Logitech X530 bass boost mod

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by the Fan-Man, Jun 18, 2009.

1. the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

those good old Logitech X530 speakers, rated 70W RMS and 140W max.

now although i totally adore this speaker set than any other *including the Z5500D* because the X530 has a much better bass to volume ratio.

here is s sort of simple mod that i did today that pushed the performance of the speakers way past what i thought it was ever capable of

sorry there arent many pics as i didnt think about pics untill well half way thru the mod :S
    PS sorry about the pic quality... pics were taken with a nokia 6110 - i need a new cam asap :S
    --------------

here is our little friend the X530 set

[​IMG]

there is not much i could do with the satelite speakers, they were pretty much fine. but i wanted to work on the sub.

the sub speaker is very very small, taking off that silver grille, the speaker measures about 4" across which is smaller than car stock speakers :S

>>

in another job someone gave me their pioneer speaker system home theatre sub unit because there was a serious electrical fault in the unit.

> this pic below shows the pioneer system and the 4" speaker on top :p
    [​IMG]

so i checked the 10" speaker in that and it was rated at 125W at 4OHM. and so was the logitech speaker. cha-ching!

so i gutted the pioneer system, pulled out the spider coil and amp board.

[​IMG]

i then gutted the X530 which took the longest. as the wires were pretty much glued and stapled down inside.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  2. OP
    OP
    the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

i then put the X530 amp and coil unit on the heatsink plate where the other pioneer amp had been put in, the controls and rca interface for the satelite speakers can be accessed through a vent hole.
    the only flaw was the amp unit couldnt be securely attached. so i decided to use sticky tape!

[​IMG]

i use the existing sub speaker wire and connected it to the logitech amp.

so with a speaker rated at 125W RMS connected to the logitech amp, in a proper speaker box with foam. i decided to give it a test run....
    despide tFM's shonky wiring and stickytape he decided to plug it in,, and!!!>>

[​IMG]

hahahhaha just kidding, i attached the satelites and then to the computer and decided to test it with the bass on full with the tetris remix theme.

[​IMG]

and it worked!!!

the bass was soooo much more than the stock speaker could give, the box made the sound more harder. and the system can peak properly without the sub over-vibrating. This was the unit of my dreams as it puts out as much bass as the Z5500D (within my range of volume) and its still relative to the volume, as the Z500D you can rly only start to hear bass past 1/4 volume.

and it looks like a pro home theatre unit and sounds like it too!

The final unit with the X530 amp and coil in it> [​IMG]

the unit will actually shake the room, and the contents on the desk. it is totally unbeliveable i never thought an X530 would/could do that. and mind you the sub is mounted on carpet now :) just image what it would be like on a harder surface :) the i had sooo much fun testing it i got a complaint from the next door neighbours - mission accomplished!

This idea had come from my car. i got a new car and the stock speakers were 6.5" nokia speakers, i changed them with 6.5" JBL performance mid ranges and got better bass and quality out of them :p

tFM

*ps i have the original Logitech X530 sub actual speaker unit if anyone wants.

3. popolopolous

popolopolous (Banned or Deleted)

But it's not like you need or want more bass with the X530s... I'd prefer it if you could replace all the speakers XD

But nice work, and hell if you have an existing subwoofer why not ;D

4. Lil Flipp

Lil Flipp Member

yerh i got this on my comp i love it.

one problem though i cant get the 2 rear speakers to work as loud as they should. the sound comes out but not as loud as they should be, they sound like tweeters almost. how do i fix this. is it settings in my Audio settings or something or what?

5. OP
    OP
    the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

IF its the only thing i like about vista, you can modify the sub, mid, front and rear speaker levels in the advanced + advanced tabs.

i plugged this system into the new TV, and as a premier movie night (for me and some mates) we watched *i think its called top dog.... or whateva* something to do with attack aircraft and the US navy. anywho...IT WAS SICK!!!!

6. ford ftw

ford ftw Member

Nice mod easy way to increase the bass, if you have the stuff ready why not.:D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  7. Captain Kermit

Captain Kermit Member

Top Gun. One of the best movies out there for testing speakers. When my stepdad got his new Wharfedales he put it on and fast forwarded (back in the days of the VCR) to the landing scene and the jet landing shook the absolute shit out of our house. Ended up cracking a window. Was absolutely awesome.

I don't think I agree with you on x530's being the greatest speakers around, but as always my opinion is "to each his own".

8. OP
    OP
    the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

hahaha they aint the best... but for my budget they are

the B&O beolab 5.... now if you have a spare $35,000 THEY ARE FKN AWESOME - neighbours got them. sick movie nights on their bravia 52"

9. TMM

TMM Member

sorry to ruin your excitement but the 125W rating of the logitech woofer/amp is...erm... optimistic. Realistically it's probably less then 50w. If you drive your little Logitech amp to clipping/distortion you risk overheating the coil in your Pioneer sub.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  10. alch

alch Member

Mine does that without any modding :D Mwahaha.

11. ob1

ob1 Member

agreed! The bass on the standard x530s is so overtly over the top, you could be forgiven for thinking they were faulty out of the box. Its bad.

This mod falls into the category of "I didnt say you COULDNT do it, i said you SHOULDNT do it". :D

Best mod you can do for the x530s is use a software EQ to turn the 80Hz level down about 12db.

12. imgod22222

imgod22222 Member

Actually, I think the x530s can have too much bass sometimes... my friend mixed some tracks, and even when I turn down the sub all the way, you can hear the bassist over the rest of the band. On any other sound system, it sounds balanced.

But these are GREAT budget speakers. Turn up the sub all the way for techno parties @ the house, turn it a little bit higher than min for great sound for everything else. [Ranging from Sublime to PtH]

I also second alch's comment =]

13. curly

curly Member

Agree. I took a set back because I bought them without listening to them first. Even with the sub on minimum they were too bassy.

For movies and techno, they mightn't be too bad.

14. )(arg0n

)(arg0n Member

i always thought these speakers had a bass knob on the control speaker? I guess not. My hercules XPS 510's do, been rocking them since 2003, someone buy me some new ones :p

15. Pic0o

Pic0o Member

I happen to have the same set of speakers and I'm a fan. I actually have the knob (yup, I have one on my stock speakers) all the way down, as even with the knob all the way down, Wifey still catches some rumble 2 rooms away.

Still a cool mod, just not for me, as Wifey would not be such a fan of me playing games all night if the walls were shaking. :p