1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a few alpha testers

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by dalai_yoda, Jun 29, 2016.

1. dalai_yoda

dalai_yoda Member

G'day all,

I'm looking for a few folks to help test an Android app. It's.. maybe an odd concept. It's a Licence Plate Simulator. (called Licence TK for now - suggestions welcome!) I'll let the video speak for the concept.

Android only for now - Play Store Link
    You'll need to agree to be a tester with your Google account.

The Remote app is on it's way, early version here (huge lag if incorrect IP is used), same deal.

Cheers and thanks.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. doug81

doug81 Member

OK, seems like a basic enough idea. Editing the text & tagline was fine, but when I went to change the colours there were a few issues.

• When I selected one of the template colour options it overwrote my text
    • When I went to edit the background, the palette opened up but didn't close when I clicked off of it
    • There was an error in the translate button
    On top of that, 6 digit limit seems strange when many plates are longer - should be easy to format based on characters up to 8 digits to cover these areas?

Are you planning to have an email or download option to get a screenshot/image of the plate you created?

Edit: Tested on Nexus 5 (not 5x)

3. OP
    OP
    dalai_yoda

dalai_yoda Member

Awesome, thanks heaps for the input Doug81!. Yeah, there's still plenty wrong. Putting it here is more just to help me prioritise. Some replies to your points -
    • Sorry about the text-overwrite. I'm changing that menu so text and colour editing are on the same screen. Will look into the overwriting while I'm there.
    • The pallette is still a little broken, yep.
    • Translations are all up the poo, and are there more just to remind me to fix up later, once I've finalised menu structure, etc.
    • The 6-digit formatting will be fixed to automatically format 'plate' style combos (xxx-###) etc, and leave words formatted as words.
    • There is sharing ability in there, just not shown for now. Try long-pressing the plate without a menu visible. I'll make the sharing ability more prominent a little down the track (after menu rebuilds etc.)
    Cheers & thanks again. There'll be an update tonight/early tomorrow.

4. OP
    OP
    dalai_yoda

dalai_yoda Member

Wait, I think the text overwrite was meant to happen. The four preset colour combos hold their own text&tag so that the 'remote' can flip/change the entire plate (colours & text). This is probably a bit unclear due to menu layout. All part of the fixing today. Thanks again!

5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Video doesn't seem to be working.

6. Foliage

Foliage Member

Embedding youtube is not that difficult...

7. OP
    OP
    dalai_yoda

dalai_yoda Member

Update went up last night, but still with a few bugs of course. Have also edited the original post with a couple things.

• When I selected one of the template colour options it overwrote my text
      - Hopefully new layout is clearer about implying that text is on a kind of per-preset basis.
    • When I went to edit the background, the palette opened up but didn't close when I clicked off of it
      - Pallette is still a bit hinky, but improved.
    • The 6-digit formatting...
      - just tweaked the dialog text, still sorting how I want that to work
    • There was an error in the translate button
      - translations dropped for icons for now.
    • ...email or download option to get a screenshot/image...
      - there's a sharing button, but the image is not quite cropping right just yet. Will fix today.

-Video fixed - thanks martini.txt

• This is the result of a known UX issue.
    • Someone who doesn't post videos here regularly may not be aware of the unusual convention, or expect a perfectly fine URL to break things.
    • It's totally reasonable in 2016 to not-even-think-about whether board software will correctly cleanse and parse a - to repeat - perfectly fine, perfectly common, embed URL to it's own requirements.
    • No disrespect meant to Agg or His Works![*] (Although if I wanted the video to speak for itself, I coulda checked. Still, see above.)

Thanks all.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  8. Foliage

Foliage Member

I agree, I even offered to write some code to parse it properly due to how many people get it wrong initially but Agg wasn't interested.

9. OP
    OP
    dalai_yoda

dalai_yoda Member

All good Foliage, thanks for the interest. Also, I'm on a shitty 3G connection and had been having troubles with google/youtube all day, and assumed that explained the error. But this is all just notes for the UX team. On with stuff.

Next update down the pipe:
    • Ignore 'Longpress to share' text - use the share button.
    • Share-image scaling should be fixed, maybe a bit off-center. The message app also seems to hold any old images until rotated to portrait at my end; still not sure if this is because of crappy messaging app, or fixable or what. So please let me know of any issues sharing images.
    • Pallette still behaving a bit hinky.
    • Just noticed preset text saving is misbehaving badly as well.
    • Settings button is non-functional & non-urgent, but there'll be a few extras there when it wakes up.

Thanks again all.