb, but also the ability to use an app from anywhere with internet connectivity or to yell at Google/Alexa.

Right up until they decide to turn it off. I would love to think they would open source the code to allow the community to continue to run the service or even just provide a stand alone app that includes all the known (at that point in time) IR information... surely that list of IR codes can't be too big a file?? Hell, a stand alone app could be an awesome step forward compared to the dumpster fire of sluggish nightmares the current one is :p

JSmithDTV likes this.
  7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

There's never been a lot of updates over the years for my Harmony, it always just worked with no issues whatsoever. Software was always crap, but I spent quite a bit of time setting mine up maybe 8 years ago at least now, and haven't really had to change much other than deleting/adding a replacement device.

So really for me there's been no company reliance, which means I'm not bothered by the discontinuing. My product will still work into the future and will be supported if required.

8. Mayfield

Mayfield Member

This is bad news I really like their remotes, the kids busted the last one and I had to buy another one. I might have to go back to the dreaded JBhifi and get another one and put it in stock just in case - little rascals.

9. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Must agree once you have loaded up the web page, with your audio / video devices, it's simply a matter of plugging the remote in and hitting "up-date". And while new models will cease to be available, the programmable software will last a few more years.

I've gone through quite a few remotes over the last 20 odd years, with 2 x 525's and 3 x 785's. One 785 lost the Device key., and dispite all attempts, failed to work. I use a 785 in the main lounge room and another in my sound studio. I would be lost with out them as I do need all 15 channels. Plus the fact that 3 of my systems also work via "triggers" and it's very doubtful they will ever produce another remote that's capable of that number of outlets.

Many, many years ago I did have a Phillips, which cost 5 times the price of the Harmony's with half the program's available..

10. nico6

nico6 Member

We've gone through one or two 880s and on our third 650. The common buttons start to go, maybe we mash them?, and there's only so many alternate buttons to program until a replacement is needed. Time for a spare...

11. CeeAyeEee

CeeAyeEee Member

the harmony remote was so good I investigated how I could have its babies.
    The ER nurse was kind enough to give it back to me in a plastic bag.
    one day...

Snoops and JSmithDTV like this.
  12. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

I'm not suprised in the slightest. The capabilities were great, but they watered down the cheaper models over the years and the software was complete garbage.

HDMI-CEC is inconsistent and not full featured, but between it and people having mostly basic setups of TV+Soundbar these days that didn't help their cause.

th3_hawk likes this.
  13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Possible, is it a whole family using them with heavy use?

I've not had that issue with the Logi remotes I've had over the years.

14. nico6

nico6 Member

Yeah, family devices, and I'd say the least one has lasted longest as the troop has matured

15. ecroF

ecroF Member

I used to love these, but hdmi CEC seems to do pretty much everything I need these days I didn't bother to reprogram it last time I got a new TV. Not an option with a big or older reciever though but having 2 remotes isn't the end of the world.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah it does for the basic functionality, channel up/down, volume up/down.....but I found it has problems when you want other functions like the Foxtel Guide which I use all the time. Logitech remote I have seems to cover everything I need.

Dr Evil likes this.
  17. ecroF

ecroF Member

Yeah I can't seem to enable Night mode on my Yamaha amp unless I keeps its remote handy.

18. philquad

philquad Member

i got a new one here i never used, might have to auction it lol
    i found the buttons too hard to press
    down to 2 remotes now anyway, smart tv & foxbox,

19. srey

srey Member

After using a 650 for years, I picked up an Elite (with hub) second hand, since I wanted something that could directly control bluetooth devices, and hook into my Hue lights as well. I've only ever used the phone app when the remote has had a flat battery (or i've misplaced it and can't be bothered looking) and honestly, phones suck for this purpose.

Touch screens offer virtually zero functionality if you're not looking at them; if I want to turn up the volume I just want to lay my hand on the remote and press the button by feel, I don't want to have to unlock my phone, look at it to make sure it's on the right app, then look for the volume button.

I really don't like the big touch screen on the Elite for a similar reason, it's not much use in practice and I tend to bump it occassionally which can start a completely different activity.

20. miicah

miicah Member

With my new TV/Receiver having CEC, the Foxtel remote controls everything.

We used the Harmony a lot before that, as we had a T-Box, Laptop, some sort of streaming box and a DVD player. It's just not needed any more, especially if I buy a new Chromecast for that TV.

the_fuzz likes this.