Looking to consolidate phone and MP3 player

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by mr. Twitch, Jun 24, 2009.

1. mr. Twitch

mr. Twitch Member

Hi all,

I currently have the following devices:

Nokia N95 8gb
    iPod Touch 2g 32gig

Im looking to get rid of these two devices, and pick up a phone which is also a good MP3 player. Needs to have at least 8gb of memory (expandable preferred), chargable via USB, GPS would be nice, and must not be an apple device.

Some phones i was looking at that could suit are:

Nokia 5800
    HTC Magic (not sure what the music player is like on the android OS)

What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance

- Dan

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  2. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

I have an N95 + 16GB Touch combo which I thought was the best combo going. You get the great phone and camera features of the N95 with the great touch and media features of the Touch and keeping them separate means they both get good battery life.

Having said that my N95 screen just died after years of good service so I'm probably gonna get a 32GB 3GS iPhone now to replace them both. Whats the reason for your "no apple" rule?

3. OP
    OP
    mr. Twitch

mr. Twitch Member

I have a canon digital camera, so the awesome camera of the N95 isnt an issue really

Im really just looking for a way to cut down the amount of devices that are weighing down my pockets.

My reasoning for the no apple devices rule is that I really dont like the battery life of the iPhones, and I am a bit of an anti-apple guy. Plus, i dont really like the way the ipod/iphone and itunes manages my music.

I would be happy with a device that got around 2 or 3 days battery life. i ususally charge every night, though there are some nights where i might be away from a charger. The ability to charge via USB would also be a good feature, as I have a cigarette lighter -> USB adaptor in my car.

4. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Whats wrong with just using your N95 then? It has the standard headphone jack, storage space and the GPS unit and you can get extra batteries and USB and car chargers for it.

5. OP
    OP
    mr. Twitch

mr. Twitch Member

6. domlebo

domlebo Member

I don't see why an iPhone wouldn't suffice. It's arguably the most powerful phone when jailbroken and meets your needs perfectly. :S

7. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

simple, iphone 3GS.

If your not a fan, then get the n97 or equivalent upgrade to the n95, and use that as your music.

Though even with iphone OS 3.0, the phone aspect to the iphone is still lacking in some areas, you'll probably notice some of these things if your coming from a nokia.

8. domlebo

domlebo Member

There's like 20000 addons to add functionality though

9. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

Most of them are as useless as the fart app.

10. OP
    OP
    mr. Twitch

mr. Twitch Member

I hate the way with an iphone im tied to itunes though... I really dislike that software...

11. koma_white

koma_white Member

I'm still in the very early days of getting used to my HTC Magic so it's still being used far more than i normally would... but at the moment i'm having to recharge every night. That said, as it recharges off USB i could plug it into a dock whilst i'm at work, into my car if i'm on the road or into it's main charger if i'm at home.

Usual use at the moment is ~2 hours of GPS use (GPS always on), 5-6 calls per day, 30 texts, wifi on constantly and another ~2 hours of people 'playing' with it. I'm expecting once i get past the 'toy' status it'll bump out to about 2 day recharges... maybe more.

I haven't gotten around to using it as a media player yet as it's still got the 2gb card it came with in it. I'll drop a 16gb card in it in the next week or two and see how it goes. Major negative though is that it doesn't have a separate 3.5mm headphone jack, only the USB port - so you'll need to get the USB>3.5mm adaptor if you want to use your own headphones.

12. OP
    OP
    mr. Twitch

mr. Twitch Member

Hmmm... that seems like quite the drawback there... so i would not be able to charge the device and listen to music at the same time... (i plug my MP3 player into the car via 3.5mm audio jack so i get the sound through the car sound system)

I could survive with that depending how the battery life is

13. koma_white

koma_white Member

Yes, you can charge and listen at the same time with a couple of options.
    1. HTC multi-IO thing plugs into the USB port on the phone so you can charge and plug in 2.5/3.5mm headphones as well.
    2. Use bluetooth streaming if your H/U supports it and charge off USB.

14. OP
    OP
    mr. Twitch

mr. Twitch Member

oh, awesome about that adaptor thing

seems like the magic is the phone for me then.

15. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

Have a quick look at the Nokia N97 and (if you can wait a couple of months) the SE Satio.

16. OP
    OP
    mr. Twitch

mr. Twitch Member

So it turns out that the Magic (and any android phones in general) do not support bluetooth OBEX as of yet...

The Nokia 5800 is looking like a better option now at the moment (assuming it can charge over USB)

17. domlebo

domlebo Member

FYI you dont need to use itunes with the iphone.

18. OP
    OP
    mr. Twitch

mr. Twitch Member

19. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

Just an aside, have you looked at third party music players for your N95?

Some of the third-party apps are pretty awesome:

PowerMP3
    http://www.mobifactor.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=36

Also:
    Fring (IM client)
    Opera Mobile (not the free java Mini version)
    Handy Taskman (Task manager for your phone, allows you to kill unresponsive apps)
    FirstAid (Useful first aid instructions)
    cClock (Replaces the clock screensaver with an easier to see one)

20. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

Am loving my 5800.

It doesn't charge via USB though.

Wish the OVI store had better apps as well, and better free ones at that. Pretty piss-poor at the moment but then I really only use it for MP3, FM Radio, phone, SMS, MMS, basic web browsing and checking my email. For all of that it's awesome. GPS I really don't use so can't comment on it much.