Logmein's /suicide... Remote Support watdo?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by NSanity, Jan 22, 2014.

1. chip

chip Member

I'll bet that comes in handy all the time!

2. OP
    OP
    NSanity

NSanity Member

Some more info about what i mean with groupings. The *only* default group is "All Machines" and the headings under Meet and Support.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  3. yoink

yoink Member

That's a full-on filter, rather than a grouping - nice!

4. Renza

Renza Member

Is there a particular reason why RD Gateway + RDP can't/isn't used? Once a profile is created, its literally one click for the end user to connect, supports windows authentication, and you don't have to stuff around with connecting a VPN beforehand.

edit: unless this is for admins to access remote endpoints for support. I may have misread something somewhere!

5. OP
    OP
    NSanity

NSanity Member

Predominantly the requirement here.

6. Renza

Renza Member

What about VNC? There's a singleclick version of UltraVNC: http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/sc/

Although more likely to have issues with NAT compared with TV/LMI

7. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

Completely off topic, but those users tick me off to no end, as does the management culture that is happy to continue perpetuating this type of dead-think.

8. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Hi there I am a volunteer for a Non profit community radio station. I like the rest of the volunteers have disabilities and have been using the free version of Logmein to connect to a computer at the radio station. We only keep the station going with volunteers and what we can put in to the station $$$. We don't have money to spend on anything. So does anyone know of a Good Free remote desktop system? Or one that we can get for a Non Profit organization?
    We were given a free account by a sponsor of ThinVnc but like today we can not log on to any account so we need another system that we can use.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  9. chip

chip Member

If you're running Windows desktops in the office, then a free VPN (eg OpenVPN) + MS Remote Desktop is going to be your cheapest option (don't rely on port forwarding). The only hassle might be setting up the VPN, you may need to get someone in to help with this bit.

10. psyco18

psyco18 Member

another vote for simple-help here, we've got about 50 client machines setup. No costing for each machine just per active admin session.

http://simple-help.com/

11. ECHO

ECHO Member

We use the "Calling Card" feature of LMI Rescue which our customers have gotten used to. I had a 10 minute play with ScreenConnect today but they seem to either have Adhoc (Code) or Unattended only.

Does your icon/script just redirect to your 'client' page to enter a code?

12. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

13. OP
    OP
    NSanity

NSanity Member

Update on Screenconnect.

It looks like we will be purchasing it.

This is the kind of response you get from their sales team - 20 minutes after they open for the day.

On top of this, I rang them the other week and spoke to someone in Sales. Apparently all their Sales guys do Level 1 support and Install Assistance - and it shows from the reasonably in depth questions i was asking him over the phone.

They come off as a company who used to use the various usual suspects for remote access, got jack of it, wrote their own and decided to sell it. Very user focused. Very "configurable" software.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I'd like the echo these sentiments. I've had a great response from support although it will be interest to see if the support levels drop due to a massive uptake since the logmein debacle.

15. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Looks like a nice bit of software... interesting to see how you go with it.

16. ECHO

ECHO Member

We're running our SC trial on Linux. Found that LDAP integration doesn't exist in the Linux install. Also had a couple of weird bugs.

That said, it's had a positive reception with our support team (in real world support tests) and as Nsanity has pointed out, their support team has been pretty responsive and keen to help.

Hopefully we can save an absolute bundle by getting rid of LMI Rescue (i'll miss SOME features).

17. thetron

thetron Member

I think you'll find from a customer service point. The concern is what happens when something break with user connecting via remote support and could we create a workaround to stop it from happening

Most people will revert to 3rd parties because gets around complications with remote support. Like firewalls, NAT, closed ports and proxies

The catch of using a "free" 3rd parties remote control app to unknown vulnerabilities.

Like recently someone audited the internet. VNC servers found online were using trial version of remote support application and the application was designed/coded to turn off all security after 30 days, No password or encryption... Anyone would remote into your machine

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  18. thetron

thetron Member

Very important you setup multiple account for each announcer. Rather then sudo/single account for entire broadcasters and two factor authentication

You won't want the password and user name leaking outside of the radio stations. Recreating Hackers Movie Clip Zero Cool (Dade) hacks into TV Station

Alternative you could provide them with a web console on a private VPN. Rather RDP+vpn

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

We have a VPN that grants open access to any machine behind our firewall. There's no "complications". You connect, you have access.

20. thetron

thetron Member

Certain options depending on anywhere you are in the world will block VPN traffic