Looking to fabricate vertical GPU Mount

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Morgue, Aug 10, 2017.

1. i7Baby

i7Baby Member

2. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

3. Defyant

Defyant Member

And puts the GPU in the wrong place for this mod. :thumbup: ;)

4. OP
    OP
    Morgue

Morgue Member

5. OP
    OP
    Morgue

Morgue Member

So I went to work modifying the case today to fit Defyant's mounting bracket.

[​IMG]

The whole thing looks as I want it to, and it works pretty great. I have accidentally rough handled the bracket a bit, so I've chipped off some of the paint, which is a shame. I'll have to go over everything with a bit of a touch up later.

As a sort of temporary solution to the wobble it has, I quickly drilled some holes in some old steel PCI grill covers and bolted them to the back of the card.

[​IMG]

Sadly, even though this seemed rock stable in my hands, in the case, there was still a fair amount of wobble.

[​IMG]

The bending seems to be coming from the card rather than the actual IO plate. If this was soft tubing, I'd be fine with this amount of movement. With hard tubing however, I think this might be enough give to knock the pipes out or even shatter them. This of course, is only in the scenario where I accidentally bump my pc, it gets kicked over, etc. In a perfect world, that wont happen, but best to prepare.

Might have to go back to the drawing board for this. Defyant linked me a build video where the guy is working on an enthoo elite, which has a vertical gpu mount by default. He seemed to find that it wasn't stable enough by itself and added a piece of acrylic for it to go down to the bottom. I don't have separate compartments to my case like the Define C, where the PSU has a cover, so I might either have to make one or connect it to my PSU somehow.

6. Defyant

Defyant Member

Fantastic post mate :thumbup: This is great reference source for others going down this path.

Is there a "hole" anywhere on the back of the card that comes "close" to lining up to one of your motherboard stand off mount/s?

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

the further along the card this bracket is the better the counter lever angle.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    Morgue

Morgue Member

Oh that's a good idea. I'll go check that. All it needs is some SLIGHT support horizontally.

Edit: far out there doesn't seem to be any parts of it that line up nicely. Will try to think out of the box for this one.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  8. Defyant

Defyant Member

If bending some M3 threaded bar is not an option.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the best i can come up with in a short time,:thumbup:i used this method to hold on mother board covers in the old days.

Very sturdy and simple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The strength is in that Pickup end mount, it has to be non flex.:thumbup:

9. Defyant

Defyant Member

10. OP
    OP
    Morgue

Morgue Member

Ahahah that's amazing. Are those just motherboard screws?

Also where the heck did you get M3 threaded bar? That's awesome. Yeah I could totally do something like that, and that's all I need really. Just a tiny bit of horizontal support.

Also that video LOL. There are a few other mods that do the same. Sadly I need a bit more stability because my card weighs 200% more than those other ones. :tongue:

11. Defyant

Defyant Member

That's some photo trickery :) That's M8 but it's just to show you the idea.

I'm sure you can get M3 online. Dont forget to get a few nuts and washers.

The brass motherboard standoffs are pretty common. You can paint/heatshrink/ or cover with some split loom to hide.

The chrome standoffs on the end bracket are off old vga cards.

If you can work out the exact measurements i could send off another care package :thumbup:

12. Darko

Darko Member

13. Darko

Darko Member

Just a heads up I'll have a Thermaltake Premium riser cable available soon for $60 if you're interested

14. OP
    OP
    Morgue

Morgue Member

I took a second look at the threaded bar/standoff idea. It looked a bit off the other day, but giving it a closer look, I found a perfect location for a few motherboard standoffs to connect to the backplate. This should speak for itself:

[​IMG]

Now we're in business! I have a ton of shrinkwrap and that'll make it look great. It's not in the way of any cables or pipes, frankly its perfect. Sturdy like crazy too. Just have to figure out a nice way to mount it all for the final product.

I think this is about solved! This was the only part of the build that needed any extra work before I just go ahead for the final push. Just need to find some black paint for all the scratches I've caused due to my haphazard, caution-to-the-wind method of modding. Then of course, I have to sort the build log and 2500 pictures out :tongue:

Thanks for your help Defyant!!! What a legend!

Great offer, but I already have one (at full price, bleh). I'm sure that'll go quick on the forum. All the Thermaltake cases come with the really poor quality unshielded one to begin with.

15. Defyant

Defyant Member

Brings a smile to an old modder's face :D

16. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

This is so awesome... seriously!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

17. mnpctech

mnpctech Member

major props for brilliant use of stand-offs!