1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for new fish tank

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Alson, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Alson

Alson Member

Hi guys,

Just letting you guys know I'm a complete newbie in this area :)

Looking to buy a fish tank built into a stand. I've been looking at custom built tanks, and also Aqua One tanks. I'm currently after tanks that look like the Aqua One tanks, but without the price tag...it is pretty pricey.

Can you guys recommend a place where I can buy tanks that look like the Aqua Ones? In particular the AquaReef/AquaGrande range. I'd be looking at getting something around 5ft

2. shane_3800

shane_3800 Member

Fish tanks are pricey get used to it if you like fish.

3. jayc

jayc Member

What price is pretty pricey? What's your budget?

The Juwel and Jebo brands are possible alternatives to the AquaOne.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  4. shane_3800

shane_3800 Member

Those brands are alternatives but if the initial price of the tank is to much then you have no idea on the cost of setup Ie: filter gravel plants fish then there is the cost of maintenance which over a year can add up.

5. OP
    OP
    Alson

Alson Member

Initially at looking to spend under $1000. Thanks for the brands, I'll look into them. I've found them stocked at thereefshop and amazingamazon. Do you guys have any other suggested places I could check out? I've just discovered a forum with a selling section, so I might search for those brands there.

Yeah, I know how costly it can all add up to be. It's just the initial cost for the tank that I was trying to cut down a little bit because AquaOne shocked me quite a bit.

Cheers guys

6. Buc Nasty

Buc Nasty Member

have a look at petbarn if u want a name brand tank. first item is 20% off if u join their free membership, so its a big discount for a large tank, making them cheaper than any store that i've found. their range isnt huge but plenty of Aquaone tanks.

7. jayc

jayc Member

I would suggest getting a standard tank and going down to a 4 footer.
    Like this one from amazingamazon
    http://www.amazingamazon.com.au/aquariums-melbourne-fish-melbourne-337.html
    It's just such a huge jump in price when going to a 5 footer.
    Even accessories like lights have limited choice for a 5 footer.
    It's easier finding stuff for a 4 footer.

Going with a standard tank, you get to choose your own lights & filter canister which is a normally going to be better than the built in equipment from AquaOne, Jebo or Juwel.

Also check out Aquariums R Us.
    http://www.aquariumsrus.com.au/
    Who do package deals or choose from a large selection of sizes and stands or cabinets.
    You can even customise a Starfire glass front panel for extra $$ to give you the ultimate clarity.

8. OP
    OP
    Alson

Alson Member

Thanks for that. Sorry I just realised I didn't mention that I'm after a tank around 4ft. They don't seem to have any tanks of this size.

Like I said above, I totally forgot to mention that I was after a 4 footer :)

The only reason I'm going for these branded tanks like AquaOne/Jebo/Juwel is basically because of the design of the stand/cabinet. The tank that you mentioned has a great price, but I honestly don't think it looks very nice and modern, and definitely wouldn't fit in well with my home...Unless...I buy a tank and cabinet separately. I haven't really thought about this yet though

9. killedbycrimson

killedbycrimson Member

I got mine made at a glass cutter shop. cost me the price of the glass and an hours labor.

10. Buc Nasty

Buc Nasty Member

I got my 4ft Aquaone horizon from there, was only under $400. pretty sure they got them..maybe try another store

Oh and if you're in Melbourne, try coburg aquarium, a lot of tanks there or aquascape(name?) in Richmond, they have modern style tank/cabinets that seems to be fairly well priced.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  11. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I suggest you have a good look at the stands/cabinets and what they are made of eg MDF which isnt the most water friendly thing to use in a tank stand. Also check this thread out. I prefer the euro style tanks and dislike the effect one gets with curved glass.

12. jayc

jayc Member

Gotta agree with that. The curve glass makes viewing the fish unnatural.

13. Sleepy Dude..

Sleepy Dude.. Member

Send Kosti a PM. he has quite a few tanks that he is looking to get rid of.

14. 5p1k3y

5p1k3y Member

buy a used one from Petlink mate. So more worth the money than a brand new tank. Stay away from aqua one tanks they are pretty poor quality especially the stands.

If you want a 5ft tank and want a new one get one from abyss aquariums they build very good tanks. Try and specify for black silicon, beveled edges and 10-12mm glass for the tanks. It will look stunning.

15. yoda123

yoda123 Member

16. aL4n

aL4n Member

Cade or ADA tanks is what you want.