Looking for recommendation for high end 32" TV.

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by RagingKoala, Dec 9, 2016.

1. RagingKoala

RagingKoala Member

Not for me. I've been tasked with replacing my grandparents unit as their current one is making loud clacking sounds.

They have a very early 32 inch Panasonic LCD probably about a decade old. The place they have their tv located can't accept any larger than 32 inches unfortunately (a 37 may fit, but they don't seem to make 37 inch sets anymore).

Things I'm looking for

- Fast, easy to use menus. I know a lot of modern smart tvs are laggy, they won't use any of the smart tv functionality, but the EPG and menus need to be good.

- Best picture quality possible. So a 1080P set.

- Loud clear speakers.

- PVR system built in.

Realistically a hundred or two isn't the end of the world, the tv just has to function well and have good 'core' features. It seems LG and Samsung make nice high end sets with the best image quality, but both of them seem to have fairly poor ratings?

Also does anyone have any experience with just plugging in a thumb drive or an external drive to give it PVR functionality? I know they don't have duel tuners (so you can watch and record different channels) but thats something. I've often wondered if the drives get too hot and damaged with constant read/writes.

Any input would be appreciated, I have little clue about televisions.

2. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

3. OP
    OP
    RagingKoala

RagingKoala Member

4. damo2002

damo2002 Member

I purchased the Samsung UA32K5500AW recently. Really good TV. Everything's super quick. Menus are all straight forward and easy to use. Picture quality is great after having used a hardware calibrator on it. Speakers are surprisingly OK for a TV too.

Only negative for me was the wall mounting system - don't like what they use, but it works all the same.

Only picked it over the LG because I preferred the look of it. Most comments between the two suggest they're fairly similar.

I'm not sure about the ratings you saw, or for which TVs specifically even - but this was rated fairly well. Searching with the Euro model number brought up many more results and it was mostly rated highly.

No clue about the PVR though, not something I've looked at/into - I don't even know if this TV supports it?

Also keep in mind that most people suggest that 1080P isn't really necessary or noticeable on a 32" TV unless you're sitting quite close to it. If I'm honest, the main reason I purchased it over a standard HD Samsung was the look of it, and the hope it'd somehow be better? Lol.

As an FYI, I got it from The Good Guys' eBay store when they had a 20% off sale. I can't imagine it'd be too difficult getting them down to a similar price in store.

5. OP
    OP
    RagingKoala

RagingKoala Member

Thanks for the input!

That was the set with imo the best picture quality I saw in the store. It had some poor reviews about 'interface lag' online but its good to hear that isn't an issue.

I think that one will be the go, I'll see if any further good sales pop up around Christmas, its fairly common around this time of year.

6. Sledge

Sledge Member

7. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

Nope best tv on the programe is a 40in TCL FHD worth about $500 and still have to pay about $195 plus delivery

8. clonex

clonex Member

If its a decade old then how bigs the bezle on it? 40" wont fit?

Exact dimensions of space