1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Losing primary drive

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by damngood18, Nov 17, 2018.

1. damngood18

damngood18 New Member

Hi,
    I have a black box intel i3-2100 @3.1, 8gb 5 years, Win 10. 18 mths ago my primary drive was not responding intermittingly and the BIOS wouldn't see it. It was suggested the HD it might be on the way out. So I got another HD & SSD. 8 months ago the same problem happened to my SSD. I would correct it by swapping the SATA to another port. That was happening every 3-4 weeks. Now it happens daily or more. Now to correct it I unplug the SATA, reboot, replug in SATA, change boot sequence back to SSD. First I thought it was the drive, then possibly the psu, I don't really have a clue. I thought the whole pc locked up, but I noticed certain processes keep going like screen, mouse but not clicking, Skype was still working voice but screen locked up.

Any ideas welcome.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Done all firmware updates for your motherboard?

3. O-B-E-L-I-X

O-B-E-L-I-X Member

Is this P67 chipset M/B? If so, B3 revision?

4. power

power Member

5 years old?

probably the board failing.

check for bios updates though, you may find there was an early bios that fixed this issue - it happens and sometimes you'll use a device for years and it's never been updated.

5. OP
    OP
    damngood18

damngood18 New Member

Thanks for the reply.

MSI P67A-C45

There may be one more update, although i flashed my bios it still has the previous revision date.

If my Mobo is failing how hard is to keep all my existing hardware inc ram, cpu and swap the Mobo over? I'm a bit light on for coin and I don't really push my pc these days. More of a terminal than anything else. I appreciate there is a bit of work involved and I have to find andolder Mobo for the DDR3 and CPU. Or do have to bite the bullet and write most of it off.

Curiosly its only losing the primary (SSD), running Intel SSD scan on it now.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  6. breno

breno Member

Tried a new sata cable?

7. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  8. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

It can be a nightmare trying to isolate what problems are, if you don't have spare parts laying around and you're really strapped for cash. You go get another mobo, then find out it still doesn't work. You get some replacement RAM and then turns out the CPU is stuffed. etc etc. Heartbreaking if you end up throwing good money after bad.

I'd first check if it's the SATA cable, as breno suggested above.
    Then I'd pull out the PSU, take it down to the corner computer shop and ask them to run a tester over it for you to check its health. (Most will do that for you for about ten bucks.)

With those checked it's gotta be somewhere in the mobo/cpu/RAM core of the rig, and in all honesty with limited resources available I'd just bite the bullet and find a mobo/CPU/RAM bundle in Swap Meet here. There are often good quality bundles in good working order selling here at quite affordable prices. Stuff being passed on from people who are simply upgrading to something newer.

If your rig is 5 years old or more you're probs just shit outta luck. Most computers will run fine for considerably longer than that, but some just don't and for most people if the rig is regularly having problems it's time to ditch it and move on. Coz most people just don't have the resources and spare parts available to allow them to troubleshoot and definitively isolate the cause of the problems.

9. breno

breno Member

From what they've written sounds like it's the only thing they haven't tried.

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I had massive issues with Win10 and SATA controller drivers. The generic Win10 SATA drivers were causing nothing but issues with system hard locks. It was isolated to the mobo (old school South Bridge (I/O)) the Crucial SSD HC and Bitlocker.

My issue and analysis is here:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...ower-41-enhancedstorage-ehstortcgdrv.1210045/

Either way I would be keeping a notepad next to the PC and taking note of the date/time stamps of each event.

Reviewing Event Viewer against those DATA plots (date/time) and investigate what occurred just before that point.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  11. OP
    OP
    damngood18

damngood18 New Member

[QUOTE="
    If your rig is 5 years old or more you're probs just shit outta luck. Most computers will run fine for considerably longer than that, but some just don't and for most people if the rig is regularly having problems it's time to ditch it and move on. Coz most people just don't have the resources and spare parts available to allow them to troubleshoot and definitively isolate the cause of the problems.[/QUOTE]

Well thanks to all the repsonses, I did rotate through a few SATA cables. On reflection, I'm a little embarrassed. I've hobbeled in my old Mazda 808 thats missing into a custom performance car club. I've been stuck in a time bubble, I've seen it happen to others but now myself. As I get older it felt like I only bought that PC yesterday and I'm trying to hang on to it.

I'm waving the white flag and doing a 2-4 part upgrade.

1. I'm going to swap over my MoBo to a MSI B360M MORTAR LGA1151 + 8gb RAM. Cheekly reusing my old CPU. I will wrestle with Win10 and try to keep the same install and do a fresh install if it fails.
    2. Next, if it's still failing, I will borrow to upgrade my CPU, namely: Intel BX80677I77700 i7-7700 3.6G 6MB 4Core CPU which I believe will slot straight in.
    3. If, after that, It's still failing I will conclude it may be the PSU and finally swap that over.
    4. And then I will procrastinate about putting in a graphics card. My son may force that.

Thanks again for all your help looking at my Mazda 808.

adamsleath likes this.