1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for the perfect dog.

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Damobok, Jan 28, 2015.

1. RB44

RB44 Member

Try a poodle or toy poodle, crazy smart dogs and low maintenance.

2. timsarg

timsarg Member

greyhound/whipper/ italian greyhound

Please don't buy a poodle . aggressive, noisy , shit dogs. Greyhounds make perfect apartment pets and for people who are lazy . They don't bark , don't destroy shit, are perfect for families and cats as well .

Plus you are saving a dog from being put down just because he can't earn money for whatever reason . And they really are the most docile, loving dogs i have seen .

3. mc_konazz

mc_konazz Member

We have an Australian Koolie.

They're the colour of a blue healer in the body of a dingo (if you don't let them stack on weight). Ours comes in at 16kg fully grown

We took one from Koolie Rescue when my wife fell in love with him (the main rescue farm is in Echuca, and you can have an 8 week puppy if you want. The ones from Echuca are usually pure bred and will have genetic testing done).

Here's a few reasons I like them:
    - If you can walk them once a day, you're fine. I usually take mine out for a 7km bike ride and he's fine, or we just take him for a slow walk in the evening for about 45m-1h. Its been raining last 3 days, and he hasn't been out - he's sooking in the lounge room asleep. Some of them in Canberra are apartment bound and are fine. Our block is 320m2, so isn't big - but we can exercise him enough in the yard that he goes to sleep after 20 mins.
    http://imgur.com/ahPM8tm

- Fine with kids: our neighbours love him being around their 2.5 and 5 year old. He knows not to play rough. They 'borrow' our koolie when the kids are being super annoying to occupy them.

- Fine with other pets: he gets along with our cockatiel (although he was very protective of me at first) and lives in the back yard with 2 ducklings and a mother duck. The ducklings prefer him over us (we spent much more time raising the mother over the ducklings). He's also fine with the free-range chickens in my neighbours yard where we go to BBQs once a week.

- clean. doesn't roll around in shit and can't keep him away from water. from the day we got him, we've never had an 'accident' inside.

- loyal. i walk him off lead and he always keeps an eye on me and never ventures too far. he sleeps on the floor on my wife's side of the bed and stopped our car getting broken into by growling and waking us up.

- doesn't like couches/beds... absolutely hates them and prefers his own bed. if we pick him up and put him on the couch, he jumps off and sleeps at our feet.

- doesn't bark, except when super hyped up and only when other dogs bark.

- super intelligent... he figures out the dog food puzzles quickly, and did 'ok' at dog school when he was a pup (he's going again now that he's older). I took him to sheep herding trials at 5 months, and by the end of the first day had him working 4 sheep in a pen. The rescue used to call him Houdini as they couldn't (to this day) figure out how he escaped the dog enclosure with 6 other dogs - he'd get out, run around to the front door and ask to be let inside: front door meant only him and 1 dog were inside, but if he opened the back door everyone came in (and got kicked out).

Yes he's a working dog, but they've been bred to be light and agile, and use their speed rather than bite to control stock. Although sometimes they're used on cattle, its mainly sheep and funnily enough free range ducks and chickens (as most won't attach stock). In Finland, the Australian trained dogs are used for reindeer hearding, and also ADFA uses them as IED detection dogs

And... definitely something different, they're a rare breed.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  4. «¥» Plump-DJ®

«¥» Plump-DJ® Member

I've got a Cavoodle and he's about 5 months old.

He's a Toy Poodle/Cavalier cross and not a Miniature Poodle/Cav cross.. so he's a bit smaller.

Have a look at the Cavoodle road test form Burke's Backyard.

My review is that he's got a great, friendly, trainable personality (he's easily corrected) and hopefully being a cross he's more healthy.
    He loves our 2 cats (all he wants to do is play with them but they swipe him away), he loves other dogs and he loves people.

I pretty much had all the same requirements as you and we got lucky with our little guy.

Getting a puppy means you can start setting down the rules and behaviours early on and begin the training as soon as you can.

[​IMG]
    screen shot on pc

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  5. jastormont

jastormont Member

Greyhounds are the perfect dog.

Although big are very easy to walk and are not aggressive unusually. They do not eat too much and can be kept in apartments as they are 45Mph couch potato's. They do not smell and good for people with allergies and they do not bark much. I would suggest you look at these and they are also Cat safe if chosen correctly. Also probably the healthiest breed of dog you can get!

I am in the process of adopting one at the moment and did my research and found these dogs tick most boxes on many fronts unless you want a guard dog.

Also my parents have a Tibetan Spaniels and these dogs are exceptional and many people who get this breed never turn back from them.

6. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

lots of ppl have said greyhound and i would agree. i'd also agree with whippets.

but

IMO, the absolute perfect fit for you, except for the rare and cool breed criteria, would be a foxy or jack russel. if you get one from a pup, it will grow into your household, including kids, dogs, cats, and habits. you sound like a guy who really values his animals; if that's so, then from my experience, that'd be your best bet.

also, i'd want to see photos or video of the daxie/jr/cats having fun :D would be hilarious!

7. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

our whippets are awesome, they whippet good!

8. timsarg

timsarg Member

Proof how awesome they are , she does this pretty much all the time. If not lying on the kids she is lying on the couch with me and the wife

[​IMG]