1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Long 7ish hr HK Stopover

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by LayZ, Jan 27, 2020.

1. LayZ

LayZ Member

Well originally I had planned to explore HK with my partner and get dinner but between the protests and coronavirus it no longer seems worth it.

530pm - 1am

How do I go about getting a lounge pass for somewhere in HK Airport, any recommendations on things to do?

2. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

HK is still fine to visit for this. Bring a mask and some of the hand washing gel if you want, but otherwise it's business as usual. Maybe avoid busy parts of TST/Mong Kok/Sham Shui Po like Canton Rd or Nathan Rd, if you want to run into less mainlanders. I'd suggest heading to the island, look at places to eat between Sheung Wan and Wan Chai, loads of good food. Openrice.com is the best way to check restaurants in HK.

Protests are almost a non-issue, you won't have issues with this unless you were stopping on a Sunday, going through a protest prone neighbourhood and were extremely unlucky.

Which airline and class are you flying? Do you have any reciprocal rights from your ticket? All the good food in the airport is in departures, although the arrival hall does have some HK style food, but not as much. The Plaza Premium lounge near gate 1 isn't worth it, it's usually busy, the food isn't as plentiful as it was and the drinks are more limited now. They have the Plaza Premium First lounge or whatever it's called but haven't been. Normally I go to the Cathay Business lounges, the Pier is my preferred near gate 65. I usually fly Cathay so not sure what the entrance requirements are for non-Cathay/DragonAir flyers.

3. OP
    OP
    LayZ

LayZ Member

Flying MEL to HKG thrn HKG TO NAR via HK Airlines.

Partner has Velocity Platinum AMEX but ir only gives us access to AMEX and Virgin lounges in Aus.

Partner is saying mo go for leaving airport amd the trip is largrly focused around me so I feel inclined to listen!

I used pointhacks for Dragonpass so can get Plaza for $45aud or Qantas for $85aud

4. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

No problem. Still bring a mask and handwash gel even for the airport. Airports are filthy places. HK seems to be sold out of masks lately, a whole grey market has popped up just to accommodate demand.

Just double checked, the plaza lounge at gate 1 is closed for normal passengers so it'd have to be the other ones (gate 35, gate 60), which I've never been to. $45AUD isn't bad I guess, just hope it's not too busy for you. Normally a queue 5-10 people deep in my experience. Like a night club, waiting for people to leave before we can enter :lol:

FYI the Qantas lounge closes at midnight in HK. Should be better than Plaza but $85 is pretty steep... might be worth it these days if only to get away from the crowds in the departure halls (or the other plaza lounges!)

5. OP
    OP
    LayZ

LayZ Member

We have detol hand sanitizer and masks ready :p My partner is extremely cautious.

Hopefully the situation with the virus and protesting etc and late arrival means it will be quieter than normal.

6. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Hasn't been super dead for me, but it is a little quieter. I tend to fly in the mornings though, not sure about evenings. Jealous of your holiday, enjoy your trip!

7. OP
    OP
    LayZ

LayZ Member

I see, thanks!

One month in Japan should be good, just want the Aussie dollar to stop tanking!

8. wwwww

wwwww Member

Use the CX first lounge near gate 65. With 7 hours you can probably fit in a few foot massages, a few meals.