Lost trying to plan a trip to Thailand.

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Dimtar, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Dimtar

Dimtar Member

Hi All.

Wanting to plan a 3 week holiday to Thailand in October, I believe I want to goto Phuket but to be honest I am currently lost in it all.

My partner and I want to stop by Singapore on the way there to see a family member. Firstly why are flights like $3000 for the both of us? I thought with a few months notice they may not have been so much but maybe its the holiday season? No idea.

I am novice here, where or where abouts should we stay? What should we do, do we goto Pa-Tong or somewhere else?

Any help for a noob would be lovely, thanks guys.

2. stevenx

stevenx Member

What sort of stuff do you want to do in Thailand? It's a big place!

Phuket is, in general, a nasty place. There are nice parts of it but in general... why bother with it when there are much nicer places nearby?

Where are you looking for flights? I can find Sydney or Melbourne to Phuket return on Malaysia Airlines for under $775 per person, heading out around the 3rd and returning around the 23rd.

3. OP
    OP
    Dimtar

Dimtar Member

Eat Thai food (favourite food), see tigers hopefully, hang out in pools/beaches, ride an elephant, go for bush/rainforest/forest walks and explore I guess?

Pa Tong and Ao Nang are the places that people have suggested, I would like to land in Phuket but I am by no means set on staying in it. Ideally I would like a resort or something on the beach.

So far been looking for flights on webjet, those flights you quote look good. The only problem I have is that I have been on Airbus A330's before between Sydney and Melbourne and I nearly cannot fit the seats are sooo close together.

I am hoping that that is because of the seat configuration?

4. stevenx

stevenx Member

Patong is the most "popular" beach area of Phuket but it's basically the place where drunken louts, sex tourists, and boorish Russians hang out. Stay away, unless you're into that kind of thing...

Ao Nang is pretty cool, though according to Wikipedia it's the most westernised beach at Krabi. I've only passed through, never stayed.

My pick is neither. Try Khao Lak. Great beaches, easy access to the amazing Khao Sok National Park, good eats, some seriously good accommodation, great diving, very few scammers/touts/sex tourists/bogans/crowds, some cool bars, and some fascinating history. The only thing it doesn't have - which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned - are sedated tigers for tourists to play with.

Here's a photo of Khao Sok. You can do the elephant thing there, stay in a little house on the water (they're... rustic), wander about in the jungle with a guide who knows what's up, and maybe even find non-sedated, wild tigers and elephants :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Khao Lak and Khao Sok are pretty cool places. Much cooler than Phuket if you don't want the crowds and the party and the tourist oriented Thai food and shitty beaches and scammers and touts and prostitutes...

Re: flights, those flights are with Malaysia Airlines flying in a 747 or a 777 between Australia and KL, and a 737 for the short hop between KL and Phuket. Looking here, they have excellent seat pitch. Several inches more than Qantas.

With three weeks, though, I'd look into spending some time - maybe a week - in northern Thailand, around (but not necessarily in) Chiang Mai. Somewhere nearby like Mae Hong Son will show you an awesome part of the world :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  5. daveaus

daveaus Member

+1 on Chiang Mai, awesome place.

If your into nature and hiking hire a car in Chiang Mai (its not as daunting as you think once your out of the city) and head to Doi Inathon.

To get yourself a cheap flight try flightfox.com

If your planning on booking now accor has a decent sale on at the moment. http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/promotion/specials/crazyprices.shtml

I wouldn't spend too much time in Phuket.

Eat Thai food (favourite food), - Bangkok
    see tigers hopefully, - Day tour from Bangkok
    hang out in pools - Bangkok (Pullman King Power included in accor sale is a awesome hotel for the price and has a very decent pool)
    /beaches, - Phuket
    ride an elephant, - Day tour from Bangkok
    go for bush/rainforest/forest walks - Chiang Mai

6. Croma

Croma Member

Phuket wise, patong was pretty lame.. I found it kinda boring and far too many touristy stuff..

However, that being said, i hired a car and drove AROUND phuket and it was AMAZING! there is soo much amazing stuff there, just get out of patong!! The other side and the north of the island is absolutely beautiful!

Bangkok is pretty awesome, just be aware of scams and you should be right..

7. OP
    OP
    Dimtar

Dimtar Member

Thanks guys, the mrs and I have been able to find alot more stuff based on the comments here and we are starting to formulate a plan.

Has anyone flown Scoot before, their chair pitches are confusing me somewhat.

8. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

Their long-haul economy is definitely more at 34" compared with 31" for Qantas economy (although I actually believe from my own experience Qantas is more like 32" on the A380) but short-haul at 30" is very tight indeed. Qantas partner option from SIN - BKK will be either Jetstar Asia, Malaysian (when the partnership launches in October), or Cathay. Jetstar is the cheapest.

If you reckon you can't fit on a A330 operated by Qantas, you will be lucky to fit on Scoot except in their ScootBiz offering. I'm flying them in a few weeks and yes they're cheap, but it sounds like this is not an option for you. They are fully Low-Cost in their offering and thus you should expect close and narrow to be the order of the day.

