Looking to purchase ESD brush set for cleaning PCB and other electronic gears ?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by zillah, Jan 18, 2019.

1. zillah

zillah Member

Dear Experts

I am a tech and I will be using them everyday , ,,,,looking to buy a quality set of anti static cleaning brushes something similar to the below link and there many others sources (but not sure of quality):

https://www.ebay.com/p/8pcs-ESD-SMD...-Brush-Set-for-Repair-PCB-Soldering/686658829

I found OXO brand but not as set

https://www.amazon.com.au/OXO-Good-Grips-Electronics-Cleaning/dp/B0050B6CYW

Can you please advise where can I get them ? If there is no set I don't mind to buy the individual quality one and make a set for myself

No objection to spend little bit since i will be using it everyday

Thanks

2. merlin13

merlin13 Member

From the background I've go, I honestly wouldn't bother with that ESD brush set - set of natural bristle paint brushes with cut-down handles to suit are fine for PCB cleaning. And even a bog-stock toothbrush or two are more than adequate as well.

I've also encountered Yum Cha static brush sets like that that actually generated static, so unless you've got access to the right monitoring equipment I'd take what the ad says with a grain of salt until proven otherwise.

If you've THAT concerned about static control to the degree of needing brushes like those then I think you've got a bit more to worry about than where to find a nice set of matching brushes. Like, are you, your workbench AND your actual workshop and parts storage environment adequately static controlled and monitored?

And before you ask - the people who taught me to solder and professionally rework boards were all NASA-standard trainers, near four decades ago now back when removing the IC from the packaging was major drama at military-grade workstations. I doubt you'd be doing NASA-grade bench work, yes/no?

That OXO brush however I'd give a serious thumbs up on, but only for its versatility on being able to do "stuff" that an normal brush/cleaning pad etc couldn't.

3. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Second the soft bristle brush option, get a good pair from Bunnings and you're sorted. I know Dell and HP onsite techs who use them to clean motherboards and PCB's with good effect.