Looking for a female Greyhound puppy.

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by MR-X, May 29, 2018.

1. MR-X

MR-X Member

Hi guys,

so I have never posted in here but due to a very sad and rather sudden death in the family of our female Greyhound Gilly, we are now on the lookout for another girl.

Gilly was three when my wife got her and she was almost 5 1/2 when she passed. We are thinking this time around we would love a puppy, mainly because we want to be able to train her(not for racing, EVER) and also we want that trust bond that is harder to get the older they come into the family, depending on the dog breed. Gilly for as much love as she gave and got had a few trust issues which made it really hard to get close to her at times.

We have one dog already, Ursa, who is a Samoyed and she well loves everyone and loved Gilly as well. Also she has been a dog who has always had company. She is great with puppies to adult dogs, from tiny to big, she doesn't care.

I am however having trouble finding where exactly one can buy or adopt a Greyhound puppy. There are I realise plenty of ex-racing dogs to be found, especially males. We aren't urgently trying to find one, as we are about to head off to the USA for three weeks come mid June, however once we are back we will be on the look out.

Does anyone have any contacts or can link me a heap of websites that cater for puppies? Would definitely prefer less than 6mths.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers Ollie

2. jcorney

jcorney Member

might be worth shooting xrobau a PM, he got one not so long ago from brisvegas i think, she is cute but not too bright

3. OP
    OP
    MR-X

MR-X Member

Ok great, that's a start. As for not being bright, with Gilly I was able to teach her to wait for her food, drop, sit and go to the toilet on command just about. So I am hoping with a puppy I can do the same.

4. OP
    OP
    MR-X

MR-X Member

Just for clarification here is a photo of my girl Ursa. This is who the new puppy if we find one, gets to play with.

Anyone else got any info for me. Seems the best I can find in my searches are adult adoption options or puppies from racing groups that cost a pretty penny.

Cheers Ollie

Attached Files:

5. xrobau

xrobau Member

Aah. I had a PM from MR-X, but in the PM he didn't say he already had experience with greyhounds, so I went totally off on the 'Greyhounds are strange and confusing animals' track.

So, for public records, the best thing to do is to go on facebook and search for 'greyhound adoption [yourstategoeshere]' - In Victoria it looks like there's two, "Greyhound Adoption Program VIC" (run by the Greyhound Racing Association) and "Greyhound Rescue Victoria"

Most rescue groups will have a few puppies go through them once or twice a year, but the demand is always really high for them, and most rescue organization require that anyone who wants a puppy ALREADY HAS an adult dog (This is because Greyhounds are very much a pack dog) for it to grow up with.

There's also some other facebook groups that are relevant:
    * Adopted by a Greyhound - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734342536827001/
    * Greyhound Classifieds Australia - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1455517178041517/ (This is for breeders/racers, but dogs for sale are here)

... In fact, for anyone else that is looking to get a greyhound, just browse facebook for a friend that has a greyhound and speak to them 8)

6. xrobau

xrobau Member

As I'm such a Greyhound nerd, I thought I would preemptively answer some other questions, if anyone else is interested in Greyhounds
    • Are Greyhounds hard to train?
      No! Actually they're really EASY to train, but, they're not that bright. Don't expect them to be doing agility courses without a LOT of work. Also, because quite a few greyhounds just can't grasp the concept of 'Sit' (It's just not a natural position for them) people give up and don't realise that it's the 'sit' that is the problem, not the brain inside 8)
    • What about Housetraining?
      A rescue dog should ALREADY be completely housetrained. You may get one or two accidents when you first adopt, but that's just stress and confusion on the dogs behalf. Your GAP will warn you about this, anyway, as they would have already had the dog with an experienced foster carer to get the dog over the first part of the life-change!
    • I heard they are wierd?
      Yes. They are. As they are very much a pack animal, rather than a companion animal, they use pack body language more than most dogs. This means that when he has his head down, and isn't looking at you, this just means he's being submissive, and making sure you know that he accepts you as the pack leader. There is a bunch of body language that you'll pick up as you go.
      However, the first time they come bounding to the door with a big grin on their face, you know that they've accepted that you're not going to randomly hit them or chastise them for not being submissive. Some dogs take years to get over this - it depends on what their formative years were like.
    • Why are puppies so hard to get?
      This is because a puppy is - to a trainer - a potential blank cheque. This is why they are so expensive and hard to get. And exactly for that reason, it's extremely difficult for a random person to get a puppy through a GAP. The GAP's want to avoid trainers getting a cheap dog via a rescue, so they normally insist that the person applying for the puppy (and there's ALWAYS a massive demand!) is a real rescuer, and already has a rescue dog, etc.
      However, saying that, if you're rich and want to save a dog a life of racing, please go buy one from a trainer. They normally range from $2k to $10k. You might even get a discount if you say you're buying it as a pet.

7. OP
    OP
    MR-X

MR-X Member

Hi,

just wanted to say a big thank you to xrobau for the above info. Really helpful stuff.

I have connected to a couple of those facebook sites now and we have also saved a number of links for various breeder/racing sites etc in the hopes of something coming up in the near future.

I suspect I will have a rather long wait before something turns up not to mention everyone else who wants a puppy.

I am still not sure what price I should be considering a minimum for a puppy though. On the race side of things it seems to be anywhere from $1500 up to $10k+, but we aren't looking for a race dog or even one remotely close to being considered good enough to race, but I don't even think that is much of a consideration when breeders/racers sell their pups. Like you said xrobau, it is like a blank bank check for them.

Anyway, wish us luck in our search.

Ollie

8. timsarg

timsarg Member

the chances of getting a greyhound puppy are next to none . You really have to know a trainer that wants to get rid of a litter . Over here in WA they come up for adoption almost never and like i said you have to have some kind of inside contact to even get the chance to adopt a puppy . Honestly i would not pay a trainer one cent as they are just doing what they do best , profiting from dogs without a care in the world for it's life .

Adopt through an agency and preferably one that isn't associated with the industry IE GAP . there are plenty of NFP groups in vic who are rehoming because they love the dogs and get zero funding from the industry unlike GAP in each state .

here is a video from the other night when i cam home of my 7 year old girl