1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for projector advice <1k

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by millsy, Aug 24, 2014.

1. millsy

millsy Member

Hi all,

Been looking at buying a new HD projector for the entertainment room. It is semi sealed, however we will only be using it at night on a dedicated motorised screen, 3.5m from the ceiling mount.

Budget is about 1k give or take, and I'd prefer to buy locally if possible (I prefer not buying items like projectors online unless the value is unbeatable :) )

Requirements:
    HD
    Mounts on a standard projector mount

Options I can see so far are:
    Acer H6510BD Full HD Projector - 731

BENQ W1070 Full HD - 949

Caveat of the acer is that it's less adjustable, and has a bit more rainbowing. Benq apparently is a tad noisy. I had a quick search on ocau but the w1070 didn't show up much unfortunately.

As I said though I'm more than open to other options, I just haven't found many more, so if anyone can steer me in a better direction that'd be awesome, thanks!

2. Grunkles

Grunkles Member

Brother bought the BenQ a few weeks ago, we just finished mounting and cabling yesterday. Very impressive! Ceiling mounted about 3m from the screen, image size is 100 inches.

He hasn't tweaked any settings yet, but looks great out of the box. Noise is a non-issue in my opinion, just a low him. Less than an idling htpc I would say.

Set up in his front lounge area. Two floor-to-ceiling windows (east facing) and is situated just off the entrance area. Perfectly watchable during the day with the curtains pulled, better than watching TV in the same area, but is obviously much better at night.

3. Sledge

Sledge Member

A friend of mine got the next model up BenQ.. he reckons it's worth paying the $300 or so more

4. mtma

mtma Member

The w1070 is pretty good for the price. A friend of mine bought one and I was fairly impressed with the IQ. Between more expensive models and this budget model, the main difference I would say is lens quality.

Comparing with my HC4000, the effects of lens quality were quite noticeable at the corners - however to an unacceptable degree? That would depend on your standards. If you're watching movies and shows it is close to unnoticeable.

5. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

Yeah it'll purely be for movies. Thanks for the advice so far!

Anyone come across the acer yet?

6. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

Okay so did the calculations and I need a zoom ratio of 2x, the acer and the benq project images too wide for my room (3.65m distance to a 2m wide screen).

Is there anything you can do about that? I'm struggling for options.

7. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

Another full HD projector in the < $1000 range is the Epson TW5200.
    Haven't checked the throw requirements but you can punch all of the required figures to calculate throw on the product link.

8. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

If you are ceiling mounting the projector just move the mount closer to the screen. Nothing says you have to have it at the back of the room.

Oh and if going for the benq, at the moment thecableconnection has the best price on static ice, so go into office works and get them to beat it by 5%

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  9. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

I'm putting it in my parents house, and their old projector mount kinda has a powerpoint next to it and already feeds cables through the roof, not super keen on relocating it as a surprise in case I bugger the job up :/

10. mtma

mtma Member

2x throw ratio? I have a feeling you're not going to have decent options at this budget.

11. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

The old projector was an ex corporate boardroom one and I feel that how they setup the room a few years ago was not in line with reality :(