looking for foxtel thread? iq4 or 1q3?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by amisty, Jan 26, 2019.

1. amisty

amisty Member

had a quick search but not if there is a thread, looking for advice regarding the coax cables?

2. neopheX

neopheX Member

Didn’t look hard enough ;)

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/post-your-foxtel-deal.988196/

It’s not just about deals as the title suggests :)

But get an IQ4. IQ3 is rubbish.

Also you will need to get a satellite dish installed for the IQ4. Coaxial is no longer supported going forward and everyone will be transitioned to Satellite by 2022 so may aswell just do it now. It’s a free transition for anyone moving from cable to satellite

3. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

IQ3.5 is the same as IQ4 too btw. Just has the coax still.

4. OP
    OP
    amisty

amisty Member

ok cool thanks yea the deals thing threw me off.

just upgraded to iQ4 just curious if i needed to change the coax cables that came with with the iQ4 old ones seems to work fine.

5. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Existing cables will be fine with the iQ4.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

At least they have it right now with the iQ4 :thumbup: Can't fault mine whatsoever.

7. Zee

Zee Member

For Fox installs, coax is coax - generally RG6U (quad shield, solid core RG 6 coax). As in, if the cables were working before, they'll keep working, nothing has changed in the spec that I've seen. The only issue you *may* see is older HDMI cables not supporting 4k, though they usually supply HDMI cables, with blue ends, that seem to be marked as "4k", so shouldn't be any issues there.

As for IQ3 being rubbish - I'd argue that Foxtel is Rubbish, and should have moved to a streaming style service, but dinosaurs will be dinosaurs.

Z...

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

they've tried streaming services (two or three times now), even more rubbish then their regular service. So they'll cling to their old business model as long as they can. Only thing keeping them alive are those wanting the exclusive sports packages, everything else is readily and better available elsewhere. Once those exclusives dry up, it'll be a quick death.

9. Zee

Zee Member

Whilst true, it's mainly because they did it poorly. Don't they have a sports streaming service they part own or something, though?

I know we're ditching Fox once Game of Thrones finishes up. We've kept it for sport, but we're just over it, and satellite is simply not an option - I don't know most existing cable customers will deal with it, but my client base that have cable installs simple have no viable way to install a satellite connection, not without serious construction work in a lot of cases - visible cables tacked into the corners and blowing in the breeze on the outside of the building are simply not options. by that, I mean the two wire satellite system (3 if you include FTA) vs the single RG^ system of cable (which include FTA).

I've also noticed that a lot of cable customers of late are getting terrible FTA reception on Fox, seems like a way to push people to satellite...

Z...

10. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Not true. Foxtel Now and from all reports, Kayo (new sports thingy), are pretty decent.

We had Now for a while and had no issues with it. Deactivated it as we weren't using it enough to justify the price.
    Will reactivate in April for GOT. Price has gone up ten bucks a month though...

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

I never had any luck with them, poor quality/performance, yet I can stream 1080P from prime/netflix/youtube etc. fine.

I haven't tried Kayo, but fully expecting the same poor experience.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I heard just on the weekend that a mate of mine has picked up Kayo for $25/month and he's loving it.

13. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member