1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a Couch Coop - with decent story - to play with my 7 year old

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by munka, Oct 7, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    munka

munka Member

Don't know. And Google doesn't help me much either :/ but it is in the naughty list all the same and the disclaimer on PSN is different.

2. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

I been playing the Lego Marvel/Movie/Star Wars, Minecraft, LBP, on PS4 with my kids. This was basically their first foray into non iPad video games. I was actually surprised how quickly they picked up the controls. They still have issues with precision jumping though

3. OP
    OP
    munka

munka Member

Just a follow up. The youngest (5) LOVES, Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time and Gauntlet, mostly because he can play them.

The 7 year old prefers Astros and Bugsnax, but multiplayer Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time and Gauntlet are a hit. We've completed Astros and Bugsnax (to platinum) and a first pass play through of Lovers. Gauntlet about half way and Alienation about half too.

Trine and Alienation are also good. Plants vs Zombies I think is great but its not gaining traction.

Lego games are so far the biggest disappointment. The objectives don't seem to jump out at us. So the music is a fast paced action game, but we're wandering around aimlessly looking for which object we need to interact with and which Hero needs to push the O button. Maybe we're not doing it right.

Ratings from my kids (out of 5).

Astros Playroom - 5
    Bugsnax - 5
    Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime - 5+
    Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville™ 3
    Rocket League® - Not played
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition - Not played
    Unravel TWO - Not played
    Plants vs Zombies GW2 - Not played
    HELLDIVERS™ - Not played
    Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince - 4
    Gauntlet Slayer Edition 5+
    Nex Machina 3
    ALIENATION 4
    Guacamelee! 2 Complete 2
    Starlink Battle For Atlas (plus 3 extra ships and pilots and weapons etc) - Not played (Under the Xmas Tree)
    Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince 4
    LEGO® Marvel™ Super Heroes 2
    LEGO® Marvel's Avengers 2
    LEGO® Marvel Super Heroes 2 3
    Rayman Legends 3
    The PS+ Collection (A further 22 games) (Ratchet and Clank is a hit, I'm loving God of War when they go to sleep).

Frag likes this.
  4. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Sounds like I need to check out "Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime".

My apologies that you found the Lego games frustrating, however I can certainly relate the the frustrating "find the stupid block somewhere off camera that needs to be smashed" to progress the mission. For the annoying missions I would just use guides/walkthroughs to get through and unlock the next area. My kids gained the most enjoyment from role playing themselves in the open world than the story missions (once enough of it + characters etc are unlocked).

5. OP
    OP
    munka

munka Member

No need to apologise. The recommendation was still much appreciated. I had no expectation every single recommendation would be a hit. Equally I think we always had to have a Lego game on this list. We will likely persevere with it one day once we've given the rest of the library a fair go.

Yes lovers is a great game. Running round the galaxy with my kids piloting a ship as a team. My youngest usually mans a turret, oldest on a shield and I'm on the helm plus running between other stations as needed. Some missions were a bit hard for 3 so we would get my wife to man another turret but she was usually a reluctant prisoner. It's got some depth and you upgrade the ship/unlock new ships with different dynamics, but it's also like an arcade shooter. Definitely no FTL when it comes to ship and crew management. Very unique concept and hard to really compare to anything else.

6. Frag

Frag Member

Thanks for this list and reviews.. I'm in smilair situation with my 5 & 6 yr old so will pick a couple off this for sure!

7. OP
    OP
    munka

munka Member

The list is probably out of date. To be totally fair the list of games currently being played as coop is:

Minecraft Dungeons - 90%
    Starlink Battle For Atlas - 5%
    Hell Divers - 3%
    Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time 1%
    Everything else 1%

Minecraft Dungeons has been an absolute hit. Don't get me wrong, we've chewed through most of the games in that list, but Dungeons has been great and the controls are something the 5 year old has mastered. All 3 of us have ever trophy in the game except for the latest expansion and we are working through that. It is really nice how everyone levels up at the same rate, so the youngest kid can be just as brutal as the oldest. And loot is fair - and plenty.

