Looking for a easy & safe OC - i5-4690K & AsRock Z97-Pro4

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Acasta, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Acasta

Acasta Member

Hi all,

I'm looking for a easy & safe way to OC my CPU. I'm not too worried about getting amazing performance, just a bump for now while I get comfortable. My hardware is:
    i5-4690K
    AsRock Z97-Pro4
    8gb DDR3
    HYPER 212 EVO

I've messed around with overclocking in the past and never really felt comfortable with it. I'd follow some guides, get it to OC but then turn if all off so it doesn't damage anything. Now my CPU is getting old, and I need a bit more juice when playing in VR so I figure now is a good time to OC a bit.

Also hoping that once I've set it all up that it will only overclock when needed (during a gaming session etc) as I often use the PC for work, media server & downloading over night so it'd be good to reduce strain when not needed.

Thanks!

2. Beavis_Wolf

Beavis_Wolf Member

What RAM is it and what speed?

3. Intermidne

Intermidne Member

I think with the 4690k a 4.3 - 4.4 overclock should be stable and doable! Can't remember how much voltage is decent but just go up 0.01 from 1.25 as you would need (correct me if I'm wrong)
    With your needs that it will only overclock when needed, it'll be beneficial to setup an overclocking profile so you can click in and out of it when you need to.

4. straiton

straiton Member

i used this when starting out with my 4770k
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Haswell_OC_Guide/

Most recommend not going over 1.3V , unless you have exotic cooling.
    Devils Canyon(your chip) is an update of Haswell and generally takes less voltage for equiv overclocks to Haswell.
    My chip can get to 4.5 but takes 1.26V ish. A 4790k might take 1.22V for the same OC.

For daily usage, mine runs at 4.2 and 1.12V