Scoots's Economy is in three levels - Stretch at 35+ inches, Space at 35 inches and normal at 30. Both stretch and space are paid-for and still will be quite narrow. If width is your problem, you will not enjoy this.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  9. OP
    OP
    Dimtar

Dimtar Member

That's what confuses me, I recently flew back to Australia on an A380 and its pitch is apparently 31" and that's the same as Scoot, by that logic I should fit fine given my legs fitted on the A380 but then the seat pitch on Jetstar's flights are 31" as well?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  10. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

Is pitch or width your problem?

11. OP
    OP
    Dimtar

Dimtar Member

Pitch is my issue.

12. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

Right, got a bit confused as you had issues with the A330 which has the same pitch as the other planes in the fleet, but different width :)

In that case, you could very nearly go for a space seat on Scoot and try your luck, it will be narrow but you'll get almost as much pitch as a domestic business seat on Qantas!

If you are going to Singapore first, then look at Qantas or Singapore Air if they are decent for price. October is starting to get toward Uni exams finishing which means lots of students going home for the holidays but you may be lucky. Then from there, just grab a seat on whoever is cheapest, as it's a 2.5 hour flight you should be alright even if it is quite tight (for comparison, I'm 196cm and can do Jetstar for 2 hours without being TOO uncomfortable).

13. OP
    OP
    Dimtar

Dimtar Member

Scoot offer an option for us to pick a row with only two seats by the window, its the same price as the space seat so I think we will just go that way. If the normal seats turn out ok then we will know for next time. Thanks for your help.

14. timsarg

timsarg Member

stay away from pjuket, patong etc .

Go to places like chiang mai and you get to experience stuff like this

[​IMG]

or this

[​IMG]

plenty of awesome cheap food . I would love to go back to northern thailand and explore it more . I miss thailand

15. german

german Member

tmsarg, where were those pics taken?

I'm planning to head over for christmas/new years so try to get as much info on places to go as I can.

16. Wet Sandwich

Wet Sandwich Member

Yeah phuket is mostly a hole, you can go to Bali, Sydney or Melbourne or the Gold Coast if you want to hang with drunk bogan Aussies.

Chiang Mai has Tiger Kingdom (probably where that tiger photo is, you can also go in with full size ones which I did, awesome), plenty of jungle tours etc, and several cooking farms where you can go and do a day of cooking courses for like $30. Theres also treetop adventure type stuff in jungles

The one good thing about phuket though is the island boat tours. Look past the hordes of tourists and scammers etc and they are bautiful..

If you've got several weeks it's worth spending some time in Laos as well. 1 country away but a world of difference. Takes time or money to travel in or out of though due to the goat track roads or very few airlines that go there..

http://i.images.cdn.fotopedia.com/f...ang_Prabang/Kuang_Si_Falls/Kuang_Si_Falls.jpg

I'm going back just to go to this waterfall and swing the shit out of that rope again all day long.

17. timsarg

timsarg Member

http://www.tigerkingdom.com/Home.htm

and here

http://www.maesaelephantcamp.com/

both in chiang mai

and wet here are the bigger ones . IMO the 6 week old cubs were more fun as they climbed all over you

[​IMG]

18. stevenx

stevenx Member

Are the tigers sedated or au naturel?

19. timsarg

timsarg Member

the bigger tigers didn't seem sedated to me , i have a video where my mate accidentally sat on a tigers tail and he snapped around pretty quick . enough to make my mate shit his pants hahaha . All the bigger tigers are 22 months or younger as when they reach 22 months they start to become agressive and are shipped off to zoo's etc . They are all hand reared from birth so i guess the constant human contact leaves them a little more "sedated"

the cubs no way. they were so active it was like playing with big domestic cats , was truly awesome experience as i am a cat lover

20. Stegs

Stegs Member

Hey! I just came back from a 5 week adventure in Thailand!

My strong advice. Avoid Phuket or if flying there do not stay longer than 2 days! It is a sex/hustler area. If you are with your partner then it is not optimal.
    Lot's of older perverted men running around after young thai girls. bad vibe and the Thais there are not what you would call "traditional Thais".

I would say from Phuket, head straight to PHI PHI Island (Kho Phi Phi) and stay there for 4-6 days. Lot's of activities to go to and places to see surrounding it. It is beautiful and most don't actually stay there so they do not see it for what it truly is. Great mix of party/scenery with great lookouts and also beach party's every night if you want to go down that way.

From there go island hopping (cheap) and head to Railay Island. And they have lot's of activities to do there, not to mention it is one of the rock climbing/free solo metas of the world.

Somewhere after the islands head to KHAO SOK as someone else mentioned.
    STAY at Smileys bungalows! Nicest family EVER and they will look after you in terms of price and service.
    Note, this is in the jungle so you will see elephants roaming the streets around this point.
    Smileys have there own Lake house on the lake. it is a much nicer one than all of the others and you will wake up to a beautiful lake in between insane cliffs full of monkeys etc.

From there I would say head up to Chang Mai in my opinion.
    That was basically my itinerary and it was the best time I have ever been there. (Third time).

Happy to talk more about other options in pm etc if you want more info.