Looking for people to fully review and pick apart a media app

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Revenger, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Revenger

Revenger Member

I have said to the Meedios team that they need to improve and shape up in areas without much luck until now when have allowed me to gather information from HTPC users and consumers about making the application better to meet there exact needs.

I'm looking for reviewers both professional and general HTPC users to do in depth reviews and analysis of Meedios in its current development state and pick all the bones out it listing everything where the application is lacking and needs to improve and how they feel the app can be improved with examples and also showing where all the the good points are.

So I want to get as much as I can on reviews and analysis from sites and users like this one to dedicated sites that review products if anyone can help put me in touch with them.

All reviews will be helpful and the more the better in providing a report back to the development for this application as the Meedios crew are willing to listen and implement ideas and suggestions due to the fact they are realising they have to change there stance while in early development to meet the growing consumer needs and demands for ease of use and simplicity while still maintaining customizability for users that want to use there own media players due to a slightly declining support base they have been going through.

So If anyone wants to give a full open honest review the latest application can be downloaded from here.

This is a chance for everyone to have a direct say and have input into the development of this media frontend and application and all voices will be heard and not overlooked.

I also hope if you send this application to other people to review also and put me in touch with mainstream reviewers as they will be the most beneficial.

* Meedios is a upcoming HTPC app similar to XMBC and Media Portal but its focus is on module design and ability to run the application how you want to run the application if you wish to use external players and software integrated you can.

It is a hobby project under the GPL which I am just someone a end user (now a forum moderator with my own section) wishing to help show them what consumers want and to encourage them to improve areas they are lacking.

This is a serious post btw and I really am looking for reviews etc.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. kesawi

kesawi Member

Add a Live TV /PVR module

3. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Additional modules are always welcome and if you guys want to tell me what things you want Ill be making a list about them for the project now you have brought that up.

Everything for feedback is welcome positive and negative as long the negative isn't baseless rants and is usable information the project can use to improve for you and all consumers.

PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting publicly.

This is a massive undertaking and study I have started with reviewing and asking what people want so every voice counts.

4. kesawi

kesawi Member

At the moment I'm running multiple applications to achieve the functionality I want:
    • WMC for my front end and to record/watch OTA TV
    • Media Browser as an addon to WMC to provide a good media library front end for movies and TV shows
    • Media Center Master to manage and scrape all of the metadata for movies and tv shows
    • IceTV to populate the EPG for live TV and also control remote recording of OTA shows
    • MPC-HC to playback video files with MadVR rendering
    • Shark007 Codec pack to provide all of the necessary codecs
    • Serviio DLNA server to provide access for my smart TV and mobile devices with on the fly transcoding
    • Sickbeard to source TV show content
    • Couchpotato to source movies
    • SABnzbd to download usenet items
    • uTorrent to download torrents
    • MakeMKV to rip DVD and Bluray
    • Handbrake to compress ripped media
    • Auto Rip n Compress as a WMC frontend to MakeMKV and Handbrake
    The holy grail would be to have the functionality of all those programs wrapped up in one seamless interface. At the moment it works but can be a little clunky and occaisionally problematic, particularly for other people in my household. For example my partner finds it too inconvenient to switch out of WMC into Internet Explorer to manage the download of shows using Sickbeard. If she could just get by with the remote she would be happy.

I like the approach that is being taken with Meedios to have a front end with basic common functionality and then plug-in modules to provide additional functionality as required. It doesn't necessarily need to do everything itself, but simply provide a more integrated interface to some of these other programs which offer an API.

5. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

kesawi, webapps would be a great feature and something I lave listed as a very important feature in my posts on the MeediOS site.

Due to TV guides, Youtube, Facebook, web media streaming, torrents, and anything else that can run in a webpage.

Keep all the ideas coming and what can be improved on the current system.

6. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

If anyone wants to help with small parts of MeediOS I have a few areas available that everyone even non developers can help with.

These are things to do in relation with organisation of the full time plugins and a UI design through google docs and the MeediOS forum etc.

As we don't have many helping out anyone that helps is pretty much guarantied to have a direct say and there work directly affecting MeediOS.

I have now been assigned a publisher, feedback and organisation with ideas role within MeediOS with future duties in the near future with my forum status now reflecting that.

So I am asking and putting the word out that anyone no matter if you can code etc if you are a basic user that we can use your input.

as everyone helping me will be directly influencing and directly developing this application.

It is unlike other projects where you just submit feature requests and then you wait for however long for them to appear or not, here you are directly making those feature requests and ideas happen and designing how they will work that the developers will code.

Please contact me about this or jump on the MeediOS Forums and go to the Feedback forum, to see what I have for everyone to do.

Everyone here that wants change and a HTPC app and frontend is encouraged to make there voices heard and you can help design and actually get your ideas implemented.

Please spread the word to others that anyone can help no matter your skill level.

7. EEPROMS

EEPROMS Member

interesting but being C# it will never truly be cross platform so you will always be chasing the likes of XBMC ie I now run xbmc on android, Ubuntu, Windows, OSX.