Loss of performance from 2500 to 3770?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Aequitas, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Aequitas

Aequitas Member

Not sure here or games is the best place but it’s a hardware change that has happened. So here to start.

got hold of a 3770 (non k) to see if it would assist with frame drops in games. Alas it had the opposite effect :(

I had a 2500 (also non k) in and in valorant I got up to max ~200fps with drops down under 144 which I was hoping to assist (I know gpu plays a greater role). However after putting in the 3770 (and having it run at higher clocks than the 2500) valorant now maxed out at 170fps and spends a lot of time below 120.

what could have caused this? 3D mark score is same for the gpu and much higher for the cpu. FYI.

nothing else has changed. Temps are excellent. Over lock on both gpu and cpu are stable.

please help.

2. Elmf

Elmf Member

Is your RAM running at the same speed? Potentially due to whatever reasons maybe changing CPU lowered RAM settings down to SPD speeds as opposed to XMP.
    Worth checking. Although the difference of a few hundred Mhz of RAM speed in DDR3 days shouldn't change much.

3. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

+1 double check the memory

4. straiton

straiton Member

hyperthreading enabled?

Elmf likes this.
  5. groovetek

groovetek Member

What overclock did you set on your non-K 3770 exactly?

Elmf likes this.
  6. luke o

luke o Member

They are almost identical CPU's once overclocked, slightly more cache on the 3770 and slightly better IPC... odd to see a degradation in performance should have seen no change or a slight improvement.

As noted above I'm guessing you reset the BIOS to install the CPU and wiped the XMP memory settings, and need to re-apply to get the RAM running at the right speeds (e.g. maybe it's at 1600mhz instead of 2400mhz if it's DDR3).

Elmf likes this.
  7. Elmf

Elmf Member

This too. I didn't realise you had the 3770 overclocked.

Worth noting that 2500 is 4c 4t while 3770 is 4c 8t so you definitely SHOULD see better performance. Maybe not up from a 2600 though.

You may have an unstable overclock.

8. OP
    OP
    Aequitas

Aequitas Member

Thanks for the info guys. To answer the questions.
    2500 was 103 x 41 (all core) = 4.2, the 3770 is 103 x 43 = 4.4 all core. Rock stable prime95 confirmed. Temps never go over mid 60s.
    the Ram is set to the same settings, yes i reset bios but also went in and did the manual overclock of the ram. no XMP that i can find on this board. The ram is not great btw, as this is a thrown together system for a kid in care, i used what i could. It runs at 1333 (with the small bump for BLK to 1372) i have tightened the timings with a limit v bump, and is also stable. Dont really see any performance increase on the 2500 with better ram anyway, could this be holding the 3770 back? That much?

It has really got me stumped. I dont really want to go down the path of complete refresh but perhaps that might have to happen next weekend. :( new fresh OS, new fresh game install the works.

Edit: trialed 1600 on the ram. Works. Will have to make sure with a few more test, but appears good. Absolutely no change in fps performance :( even with the same tighter timings as before. Cant see how bumping up had no effect, something else is at play here. I am now worried the GPU is on its way out :(

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  9. OP
    OP
    Aequitas

Aequitas Member

if anyone has old non used ddr3 2133 or even 1866 lying around they want to donate, i wont say no :) happy to pay postage, but this is charity work, and i cant afford to set a precedent and buying things. It would be my ass :(

10. luke o

luke o Member

Whilst this is 4c 8t chip vs 4c flat most games don't use more than 4 cores even today. Some newer ones will.

If RAM speeds are the same I'd now be looking a bit deeper, things like cmd rate 1T vs 2T and other timings like CAS latency. If you had any of those tweaked tighter/faster then you'd see anywhere between 5-10% performance increase by turning them back on.

Beyond that I really don't know man! Weird as!

11. Elmf

Elmf Member

I'm not even sure he'd see 10% difference in FPS based on 1600Mhz timings on old RAM, I'm not even sure made that much of a big difference back then. Sounds weird...

12. OP
    OP
    Aequitas

Aequitas Member

Will take a look, but agree i dont think this could be the cause of the problem. Something else has happened. I am going to actually see if putting the 2500 back in still increases the FPS this weekend and go from there.

It may have been an update to the gpu drivers or even the game itself and he didnt notice the frame drop, but thats pretty significant, to go from 140-200, down to 110-170.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming if you can think of something else to look at.

Elmf likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Aequitas

Aequitas Member

going to have to see if putting the 2500 back in has an impact now. Have exhausted the options otherwise. complete fresh install of LITE gaming version of Win10. Updated all drivers and optimised everything i can. FPS is unchanged. :( have an awful feeling the GPU is on its way out.
    I will also pull the GPU out and reapply thermal paste this weekend too. Maybe prolong it a little.

14. rthy

rthy Member

cpu temps?
    if you run stock, any difference?

15. OP
    OP
    Aequitas

Aequitas Member

CPU temp never gets about mid 60 deg. Not an issue. Turbo stays maxed.
    Its a real bummer. I cant see how it could be a CPU issue either. Its got me stumped.

16. rthy

rthy Member

firmware update?

17. OP
    OP
    Aequitas

Aequitas Member

rthy more info please? firmware for which component? have the latest bios for motherboard. latest driver and even dp firware for gpu.
    Think you are starting to see the frustration lol

Elmf likes this.
  18. Elmf

Elmf Member

I'll be perplexed if FPS goes up going back to 2500, but I highly doubt it.

19. rthy

rthy Member

which mb do you have?

had no issues when going from a i5 3570 to i7 3770 on a GA-B75M-D3H