Logo design for a small cafe - $50

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by killerwombat, Feb 21, 2008.

1. killerwombat

killerwombat Member

A friend of mine owns a cafe in North Sydney and is looking for a new logo.
    They are not looking for something particularly flash, just something to replace their aging logo. They asked a professional designer, but didn't like the results, so I was hoping I could get a bunch of designs here for them to choose from.

No requirements as to what is wanted - just something that will be easy to blow up larger and based on their name: Cafe Mia. The logo will also be used on the website I wrote for them - http://www.cafemia.com.au (more of a display of my wife's photography rather than website design).

The best design chosen will receive $50 via direct deposit. (Obviously no further compensation will be provided, but you will receive credit on the website and your design will be plastered throughout the store!)

Entries close Friday 29 February (since they will be outfitting the store in early March).

Thanks and good luck!

2. teegman

teegman Member

wow!

we get to create the quintessential piece of a businesses branding for the chance of winning $50?!

professional designers, miss this opportunity at your peril!

3. threeam

threeam Member

gold!

this could however appeal to students...but seriously, dont expect professional results.

4. Duncan

Duncan Member

So you say they didn't like the professional results, however they just want something that will be easy to blow up... doesn't make much sense to me :confused:

5. kthnx

kthnx Member

They're pretty awesome photos. Nice site.

I personally think:

[​IMG]

doesn't look too bad. Would have a go at designing one for you - my time is worth a lot less than $50 - but I suck at graphics design.

6. TheSly

TheSly Member

Simple site, but it is all that is required for that business. Does a good job of getting the information across. The photos are also excellent. Colour, composition and lighting are spot on, and your use of them is perfect.

good luck with finding someone for the logo.

7. RomantiK

RomantiK Member

If it was a proper 'professional designer', there should have been quite a few concepts that would have been perfect!

Any chance we could see the designs the designer came up with? :) Only asking because others may be interested in seeing what style the clients have turned down, so they don't make the same mistake going down the same path ;)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  8. OP
    OP
    killerwombat

killerwombat Member

Thanks for all your replies, we are flattered by the compliments about the website :D

Yes I understand this. I've seen great designs/artwork/photos/etc produced here on OCAU that were not done by "professionals", yet were definitely the same in terms of quality.

What I meant was something that can be used on billboards and signs in the actual shop, rather than say a 60x40 pixel image for the website that can't be easily enlarged.

I'll see what I can get from them.

9. ChauChauNam

ChauChauNam (Banned or Deleted)

Here is mine...

[​IMG]

I can also help you with the webpage...turn it into HTML/CSS rather than the tabled layout you currently have. PM me for the 300dpi Photoshop file...

10. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

looks modern and clean :thumbup: nice

11. juppy

juppy Member

need to see their original logo... plus what the designers have come up with (if they are allowed to show that).

Also need some background on the business... who is the clientelle... age/sex/yuppies.... builders.... teens..... what sort of food.... just coffee?.... vego.... mixed.....?

Is Mia the owner?

12. OP
    OP
    killerwombat

killerwombat Member

Hey, that's awesome!
    (BTW - redeemed the Flight Centre voucher, no problems :) )

kthnx posted the current logo above on the fifth post.

The clientele is almost all business people - it's located in the North Sydney CBD directly opposite the train station. Food is usual Sydney cafe food - mix of sandwiches/foccacia/turkish bread/etc, burgers, pasta, cakes, as well as typical drinks (but no alcohol). Also does some catering for nearby companies.

And Mia is not the owner - name was taken from previous owners.

13. zeeps

zeeps Member

I am willing to take them on as a client. I would have to have a face to face meeting first. Money is not an issue..

I'd like to see how I can help your friend (I know what it's like with startups),

Regards,

Francis Aleph Saggi(Gregory
    CEO | Saggi Pty Ltd | Mayhem #384440
    media@saggi.com.au
    0435 149 521

"Creating a sustainable world while reaching for the stars"

14. Paul Warren

Paul Warren Member

Go here and post a job add: http://www.australianinfront.com.au/

Spend $1500 to get some decent branding and a website that's not from the 80's.

It'll do your business a world of good.

-----

Zeeps: The drop down boxes on your website don't work with Firefox.

15. Gigitt

Gigitt Member

Here is a Business Card with my logo design

[​IMG]

16. OP
    OP
    killerwombat

killerwombat Member

zeeps:
    The business is not a start up and already has quite a lot of business, so thanks for the offer, but I think your time would be better spent with start ups that have a greater need of your generosity.

Paul Warren:
    The business is a small cafe and doesn't need the type of marketing you are suggesting. As with most small businesses, they try to minimise costs without trying to cut corners. We offered to do their website for free as friends, and also to display my wife's photography.

We were hoping for a bunch of simple designs that people could come up with in a short period of time, with the incentive of a small cash prize. Ideas like ChauChauNam and Gigitt's designs are what we are looking for.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  17. zeeps

zeeps Member

Cheers Paul, It's designed like that. We prefer to get clients via word of mouth and handpick them. Design is only one very small aspect of the business ;)

http://formargroup.net/ is the design group we are spinning off.

18. zeeps

zeeps Member

I understand and agree, sounds like a good opp for an aspiring student!

19. juppy

juppy Member

[​IMG]

Nothing too exciting, font is freeware but requires permission for commercial use... although its still free unless you want to slip the designer a few dollars donation. Nice and easy for print and signage.

Edit: if the image above is missing, the ugbox imagestore server is down (as it is now), check back a little later.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  20. ChauChauNam

ChauChauNam (Banned or Deleted)

Ahhh. Excellent. I knew your username looked familiar lol...glad you had no problems with it. But I was pretty sure you wouldn't have any problems as was confirmed at the Flight Centre store. ;)