Looking for critique

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by dinkleton, Apr 9, 2014.

1. dinkleton

dinkleton Member

Hi all, just really starting to try and develop my logo design skills. Up until this point I've only ever done client work for a print medium which has never involved any kind of identity design (my background is pre-press), so skills have been mostly limited to that. Trying to expand on that now.

I have a friend who is looking at starting up his own business, a gaming/lounge bar (similar to Mana Bar in Melbourne, slightly different target market and business plan, though). I am just toying around with ideas at this point, but some critique from a professional who would be fantastic so I can try to improve.

Here's a couple of peaks at what I've come up with so far, still not sure on the typeface. I loved this when I first obtained but the more I look at it the more I hate it (is that usually what happens with your own designs? :lol: )

Thanks...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    dinkleton

dinkleton Member

Working on the same idea just slightly modified. That'll be all the iterations now, any feedback is good :)

Have to also bear in mind the final logo will be printed on glass, t-shirts, signage, possibly without the type in certain mediums.

[​IMG]

3. DarkForceMage

DarkForceMage Member

Liked the first one to be honest, it matches the name very well and had my OCD tingling, the changed logo in the other versions you made look too obvious, font style also didn't bother me but I prefer the bolder fonts.

4. neil_se

neil_se Member

I like the original font, but the third row symbol with the interlocking Gs. The charcoal background looks good but I think the light green on cream lacks contrast and is a bit difficult to read.

5. OP
    OP
    dinkleton

dinkleton Member

I am leaning towards the third icon style, too. Had the same thought about the colour on the light background, that could change. Thinking I might try an orange sort of colour as an alternative. My friend has said he likes them all but wants me to try and give it a "3D" look... Not sure on that one :/

Any designers with thoughts? :Paranoid:

6. neil_se

neil_se Member

I think 3D would be a bad idea, it makes reproduction of the logo in many formats a lot more difficult (think signage, embroidery, etc), and even at the on-screen size in this thread you're almost losing detail of the lines between the squares. Simple is better.

7. OP
    OP
    dinkleton

dinkleton Member

That's what I have told him. I have revised the logo slightly again to try and please his 3D needs. Simply made two of the squares/pixels in the shape look as if they are dislodged/falling out (sort of representing a "glitch" in a way), with a slight perspective to them for that 3D effect. He doesn't mind it, hopefully he'll come round to the original idea. :)

8. OP
    OP
    dinkleton

dinkleton Member

Latest revision, adding some cliche highlights to try to satisfy their 3D needs. I think it's coming along nicely for an amateur designer :lol:

[​IMG]

9. mrthong

mrthong Member

very nice. Maybe make the G in gaming fall down or glitching out ? :p