Logo design for a small cafe - $50

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by killerwombat, Feb 21, 2008.

1. david_345

david_345 Member

Gotta love the smartarse comments.

Why is it that designers have no idea what it takes to run a business? You ask for something that would take someone 15 minutes and you get offered a solution that 30 times the price and full of unneeded crap.

2. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

I love these threads just because of all the whingers.

Opportunities like this are great for students and people who don't have experience as they can use it to build up a portfolio.

Last year there was a similar ad for a computer program on here, everyone scoffed that it was only paying $150. I told the guy I'd give it a crack and then after I've finished I'd provide a demo and based on how long it actually took me I'd charge accordingly. Anyway I got $500 from it in the end (I actually asked for less and they said they'd pay that much). The client got what they wanted at a cheaper price than it would have cost them to go through a software company so they were happy with it, I gained experience which was worth more to me than the money and it worked great on my resume when I was recently applying for jobs as it showed that I was motivated to get experience and could manage a project from start to end even though it was a small one (Note: I've been programming for 4 years but the program was in a language I didn't have any experience in so I was looking for some experience in it as I wanted to move into that area)

So seriously, if you think $50 isn't worth your time then just ignore the thread, but for all those out there that need experience more than likely the experience would be worth more than the $50 to you anyway.

3. juppy

juppy Member

Logo design isnt always a 15 minute job though. Good design can make or break your company image.

I'd agree with this comment. If you dont like the thread, then dont bother posting, and for the time it takes you to create a pisstake logo, perhaps spend a few extra minutes and come up with something a little more constructive. Not every business in the world has thousands of spare dollars to throw into logo design.... you might find that helping out one business for next to nothing actually creates goodwill that will flow through to you in other ways further down the track. Naturally... there are some low life's that tend to just rip people off, but hey thats the nature of the game.

Whilst $50 might be a bargain and quite possibly underpaying the person who eventually wins... its up to the designer if they want to bother spending the time to create something that may possibly have a bit of potential.

I usually put in a bit of an effort when I see these types of contests, gives me a chance to put my mind into action and possibly grab a few dollars as well. Ive made quite a few logos for clients over the past few years being a web designer and typographer. I dont profess to be a shit hot designer by any means but like to put in some effort to anything that I create. Sometimes if I see a free program that I like and it has absolutely no logo or one that is crapolla I'll create a mockup of a new logo and send it over to them, quite often they are grateful for the effort.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  4. david_345

david_345 Member

While I completely agree with you theres a difference between designing for a corporate environment and designing for a cafe. I'd suggest the quality of his coffees will be more of a make or break situation than any logo.

5. juppy

juppy Member

Thats very true.... and if he was a startup it would be a different story. A startup would generally show slower growth if they were to have a scribbled sign made out of cardboard out the front of their shop. If they were already established as a great place to have a coffee then they could get away with this, but if they were new then good signage would help to encourage people into the shop.

6. bazzawhut

bazzawhut Member

Someone missed the memo.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2008
  7. ChauChauNam

ChauChauNam (Banned or Deleted)

And what memo is that?

8. stoj19.

stoj19. Member

I'll have a crack....

9. bazzawhut

bazzawhut Member

Woops I missed page two.
    I was still stuck on page one where everyone was offering their hardiest of MS Paint attempts.

10. juppy

juppy Member

gone a bit quiet in here.

11. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

you would be suprised. :thumbup:

12. Paul Warren

Paul Warren Member

I like to think I know what I'm talking about, having worked with countless graphic designers, usability and web designers over the years.

As well as writing the cheques to pay said designers myself.

Jackass.

13. juppy

juppy Member

Paul, are you the designer in question here?

Edit: Just got my head around your post... figured it out now.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  14. david_345

david_345 Member

That must be why you came up with such a brilliant solution. Just because you like to think you know what you're talking about doesn't mean it's true.

If you understood what it takes for a small business to generate $1500 to spend on a logo then I might have a little more respect for your opinion.

15. stoj19.

stoj19. Member

i'll be entering something tonight :p once I finish it lol

16. Nashkell

Nashkell Member

17. teegman

teegman Member

So does whoever wins this have to hand over the copyright to their design too?

18. OP
    OP
    killerwombat

killerwombat Member

Well, if the cafe can use the logo for no cost (guaranteed into the future) other than the prize money, then no, copyright remains with the designer.

Otherwise, I can't think of another way around it other than handing over copyright.

19. juppy

juppy Member

guessing that none of the logos have taken their fancy so far?

29th Feb has passed so wondering if they had taken a liking to anything produced so far?

20. OP
    OP
    killerwombat

killerwombat Member

They are reviewing the designs at the moment, they have to make a decision soon as they are having renovations done.

I'll get back to this thread as soon as I am informed of what design they choose, and will post the final design (if none of the above).