A 5 year old really isn't going to have the dexterity for FPS games, and platformers can be a struggle (though he perseveres with Astros).

Starlink is just the flavour of the month, it will probably be put away for good after one play through. Unravel 2 and Lovers in a dangerous space time got smashed, but are now complete, we occasionally go back and 100% the odd level we didn't get on the first playthrough. In the whole list - only the lego games didn't take hold, but we keep meaning to go back and give it a shot, if only Minecraft wasn't sinking so much time.

8. blkvtir

blkvtir Member

Good list and have been watching this thread for some time. My 6 yr old and i have been couching games for almost a couple of years now and similarly to you, Minecraft Dungeons is the current go to along with minecraft PS4 edition.
    We tried Hell Divers but he got a bit scared of the enemies and the uncertainty and the controls and options for loadouts were a little bit too much for him.

I'm surprised your kids didn't get into the lego games. They were what we started on years ago and have gotten through heaps of them now including lego movie 1+2, lego jurassic park, the force awakens, Batman 3, DC super villains and all the marvel ones. We are waiting for the skywalker saga to come out now :) We have managed to platinum a lot of these where the interest has remained, mainly with me running around doing all the collecting and him constantly changing character at a whim.

Astro has also been a good diversion and his first real platforming which he is enjoying when i'm not really able to play with him.
    We also played transformers devastation when it came out and he was going through a bit of a transformers phase. I was surprised he got through all of it quite well by himself, but it's not co-op.

We'll be doing Minecraft Dungeons for a while before i think we'll move onto anything else.

Frag likes this.
  9. Frag

Frag Member

Thanks for the update. I'll pick up Minecraft dungeons .. heck looks like its up to 4 player so might have to get a controller for me too hehe :p I think my boys will love it though lately they have gone back to playing Wii-U woolys world world lol. Heh being a ARPG fan I might enjoy it myself anyway haha

10. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

Take the tike fishing instead.

11. Frag

Frag Member

EDIT> Quoted wrong person was meant to be Munka :)

12. OP
    OP
    munka

munka Member

Absolutely, this is the thread on Coop games to play with your kids :) Not to watch while they do. Minecraft, Helldivers, Starlink and Lovers in a Dangerous Space time are a few that link character (or ship) progression to progress rather than the individual, so you can the the quarter back without the two characters getting out of sync.

Minecraft's story is the only thing lacking. There is zero depth to it. No twists. From the intro cut scene you get "Guy is treated badly, guy finds bad object, guy becomes bad, heroes come and save the day". The story never gets any more depth than that. Starlink at least has some depth and adversary but is only two player. I don't think my 5 year old is ready for Borderlands :p

There is always one :)

miicah likes this.
  13. miicah

miicah Member

Got any more parenting advice mate? You seem full of it lately.

14. Frag

Frag Member

Don't worry my boys get plenty of outdoors and activities that are tech free.. but if its 43c outside or raining, hey we are a modern family!

15. OP
    OP
    munka

munka Member

I agree, we're the same in our family. I get it, go outside and take in the world and all that. I think most people that make comments like the one above are people that don't have kids. They also say things like, my kids will eat... My kids won't do.... My kids will sleep.. then of course there is reality and this small being that has very different ideas.

But screen time shared interacting and strategizing with the humans on the same couch has got to be better than consuming YouTube! Teamwork and problem solving aren't exactly bad skills to master!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  16. Frag

Frag Member

Yep agree. I'm and always will be a tech nerd, whether hardware or software so fortunately/unfortunately my kids and I have a lot of tech to play with - oldest is in grade 1 and other in pre primary. The younger reads fluently (challenging words he skips :p) and the teacher is amazed ... and the main reason othere than us spending some time doing his reading is he loves Pokemon Eevee and well thats a lot of reading..

The funny thing about your comment, we use Technology as a punishment. Nothing else works at this age but the threat of a few day with 0 tech and all of a sudden we have complaint little kids... well as compliant as 6/5 yr olds can be haha :)