Looking to consolidate phone and MP3 player

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by mr. Twitch, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

For some of the best audio from a phone get a touch HD. It's comparable to a 1st gen iTouch. Make sure you use good headphones though as the supplied ones are always crap.
    Then there is the SE W995 which has some of the best SQ sony has ever put on a phone and is comparable to the touch 2G.

Go to gsmarena and have a look at the phones on the site. The reviews always cover sound quality.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  2. irR4tiOn4L

irR4tiOn4L Member

Its a bit of a walled city, no two ways around it. You can use 'sharepod' and other such programs to get access other than through itunes, but no USB mass drive still means its ridiculously restricted compared to most mobiles

Still love mine tho

3. irR4tiOn4L

irR4tiOn4L Member

This is why i use Apple ipods/iphones in the first place; where almost all other mobiles skimp on the most important but least reviewed bits, you can rely on Apple to put in a decent headphone amp

4. SavvyFx

SavvyFx Member

Check out the HTC Hero.

It ticks all the boxes

5. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

thats what im weighing up as well. not a big fan of itunes.

the only viable work around i can see is to use SSH to connect to the phone and copy files to the phone this way.

NOTE: the above needs jailbreaking of the iphone.

6. domlebo

domlebo Member

You can use USB; i forgot the name of the program. I'll try and find it.

7. irR4tiOn4L

irR4tiOn4L Member

Not only does it need jailbreaking, it also needs a custom program like 'iphonebrowser' on the computer. Its nowhere near as nice as a mass usb drive

8. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

thats the thing that is somewhat weighing in the negative of getting an iphone.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've done exactly this.....best move ever. Eliminates extra expense and other hassles......will never buy a phone without mp3 capability again.

10. irR4tiOn4L

irR4tiOn4L Member

I should mention then that i still have an iphone and would buy it again.

You need to evaluate whether open access is something you really need. Because iphones also have a lot to like about them, and particularly the new iphone 3G S is very speedy and powerful.

When i compare to something like the Touch HD (one of the few phones with a larger screen) i find the Touch HD lacks basic usability; Touchflo 3d doesnt cover most functions and Windows Mobile is clunky; even a basic thing like colour depth - iphone has 16 million colours, Windows Mobile limits the Touch HD to 60k colours - it makes a big difference when you watch a movie!

Watch this comparison and read the comments; the iphones just have better transitions and well worked through graphic presentation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sCur0z0R5Y&feature=related

Oh and resistive touch screen is not nearly as nice as the iphone's capacitive touch (and multitouch)

Also, the iphone has great audio quality - i dont think the HTC devices can compete there.

Theres no point going through all the features and differences, except to say that a Jailbroken iphone is a very useful device with many applications available but with great ease of use. Windows mobile devices are often able to run more office and other software, but they are clunky, buggy, and often not nearly as well thought out or polished.

Youll probably be happy with either, but need to evaluate what is most important to you

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  11. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

point iphone.

point iphone.

hey if im going to spend a small fortune for either. why not right? need to know what is suited to my needs.

in most cases no argument there. point iphone.

thats what im doing now. the biggest gripe is the no file/folder browser that is local to the iphone or at least to the hooked up pc. unless i consider SSH. (which proved the vane of my short existence of fiddling with a workmates iphone) but hey. for a first go at it. i managed to jailbreak it.

i prefer not having to use itunes as much as possible. hopefully thats not too much to ask really. biggest gripes with itunes for me as i just want to be able to drag and drop files into the phone. makes it easy for me to delete the files i put in there on the go when i want.

veering towards the 3GS for the extra speed so that i can play movies and mame/DS/psx games.

12. jas0nt

jas0nt Member

i was playing with my workmate's magic and i found it to be rather laggy and much less 'fluid' than the iphone 3gs. plus the touch-screen seemed choppy and not really responsive.

if you hate itunes, ask yourself whether the con of using the iphone (having to use itunes) outweighs the pros of using the iphone. if it doesn't, then go with /reconsider the iphone.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  13. irR4tiOn4L

irR4tiOn4L Member

How deep do you want your access into the system to be?

If you just want to drag-drop music, movies, podcasts etc, itunes is still the easiest for this (set the iphone to manually manage my files)

If you want to be able to get music or videos back out of the iphone, a third party program like sharepod can access the music and get it back out

If you want full access to the entire file structure and system on the iphone, then a program like iphonebrowser is perfect. Iphone browser can access and modify files on your iphone through usb without even having to jailbreak or use SSH. Read all about it here ( http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2008/09/28/iphonebrowser/ )

Bottom line?
    It can be done. You CAN access the file structure of an iphone even without jailbreaking, but you need software, know how and cannot use it like you would a mass usb drive (except for photos, which apple lets you access through my computer->iphone). Point away from iphone - a mobile with 16gb storage that cannot be used as a usb stick is dissapointing