1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

LOTRO Lord of the Rings Online F2P

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Deliverancexx, Jun 5, 2010.

1. lazjen

lazjen Member

One way or another you will pay, no matter what the marketing tries to tell you. As a "f2per", you'll need to get TP to use in the store to open up quests, etc. You can get TP either by buying it, or by grinding deeds.

Overall, this update/release has been pretty crappy so far. Many bugs and lots of unhappy people.

If you do try the game, I would be cautious at this time about spending any real cash on it (via subs and/or lotro store). There's just too many bugs in this area alone that need to be fixed before I'd be handing over any money.

In the game itself, it's been quite busy from what I've seen. Lots of people online and even queues to log in. I expect this to drop off a bit in a couple of weeks as the "land rush" settles.

2. omen_child

omen_child Member

Looks like the free-to-play transition is having the desired effect. 560 people in the queue to play this morning.

3. GarethB

GarethB Member

It's a national long weekend in the US at the moment, so it's not suprising the queue is long.

4. lazjen

lazjen Member

I think that was last weekend (Labor day), wasn't it? Anyway, it's still early Sunday night there atm.

Lotro forums are almost useless - nothing much is loading.

5. FiShy

FiShy Member

Could never find any aussies to play with... might play again

6. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

I rather not play MMO's with queues :wired:

7. sparz14

sparz14 Member

wooo.....downloading it..... why is this game so big lol... 10gig + this is gunna take 6 + hours

8. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

because the game world is massive, bigger then WoW easily.

9. GarethB

GarethB Member

The hirez client is 13 gig at the moment. I don't know if the lorez client is much smaller.

10. hugrugg

hugrugg Member

Hi Frood i found this thread, and was like Southern Defenders.. that name sounds familiar , then it clicked thats the Kinship im in :o

My Character is Warguren, Elf Hunter - been playing LOTRO for about a month and really enjoying it.

11. lazjen

lazjen Member

Queues are fairly unusual in the game. Turbine's having network issues atm, so they've got more queueing setup than normal.

12. Xcile

Xcile Member

Signed up and started playing F2P. Don't mind it at all. Rather interesting at the moment and not noticing any issues with the F2P content, seems quiet good.

I'm in Kin: Southern Defenders. with Frood and Warguren on Elendilmir not had a queue yet.

See how it goes.

13. Critical_Impact

Critical_Impact Member

You will eventually run into a wall where you wont be able to do quests, honestly if you like the game, what I'd do is go VIP(subscribe) for a month of two, you'll then have 1000 turbine points and whatever points you collect on your journey, which you can then use to unlock some of the quest packs.

Check out http://lotro.mmorsel.com/2010/08/content-by-level-chart.html to see what F2P gives you. I actually bought a pack that had Shadows of Angmar, Mines of Moria and Siege of Mirkwood for $30. Works out well as I can unsub when I get to the later levels.

14. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

The normal res client is 7GB.

I'm level seven and i'm bored.. When does the fun start?

The motion is giving me a head ache and making me feel a bit.. not dizzy but it feels like a sinus head ache. Do any of you feel that way when playing?

15. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

I did. that's why i stopped playing after beta / prelaunch.

Not sure if there is any tweaks, maybe existing players know?

16. sparz14

sparz14 Member

im level 8 and im pretty bored..... i really expected much much more. Graphics arent that great, controls are annoying. Having to run up to an enemy before u can activate a skill is annoying. Having to look directly at an enemy to hit them is annoying.

It needs guild wars controls...

Im going to make a new character and see if its any more fun.

17. lazjen

lazjen Member

Skills have ranges to them, not all are such that you need to be "up to an enemy". The UI indicates when you're in range for a skill. I can't recall if there's a UI setting that will make you go into range to attack.

I'm ambivalent on the "facing target" issue. I would hate having the camera jerked around excessively for some form of auto-facing system. I do find it aggravating at times when I start a skill with correct facing, but by the time it fires, the facing is wrong and I haven't been quick enough to fix it.

If you're a MMO "veteran" or single-player PC RPGer, I suspect the early levels of LOTRO will be a bit boring - certainly when I do alts, I don't find it much fun at low levels. For me, the most fun is the higher levels, especially in groups.

18. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

How long do i have to wait until i can join a group for a dungeon run? That might be the fun i'm after.

19. GarethB

GarethB Member

The first dungeon that was specifically developed for group play is aimed at level 20 characters. It's called the Great Barrow and it's part of the Barrow Downs near Bree. You get to pre-run some of it solo as an epic quest involving Tom Bombadil (you can group for the quest as well), but doing a full run of the dungeon is not part of an epic quest.

After that is a place called Garth Argarwen in the Lone Lands, east of Bree. I can't remember exactly what level it is set for, high 20's or so. That place used to be one big dungeon that took a while to complete, but earlier this year the devs revamped it into three smaller sections that can be done seperately. It's also connected to the epic quests and if you know your Middle Earth lore, the wizard Radagast is involved as well.

After that is the Tomb of Elendil in a zone called Evendim, north of the shire, intended for mid-30 characters. It's not particularly big and it's at the end of a long but interesting quest chain closely tied to Aragorn.

The first of the "classic" LOTRO dungeons that hasn't been revamped is a place called Fornost in the North Downs, north of Bree. It takes a while to run and is aimed at level 40 characters.

At around the same level is Goblin Town, a large cave crawling with goblns in the Misty Mountains north of Rivendell.

At mid-40's are two more, Carn Dum and Urugarth both in Angmar, north of the North Downs. These two used to be almost compulsory because each character class had special quests involving finding key items in those two dungeons. The quests stil exists and you can still get the items for the quests from the two dungeons but there is an alternate way to get the items as well.

Next is "The Rift" in the extreme northeast corner of Angmar, aimed at level 50. When level 50 was the experience cap this was THE end game dungeon that the raiders in the game wanted to run the most and was intended to be run as a multi-group raid rather than a 6 player instance. The final boss is a balrog (think of the big burning beastie Galdalf has to face alone on the bridge in Moria, "you shall not pass". One of those, but without Gandalf to tank it for you this time).

At around the same level is another raid in the misty mountains called Helegrod, smaller in size and faster to run than The Rift.

After that are some small group instances in Eregion near Moria, then Moria itself with six full group instances and several multi-group raids, then Mirkwood with some small group instances, a 6 player raid and a 12 player raid, all at the current level cap.

That may not seem like much compared to some other games, but Turbine have added what they call "skirmishes" which a scalable instances. You have to reach level 30 before you can run a skirmish and different skirmishes unlock based on your experience level (and free players have extra restrictions in which skirmishes they can do), but skirmishes can be started from any location in the game, you don't have to go to a specific place to start a skirmish like you do with regular instances/raids.

I may have missed some but those are the main ones. I've run most of them at one time or another but there are a couple I've never been in.

20. sparz14

sparz14 Member

well i started a hunter and its much less annoying than the melee character i made before...

although i still dont see myself playing this game any longer than a week