1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

looking to learn the electric guitar

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by anark1, May 29, 2020.

1. anark1

anark1 Member

thinking of trying to find a yamaha pacifica and cheap amp to try on.

not wanting to spend alot so likely go second hand.

am hesitant as i tried 20 years odd ago at high school and didnt pursue learning so id like to try again but not confident.

would this guitar be a good starter?

2. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

Quick answer; yes.

I've not touched any of the yamaha's but thread after thread of suggestions will give an overall good impression as a learner workhorse.

I'm picking it up again after about 20yrs off, and I never learned scales/reading music back then so there was always a block to my playing. Now i'm going through and learning some scales (just putting my big toe in so far) and it's already given me a little boost in how I think it sounds.

A good friend once said to me a few years back, 'don't forget, it's *playing* music' :)

anark1 likes this.
  3. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

OP - what sort of music are you into? I'll try recommend something based on this.

4. OP
    OP
    anark1

anark1 Member

id be keen learning, bonjovi,mettalica, ACDC, nirvana, Ozzy.
    Music I was listening to from the 80s

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  5. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Cool.
    Bon Jovi - Sambora plays mainly a stratocaster style through various amps, but mainly a marshall flavour
    ACDC - Angus is famous for his SG and Marshall amps
    Nirvana - Cobain played a bastardised Fender Mustang through various amps, but I think the Marshall of the era would suit their sound. He used a few effects as well.
    Ozzy/Sabbath - Les Paul guitar into Marshall amps.

So the common theme among them all is the Marshall amp, depending on your budget they can be anywhere between $50 and $5k.. The cheapest (smallest) Marshall out there is the MS-4 micro stack, but its a toy.. An MG30 is about $300 at Manny's, or if you can spend a little, go for a SC20C. Other good ones to look out for would be the Origin 20 (also a 5 or 50 version that'd be good), or maybe the DSL series for heavier tones that will be more along the Sabbath line..

If you're just playing at home Yamaha make some great practice amps called THR10 - there's 3 in the series, just go for the vanilla one I'd say - https://www.mannys.com.au/yamaha-thr10-ii-desktop-guitar-amp-10-watts?SearchId=2207146&SearchPos=1

I have the 'THR10C' model on my desk as a practice amp and they're great. Been playing since I was 15, which is (holy crap..) 25 years now...

Now as for a guitar - stratocasters are very versatile, but they lack a bit of punch for heavy rock stuff. The Yamaha Pacifica you mentioned is a stratocaster style. You may find one with a humbucker pickup in the bridge position that will help with the punch where its needed, like this - https://www.mannys.com.au/yamaha-112v-pacifica-series-electric-guitar-sonic-blue They will have other colours etc..

Otherwise, look at a Squier stratocaster with the HSS config (HSS = Humbucker / Single coil / Single coil), like these: https://www.mannys.com.au/squier-affinity-series-stratocaster-hss-w-laurel-fb-montego-black-metallic or if you have a few more bucks - https://www.mannys.com.au/squier-classic-vibe-70s-stratocaster-hss-w-maple-fingerboard-black The Squier Classic Vibe guitars get very good reviews for their price point.

I've used a bunch of Manny's links simply to indicate local prices. Other stores will have the same stuff at various prices, and used is always cheaper, particularly for amps.

My last piece of advice for anyone picking up guitar - buy a guitar that you think looks f*&^%n cool. Something that makes you want to pick it up and play with it.

Radley, hippyhippy, shino and 2 others like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    anark1

anark1 Member

Thanks heaps man, loads of info to go from. Appreciate the time to reply.

7. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

No probs. I love music and guitars, it was a good way to wake my brain up for the week!

Be sure to post back with what you buy - looking at guitars is like pron for guitarists..

Happy to try answer any other questions as well.

8. shino

shino Member

I recommend YouTube tutorials and maybe Tom morello masterclass

9. OP
    OP
    anark1

anark1 Member

Thanks team, i have been searching you tube for lots of things to try when i get the equipment.
    i know its not going to be a quick thing to learn, but the following video i think gives a decent timeframe of 1000 days , which i think may be doable.

10. ex4n

ex4n Member

I'm into my 30s and have only been learning for a short while. My musical taste lies into the realm of very heavy doom metal to psychedelic rock, but when you're learning this won't be exactly what you start playing.
    I tried a few guitars and settled on a Strat as it felt the best in my hands and it's what I like playing the most, even though it's not ideal for metal/heavier music. I also have an Ibanez with dual humbuckers and a super-thin neck but the strat feels better and so I use it for most of my learning, which is scales, chords, and exercises etc. I would say half the time I practice it's not even plugged in.
    Some really good advice above, one thing I'll add though is look at a Boss Katana for your amp, it has a lot of great features built in and will be a lot more flexible than a Marshall or something else in the same price range. There's heaps of info online about them and how to get different sounds out of it too, and will save you needing any pedals for a while too. Second hand you can get a really nice guitar too, and might be better setup and play better than something new from an online store or shop.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    anark1 likes this.
  11. atmo

atmo Member

anark1 likes this.
  12. Robstar

Robstar Member

Totally agree on the Boss Katana
    For under $400 (the 50w) & you can theoretically gig with it but also play it in your bedroom - Loads of tones & effects to play around with when you’re learning so you can get your sound

13. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

Great post and absolutely this last part :)

AxlOz likes this.
  14. shino

shino Member

Looks like the boss katana 50 mark is 250 on sale. Wonder if I should get it. Or look into it more

15. spokeydokey

spokeydokey Member

Looks like a good price for that amp.

16. OP
    OP
    anark1

anark1 Member

got a guitar and amp now, just need to see if there are any teachers working in these times, or start watching up on online tutorials.

17. Nado

Nado Member

As mentioned above, justinguitar is a really great resource for learning guitar. Jump on a get started.

Rock on

18. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

Online tutorials are excellent these days - probably one of the best ways to get started learning the songs and riffs you love. I wish I had access to what's available these days back when I started learning guitar. Nothing beats a great teacher, but see how you go with online videos.

There's excellent youtube channel I discovered about a month ago called GuitarZero2Hero that I recommend you add to your list along with the others mentioned here :thumbup:

19. OP
    OP
    anark1

anark1 Member

thanks guys, ive been looking at justinguitar and ill have a look at that channel too.

20. caspian

caspian Member

I could not agree more. I just dropped $200USD on an online tutorial course for bass and the quality of the instruction just has me blown away - it's set in the right sized chunks to be easily digestible, there's a lot of pauses in learning to celebrate and enjoy success, and the pace shows they have really thought about their target audience. worth every cent from my point of view and a huge boost to my confidence in tackling the challenge without person to person instruction.

I'd also suggest that purchasing Rocksmith is a good investment. it's not awesome from a point of view of learning theory and style but it's a lot of fun to keep you interested.