1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to join a ~$50 cap

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by _the_duke_, Feb 5, 2006.

1. _the_duke_

_the_duke_ (Taking a Break)

Hi, I am currently on a $33 plan with Optus and it's due to expire shortly. My bill is generally $40-$50, but I am pretty tight on calls/messages.

The 3 $49 cap looks good, with a free SE z800i or LG U880, still trying to decide which phone I like more. I will only be using standard voice calls and SMS, so I won't be taking advantage of 3's other services.

Are there any other caps I should be considering? I do have a few spare older mobiles around, but I would really prefer to get a new phone with a decent camera etc.

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

2. cast77

cast77 Member

U880 Black sounds like a good choice. z800i ran out of stock ages ago.

3. da_ilks

da_ilks Member

Optus have a $49 cap, but in most instances you then need to make handset payments as well :(

Seems the days of getting a free handset with your contracts are waning

4. OP
    OP
    _the_duke_

_the_duke_ (Taking a Break)

That's why the 3 cap is so appealing, I figure if the charges and included calls are similar I may aswell grab a free handset.

5. GoSam

GoSam Member

Well I switched over to virgin recently, I'm on their $49 post paid cap, get $250 worth of calls etc etc, but the main reason I joined is because they still have per sec billing and plus they use the optus network, which has pretty good coverage where I am.

Currently thinking about getting a K750i off virgin for an extra $15 a month in payments, so thats pretty resonable as well.

6. Mal_nutrition

Mal_nutrition Member

Yeah but at least with a handset repayment on top you have some freedom within that contract. Good luck upgrading a contract with a free phone. With a handset repayment(with telstra at least) you have 2 seperate contracts, you can upgrade your handset without having to pay out a whole contract for 2 years--or penalites that are 90% of the contract.

7. Dan!el

Dan!el Member

With 3 you can have 2 phones on your account. So you can have your $0 phone on your initial cap and your new/upgraded phone ontop of that. :)

8. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

pm sent to you but can you tell us what restrictions there are on this practise?

9. jobaby

jobaby Member

Have you looked at the plans/phones at B Digital (used to be B clear and simple)?

There is a $49 cap plan ($230 of included calls). These don't include Handset repayments, these are $5/month (V3/Z520i), $14/month (6230i), $15/month (D500/K750i) or $22/month (W800i).

You can get a free phone, but not on the $49 cap, only on the $79 cap or on an uncapped plan.

This is on the Optus network, so you still get Yes time and all that.

10. Pie_Lad

Pie_Lad Member

Incorrect. No cap plan (from ANY network or reseller) offers Yes Time included in the cap rates.

11. red_marine

red_marine Member

i think he meant that people would be able to call you for free