Looking for HTPC advice

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Merkin420, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Merkin420

Merkin420 Member

Hey guys, I'll be moving to a new place in the next month. I'm starting from scratch meaning new everything!

So new TV (still not sure what 4k 70" + I will get), and I want to build an easy to use family HTPC, with high specs.

There will be other PCs in the home including mine downstairs which has another living room that I will have a TV in as well
    and one or 2 in the study next to the lounge.

Now where do I start?
    I see talk about NAS, NUCs .. ,Chromecast...

I will want to be gaming on this HTPC for sure, as I have a steam account, I will also be using the HTPC for torrenting and Netflix, and streaming video in general.

What's an ideal set up you guys would recommend, where do I start..
    I'm good with hardware and have been building my own PCs for years.

Thanks for your help, greately appreciate it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  2. samo

samo Member

Is your main PC a gaming rig? If so you could look into Steam streaming and make the HTPC a smaller, less powerful PC. All you need is gigabit ethernet. Most games run pretty well.

As a Linux option you could run SteamOS with Kodi installed along with a HD Homerun for TV.

As for storage, what are your needs? A NAS is great and with large drives most can get away with a 2 bay device. Fill it with 4 or 6TB drives and you're set.

If you need a lot more storage then a HP Microserver is probably the most economical 4 bay server/NAS you can buy. Can pick them up for around $300.

3. OP
    OP
    Merkin420

Merkin420 Member

Yep, it's a gaming rig. OC'd i5 with a GTX 970

hmm

4. d3vour3r

d3vour3r Member

see my HTPC specs below.

can run most games at max settings 1080p. Loving playing dark souls 3 on my set up atm. running windows 10 and use the netflix windows store ap as it support surround sound. also have Kodi set up with istream and use it for downloaded stuff. the silverstone case is tricky to build in but is same size as a small receiver so fits well with your gear stack.

my home theater is a yamaha receiver, KEF speakers and Paradigm sub. got it all for around 2k from eastwood hifi. I recommend working out your budget and going to a proper hifi store as usually their advice is invaluable, and you can test dif systems and pick the one with the sound you enjoy the most. I found KEFs to be a more natural sounding and had a nice understated look. Dont forget speaker stands or brackets for rear speakers if you dont have something to put them on.

TV is a 50" samsung plasma. few years old but does the trick.

NAS is asustor AS5104T with 4x4tb WD Reds in raid 5. easy to use, heaps of storage.

next step is some place to store it all. We have a Ikea Besta system. using this as the frame, and have cupboards on bottom and receiver/centre speaker/HTPC on the shelves. Looks nice and neat. this is a modular set up you can customise in store and its pretty good price compared to some other tv cabinets out there. our set up cost 450 ish.

5. ?HILTHY

?HILTHY Member

hah d3vour3r , your setup basically mirrors mine ( or soon to be).

regarding your htpc , how Is it in terms of power use,heat and noise ?

6. Bootstrap

Bootstrap Member

If you want to game on the HTPC - that makes giving advice kind of easy. Most people want to reduce power/noise output when considering a HTPC build, but if you want it for dual purpose - then such restrictive considerations open up a whole lot more possibilities.

Firstly, I prefer my HTPC to look like part of an A/V setup and not an extra desktop next to my TV. So I would go for a HTPC case, such as a Grandia or the like. Depending on what space you have, whether you want a slim-line case or have depth issues will determine which one. GD08 is a great box with lots of storage. Can't recommend it enough, need a big deep spot for it.

The rest of it really depends on budget - sky is the limit.

7. Sledge

Sledge Member

Look for a cheap Dell/HP SFF system..
    Works well as a HTPC, and should be good for streaming steam to as well..