1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to connect it all together - hardware recommendation

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Arch-Angel, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

I am looking to play/make some more music with my daughter. (for fun/hobby, not to monetise).

I picked up an OK studio mic (Rode NT1A) and USB interface (Scarlett 2i2) for her a few months back, and have been playing around with recording her (we mostly just play it back for training coaching her, haven't mixed anything yet).
    I also have an acoustic/electric guitar and ukulele, and have just picked up a new Yamaha p125 keyboard which is capable of MIDI recording and playback.

I am ready to start doing some proper recording/mixing with her, but to be honest I'm struggling to fit it all in my home office... I have a spare room that I can set up in, but it's a long way from my main PC.
    My question is - what would you all recommend for the computing side of recording instruments/voice in order to get a little bit mobile?

I was wondering if a IOS/Android tablet would cut it, but then though I might be better off with a Surface Pro for the USB ports and standard desktop applications. A tablet would be handy to double as display for sheet music/lyrics etc...
    Or all all of those going to be too weak, and should I look at a second PC or even laptop setup?

Sorry if this is a noob sort of question... this is what happens when I dabble!

2. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

I've tracked and mixed a 32ch session on my Surface Pro 4 without issue. Nothing too intensive but got the job done nicely. Auria is a nice little DAW for iPad if you want to go that route, a little more restrictive with intrefaces as you'll need to sort a powered USB hub and only use class complient devices.

shredder likes this.
  3. GarethB

GarethB Member

Maybe some kind of dedicated recording device might work for you. There are a few on the market that record to SD memory cards, can record/play-back multiple sources at the same time, can connect to a PC and can be used as a control surface to operate DAW software on a PC.

The two main brands I would look at for these are Tascam and Zoom.

I actually have a Zoom R8 multitrack recorder. It can only record 2 tracks at a time, can play back 8 recorded tracks at a time, can run from AA batteries or powered from a USB connection to another device, has built in effects. The recordings stored on the SD card can be exported to a PC in WAV format. The next step up in the Zoom R range is the R16 which can handle 8 simultaneous audio inputs and play back 16 recorded tracks. Tascam has their own models with similar features but I don't have direct experience with them so I can't say a lot about them.

The point is, you set up your music gear in one room, record to the multitrack device, then take the multitrack device to the room with the PC and import the recording to audio software on the PC via USB, and the multitrack device can be used to control the audio software on the PC.

I'm not saying this is the only way to handle your situation and it might not be the best solution for your situation, but it is one way to handle what you want to do. There are plenty of review vids of the various Zoom and Tascam multitrack recorders on Youtube.

shredder likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
    I'm just looking at ebay discounts on Surface Pro's... the value proposition just got harder to resist...

I'll do some research on those multitrack recorders though, they sound interesting and I don't think I've come across them before.