1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

LOTRO Lord of the Rings Online F2P

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Deliverancexx, Jun 5, 2010.

1. lazjen

lazjen Member

Just some corrections/additions:

* Skirmishes start at level 20 now
    * Garth Agarwen is now targeted at high 20s, low 30s
    * Angmar has some other raids/instances as well as the ones mentioned above.
    * Most of these instances can be reached as part of the "classic" instances - join from anywhere in the world instead of having to travel to the entrance, just like skirmishes.
    * There are also some solo instances in Eregion and Moria for crafting resources and to get legendary item stuff.
    * Lothlorien has some instance stuff too for around level 60, but these are rarely run now - hopefully they'll get the "classic" workover in the future.

2. lazjen

lazjen Member

It's certainly not for everyone.

I was lucky in that a good proportion of my game time has been duoing with my wife. I think just soloing I would probably have given up by now.

Maybe finding a kin and leveling with someone else may help.

3. GarethB

GarethB Member

I'd also forgotten the three 6-player Annuminas instances in the Evendom zone, now accessable through the skirmish system.

4. Ricardo

Ricardo Member

I've played LOTRO since beta and have a lifetime time sub; I stopped playing just after the lvl 61-65 expansion. I tried to update my LOTRO client and it d/loaded about 1.8G worth of data and after a couple of reboots the client stops on loading with an error on checking game program files and the check retrys evey 59 seconds. Any ideas? should I un-install and download new files? or is ther a fix?

If i have to d/load is there somewhere fast I can download from, the lotro website is only serving at 250Kb, its going to take 12 hours to download.

Regards

Ric

5. GarethB

GarethB Member

Turbine have done some hotfixes overnight so perhaps your client update will work properly now.

A handy list of instances/raids in LOTRO: http://lotro.mmorsel.com/2010/08/instances-by-level.html

I soloed the Great Barrows Thadur instance on my 65 Guardian the other night. I set the instance to level 25 and most of it was a cakewalk, but even at level 25 the final boss was not easy. I have real doubts I could solo Thadur at the same level on my 65 minstrel because of his power drains (guardians have several power recovery skills, minstrels don't).

The final challenge before the boss wasn't so easy either, a class that doesn't have a ranged attack that resets quickly (captain and burgler) may not be able to complete the challenge.

6. Ricardo

Ricardo Member

Tried it this morning at it uploaded program updates only to stall at game data updates ....... it whole thing is painfull.

I tried downloading the Highres client but it's going to take 13 hours or more.

Very dissapointing.

Ric

7. zooba

zooba Member

Started a f2p character a few days ago. currently level 15 champ. I'm enjoying my time in the lotr universe. so different from guildwars, which is the only other mmo i've played. Is there an ocau Kin?

* forgot to mention that im playing on Elendilmir.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  8. Sandez

Sandez Member

I have a char there- a Guardian called Alandior. Add me!

9. zooba

zooba Member

Added. my name is Zoobs

10. Sundance

Sundance Member

9 out of 10.5 GB done. It's too big, hope it's worth it. :mad:

Are there any Aussie servers for this?

11. Ricardo

Ricardo Member

I'm running windows 7 64bit and I get to game data file updating and get the can decrypt or de-serialise error. Is there a way around this?

12. r8response

r8response Member

I got the 'supposed' highres client from Gamearena. Suffice to say, that was 5 hours worth of downloads wasted.

Installs, soon as you start the launcher you get the same error no matter what you try.

13. Sundance

Sundance Member

My high-res download is stuck after downloading 9 GB. :confused:

14. HairyMerkin

HairyMerkin Member

What happens after you use up the 24hr rental mount? Can you rent another?

15. fatman350

fatman350 Member

I believe it was "Run as Administrator" that got me out of that problem :!:

As for playing I am also on Elendilmir lvl 15 champ, character is over 3 years old from a 10 day free trial key and playing with known EQ friends ;) still play EQ though as well.
    (EQ=Everquest or Evercrack)

Sundance get someone to burn and send you the copy of the installer files if you have the need or someone local also no aussie servers but Elendilmir seems popular for aussies I count about 5 kinship's (guilds), terra-australis, aurora australis, larrikins of the south and 2 others I can't recall

HairyMerkin, yes you can rent another horse it just costs silver each time !

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  16. Ricardo

Ricardo Member

Thanks for the tip will try it this weekend.

When i played LOTRO full-time I belonged to an aussie based kin called Southern Cross, a very nice bunch.

Ric

17. fatman350

fatman350 Member

Yep their still around :thumbup:

18. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Member

So, is Elendilmir the best server to join for Aussies?

19. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

I hope so - I've signed up there as well :p
    Level 1 Captain - Dodoman

20. supernom

supernom Member

I just started playing yesterday I have a lvl 7 dwarf champion on Elendilmir :)