1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Long term storage of your precious photos

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Embercide, Jan 23, 2014.

1. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

8GB of photos??

how many is that??
    print your favorites out.

have you ever looked back at all of them at all?

then you can get 4x 2tb (different brand HDDS) and back them up a few times?

send a set to a relative of yours / best mate for safe keeping in case your house gets flooded/burnt/broken into.

there's NO WAY I would send them off to the cloud.

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Yes it's a true. I love stealing photos of people spending time with their family. It is uber interesting :) It reminds me of that uncle that makes you watch his family videos from the 80's where he goes to Tenerife each year.

3. spectre257

spectre257 Member

At the moment dual backups on my desktop and external hard drives.

But in the process of building a NAS to make a more permanent solution.

4. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

have you ever traveled away from home without your computer/laptop/tablet/backup drive and suddenly find you need access to your files, imagine logging into your cloud storage site and being able to download it there and then, or upload a file that you created on some computer while on holidays.

if i shoot a video or take photos while away, they temporarily go in the cloud and i deal with them when i return, and as much as everyone screams internet privacy, i am not that concerned, if someone can break my 10 digit apha/numeric mediafire password and then crack my 20 digit 7zip passwork, then they can have them.

i disagree with both these options, firstly who burns stuff to optical media, like most laptops and computers wont have optical drives soon, and i dont even burn wedding videos to bluray, everyone just wants their videos on a portable usb hdd these days and take it to an HD tv and plug in/play it to those who want to watch it.

storing a hdd with all your stuff on it in a bank vault may protect the files that you had up until that point in time, but what happens if you lose all your other updated backups in your home and the bank vault hdd is all you have left, you lose everything that has not been put onto that portable hdd.

if you have anything valuable, and you are always adding or changing files, running a complete storage backup should be done at least once every day.

i have karens replicator set to do my file backups automatically every 2 hours in the background, and i run the same backup job manually before i turn my pc off at night.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  5. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Updating of storage should become a periodical "habit" thus Bank storage would be updated each period of importance! Precious DATA is not captured in high volumes "frequently" and as OP states he has 8GB. For $160 a year for Cloud......I would at least investigate a bank vault so you might have "actual privacy", fire/cyclone/bomb proof.

There are many assumptions being made about the Cloud storage - that it is "event proof" (weather, fire, snow, flood, etc, etc)?!?

Pirate Bay may be a viable option if you consider the cloud.....then at least it is stored P2P.

6. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

No one cares enough about me to look at my photos and I wouldn't care if they did. I post most of them online for the world to see anyway. Privacy is overrated.

7. OP
    OP
    Embercide

Embercide Member

I should reiterate that all my photos are jpgs and now that I have a son it will most certainly grow from 8GB ;)

Sure we've printed photos but I dont plan on printing them all and in a fire they all burn anyway. In an ideal world the cameras SD card just gets dumped to a folder which is auto backed up.... very much a "set and forget" type scenario.

For the time being i've gone with Google Drive because its easy for the wife to grasp the concept :lol:

8. millsy

millsy Member

Lol'ing at the tinfoil, your 'rights' to the media on sites like facebook are different as you're uploading it onto a site to show to others, places like crashplan it's just for you so to speak.

And tbqh, if you're losing sleep over the US government potentially being able to access your photos (and do what then??) you really need to take a breath and calm down :)

9. coderx

coderx Member

CD / DVD / BluRay discs are the best way to ensure it's safe for many years.

Burn them to disc, put the disc in a package and lock it away. Job done.

10. millsy

millsy Member

Don't cheap out on discs though, as cheaper ones tend to deteroiate over time.

11. alch

alch Member

I dont care if I never hear the phrase 'the cloud' ever again.

Whats wrong with fire/water proof safes with a drive or two in them? At least you know where your data is and that it isnt being accessed.

12. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

Unfortunately that's impossible given my circumstances, so the cloud is perfect for me. ;)

13. millsy

millsy Member

What's in your photos you're so concerned about though? 0.o

Either way they're probably safer with a reputable provider than in your house anyway, even with the chance of the government having a peek.

14. Azrael

Azrael Member

I do nightly a rsync from my desktop to my microserver, and then a nightly rsync between my microserver and an identical one at my parents house in another state.

I also have a pair of 4TB hdds stored in the old gun safe in our storage shed in another state again, which i keep updated every 6 months or so.

Oh and historically precious photos are stored encrypted on my web host in the US. If the NSA want to see what my grandmother looked like as a baby, or the photos of my parents or me growing up, then fine. Most of them have been shared on FB by other family members anyway.

Remember most personal photos have nothing to do with the intrinsic artistic quality of the photo, its about the memories associated with the photo, and the photo acting as a powerful memory prime.

15. heydonms

heydonms Member

They are fire resistant up to a certain time period (mostly 30 mins or 1 hour) and water resistant up to a certain pressure. My house could burn for days and then flood and my VPS would still be intact.

Synchronizing becomes a chore. If you only want to update once every one or two months and you are diciplined enough to do it, then a safe with disks might be manageable. I sync to my VPS every night, I don't have to do anything, I just get an email each morning telling me it has worked.

Admittedly I don't know exactly where my data is stored, but I don't really care. I know it is a long way from my house and unless someone has broken AES and twofish I can be pretty sure that no one is accessing it.

16. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

amazes me the number of comments made about how pointless loud storage is, clearly some people have no need to share their videos/photos etc with other family members or friends across the globe, but many people (like me) do use it for this purpose, and without it, there is no way anyone could ever see any of the files i do upload unless i post them a copy of them on a disc or usb drive of some sort.

i shoot a family video, or a video for a client, i can upload it when its finished, and share the download link with those who want it, and almost before you can blink, they have a copy on their pc ready to watch on tv.

i also have 2 professional Vimeo channels for sharing my videos over the internet as well, just for those who wish to view them on their pc.

LOL at the most unreliable medium ever created for storage.

17. Jackolow

Jackolow Member

Pretty sure my dvd-rom on my PC has issues with CDs burnt from the early 2000.

18. OP
    OP
    Embercide

Embercide Member

On another note I just found another 17GB of photos worth keeping on an external drive laying around. Looks like i'll have to pay for online storage

"Hey honey those were some good pics of sonny-boy, lets get them off the camera and have a look"
    "Yeah they are pretty good, lets keep these. Go get the drive out of the safe...the combination? fucks me I can't remember :lol:"

Too much effort, life needs to be automated

19. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yeah optical media hahahah FUCK THAT.

Hard drives are cheap. Buy them.

20. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I've been considering this... I believe it's the first cloud provider that uses Amazon Glacier storage, so it's slow to recovery any files, but it is cheap pricing...

$36/yr for unlimited storage, and has support for RAW files..

http://www.zoolz.com/Zoolz_Home