Logo Re-Design critique

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by Primüs, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Primüs

Primüs Member

Hi *,

Now first off, i'd like to point out I am primarily a developer. I can make nice clean user interfaces with basic graphics but once it comes to the more advanced graphic manipulation I haven't had a heap of experience.

SO having said that, the parent company that I work for has not had its logo redone in quite some time, or any of the companies really for that matter that I work for, but im starting with the parent.

I tried to keep it in a similar design but just a bit cleaner and more updated, so i'd appreciate some critique on the look etc.

Old:
    [​IMG]

New:
    [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. ikonz0r

ikonz0r Member

Its a refreshing change.
    Only suggestion is maybe piss the grid off and convey the whole "power grid" thing in some other form. Or maybe make the grid bigger like in the original design (Less squares) :thumbup:

3. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Is it Australia Power Control Systems or Power Control Systems Australia?

The firsts logo suggests the latter, your logo suggests the former (text size, placement). :confused:

Could be worth having some kind of gradient on the grid so it is less prominent but still a feature.

4. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Try making the map of Australia itself into a power grid, just chuck some lines through it and blend it in.

5. OP
    OP
    Primüs

Primüs Member

I couldn't really think of another way to convey the grid, as I had the same idea of getting rid of it. I'll play around with same size grid just bigger squares

It's Australia Power Control Systems, so what you said means my logo conveys that better, which is good :) As said i wanted to get rid of the grid so i'll try a gradient or something to make it less prominent.

I played around with a different render on the map, but it got a bit distracting behind the text. I'll see if i saved a copy and upload it :)

Thanks for the suggestions all :).

6. m3k

m3k Member

its a bit busy, but I think its alright, if I were to address the grid id simply not confine it to the box. it might help represent the company better if it plans on expanding ...

lolol you can tell i've done this abit :(

7. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Make the grid grey IMO, so it's just visible and the map will stand out better.

8. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

There's a bit much going on in it, I'd make it much simpler, when you start using a logo like that on smaller sizes it starts looking a little funky

9. Lagerphone

Lagerphone Member

Might also want to try a simpler, more stylised map of Australia.

10. thetron

thetron Member

Ditch the word Australia

So just Power. It's simple and more identifyable

11. Anteros

Anteros Member

So, the company's name us " Australia Power Control Systems" but he should just have " Power Control Systems" in the logo? :S

12. thetron

thetron Member

Making the name power control systems is easier and australia is too generic

13. Frag

Frag Member

No offense, your effort is great and better than I could do.

A logo should be handled by a professional. End of the day this is what many people will see... unfortunately you can tell a pro from a backyard job. And on occasion this makes a different first impression.,,

14. Anteros

Anteros Member

I agree, seeing Australia is a business name is a bit tacky, but it is a pre-existing company, I doubt they would change their name.

15. thetron

thetron Member

Thats what I am getting at. It forces you to put a generic picture of Australia or flag

16. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Australia Post.
    Australian Air Express.
    Australian Open.
    Australian Football League.
    Australian Agricultural Company.
    Thales Australia.
    Australian Gas Light Company.

I could go on, but I won't. My point is that it does not force you to put an Australian map in the logo.

I doubt they will just change their company name for a new logo. I'd sooner just get a better logo designed.

17. thetron

thetron Member

The point trying to make. Not all them use australia map

18. OP
    OP
    Primüs

Primüs Member

Forgot about this thread somewhat :\

Thanks for the kind words Baker :)

And yes it is a backyard job. This is a parent company and not usually the frontline image given to prospective clients, as such our focus is more hiring designers to maintain our front business'. THis was just something I wanted to have a crack at personally.

To the idea of removing Australia from the name, the company has been around for 10-15 possibly more years with that in it's name, there is no way it is losing it. I wasn't out to design a new logo, just re-imagine the current one.

I went with as is for now as my focus got pulled away to something else, as usually happens. I'm happy and my boss is happy with how it is and the improvement over the old one, in the future I may heed the suggestions of a lighter grey on the grid with perhaps a gradient mixed in for good measure.