1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to shoot the V8's.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Ishinomori, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Ishinomori

Ishinomori Member

Hey guys,

As stated, I'm aspiring to shoot the V8 supercars in the future.

Two questions:

How might I go about doing this?

And;

Has anyone here done it and can give me some advice/impressions?

Cheers,

2. Nafe

Nafe Member

Firstly, to shoot V8Supercars you will need to be shooting for a publication. Websites and blogs do not count. It needs to be a full on digital magazine (e.g. Autosport or similar), newspaper, national magazine, or a team.
    You may also be asked to provide evidence of the publication's previous V8Supercar coverage, and also your own portfolio. It depends on whether they know you or not.

So unless you have backing from one of the above, you will struggle to get accreditation. It has been tightened up in 2013, and only going to get tighter.

I would ask you this - why do you want to shoot the V8Supercars?
    You cannot commercially sell any images you take, and there is NO money in it unless you work on a contract with one of the teams. The guys who shoot for the teams fulltime I can count on one hand, so the chances of getting into those gigs is very small.

If you're just starting out in motorsport photography then there's plenty of better ways to start than by trying to jump into the big leagues straight off the bat.

3. OP
    OP
    Ishinomori

Ishinomori Member

Thanks for the heads up.

Yes just starting out, was just curious if it was tightly controlled which you have confirmed, lol.

I dont really ever plan to shoot for a publication so that's out, and im guessing you can't shoot in the staging area. So that leaves the sideline I suppose.

4. Nafe

Nafe Member

Given you're in Newcastle, you'll have the Sydney Motorsport Park Test Day in February and the Championship round in August next year to shoot at if you're wanting V8Supercars. Plus Bathurst if you are keen. The advantage of both tracks is that the spectator areas are VERY good for shooting at. Use both to your advantage to practice.

Else head out to some of the NSW State Championship rounds for practice or the Shannons Nationals rounds - all at Sydney Motorsport Park.

5. OP
    OP
    Ishinomori

Ishinomori Member

Awesome mate, appreciated, will definitely keep them in mind.

Ill be heading to the Telstra 500 in Sydney in December, though I dont expect there to be all that many shioting opportunities.

6. power

power Member

Go in with a different mindset if you are keen to start out. Hunt the opportunities don't expect them to fall into your lap.

7. OP
    OP
    Ishinomori

Ishinomori Member

Lol, I only mean in the sense its a tight track with a lot of fences and/or people in the way from what I remember.

I could be mistaken and find a good vantage.

8. Nafe

Nafe Member

Homebush is about the experience. There's limited good spots to shoot even for accredited photographers. It's just the nature of the street circuit. If you have friends staying in one of the hotels lining the circuit you could try for some shots from their balcony, but otherwise the shooting spots are not fantastic.