1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

LOTRO Lord of the Rings Online F2P

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Deliverancexx, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Fatal..

Fatal.. Member

So is it better to buy the game, and get the 30 days free play, or just download it?

2. lazjen

lazjen Member

If you're just wanting to try it out, wait until Sept 10, d/l it and play for free.

At this point, I'm just glad that I bought lifetime and don't have to pay anything more. While I like LOTRO, I think this nickle and dime approach is just abysmal. I want to explore Middle Earth, not shop the bloody thing.

3. danske91

danske91 Member

agreed, hopefully free to play doesn't flood the game with young kids

4. Lothar

Lothar Member

What servers you fellas mostly on. I have a 50 champ I am looking to play with on Arkenstone still?

5. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

i think elindilmer (sp?) is the main "aussie" server thats where my lvl 46 i think champ is.

what are some good aussie clans on there now days?

6. the-enigma

the-enigma Member

Elendilmir is the Aussie server yeah. I'm in 2 kins now, but it all depends on what you're looking for in a kin, PvMP, raiding, crafting, social stuff, RP etc etc.

7. lazjen

lazjen Member

Elendilmir is the Aussie server.

Some of the kins around I've seen:

Aurora Australis
    Southern Cross
    Nyx (not sure if they're "aussie", but they're around a lot)

I haven't bothered to join a kin - normally just PUG. My wife and I formed our own so we could buy a kinhouse for more chests, housing items. We've actually formed another kin with some of our alts to get another kinhouse soon. :)

8. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

if you do make a public kin then post up here, would like to join when it go's ftp.

never been a fan of big guilds/kins, apart from that fact that u can usually find someone to do a quest with, so would prefer to sign up to a smaller one...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  9. Lothar

Lothar Member

Yeah I will probally stick with Arkenstone myself as I have a 50 champ and 40 minstrel on there. Just seeing who was where and whatnot.

10. lazjen

lazjen Member

We won't be making ours public. If we want to join a kin, we'll pull a character each out of our private kin to join the other one. We've been thinking about Aurora Australis, but haven't got around to it. :)

The main reason why it isn't a problem though is that it is fairly easy to just get pickup groups, especially during oceanic prime - for the higher level content anyway (50+). And for most of the lower level stuff you can do solo or with smaller groups. With f2p, I suspect getting groups for the lower level fellowship content will be a lot easier.

For us, a kin would be most useful for regular raiding - and we've been "casual" on this and again just pug it, which gets us most of the way (we haven't done a couple of end game raids yet).

11. Lothar

Lothar Member

Woot just loged onto my champ last night. Killed one creature and Bam One and a half levels :p. 50 to 51.5.

I am happy. And I also discovered I have a bag full of blue items that I can auction off also. So I wont be a poor man.

However in saying all of that to get my house back it will still cost me 6gold of which I only currently have 600silver.

12. Desert_Runner

Desert_Runner Member

Has this game gone Free to play yet or is it still in the works? Website is kinda vague.

13. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

14. Fatal..

Fatal.. Member

Has anyone downloaded this yet and got it to work? Specifically on a 64-bit OS.

If it did work, where did you download it? Don't want to waste 10GB of usage and have the game not install again.

15. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

i think there is a new client to be release when it go's F2P but i tried the client from the link i gave u a page back and it worked fine, for me anyway.

16. GarethB

GarethB Member

Not quite. The F2P content will be available to paying subscribers on Sep 8 but free players will not be able to join and start a character until Sep 10.

I'm running the standard hires client on Win 7 64 bit. There are a couple of known bugs with Win 7 (I don't know if it's only with the 64 bit version), and I don't know if the F2P launch has a fix for them.

Two bugs involve the camera/view angle doing strange things. One is that the camera starts spinning around the toon in circles non-stop. Most of the time that can be fixed by pressing one of the number pad keys (which are default mapped for camera angle control). Sometims that does not work and I have to log the toon out and in again. Very annoying if it happens in the middle of a fight. The other bug is that the camera angle changes to look down onto the toon from directly above. Numberpad or logout/login is the same fix.

One other bug I've personally only ever seen after changing to Win 7 is that the client stops responding to the keyboard for skill use. If I have skills mapped to certain keys, sometimes pressing those keys does nothing, I have to completely restart the client to get the keymappings to work again. This usually only happenes after playing the game non-stop for an extended time.

These bugs are reasonably rare, I generally only see them once every couple of weeks or so.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  17. Lothar

Lothar Member

18. Fatal..

Fatal.. Member

Cheers guys. I downloaded through the actual LOTRO website, so maybe that link is dodgey.

Forgot about that :p I'll give it a go VERY shortly!

19. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

dw, i'm sure lebron also forgot about Cleavland, deliberately though :lol:

20. Desert_Runner

Desert_Runner Member

Client is also available on 3FL downloads for those using iiNet.