low level programming languages for the web

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by deepspring, Mar 20, 2012.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

When I mentor junior sysadmins, I generally tell them that with modern virtualisation, you can create enterprise-scale networks pretty easily at home. Simulating WANs, VPNs, high-latency connections and the like are trivial with a copy of any popular Linux distro and the built in virtualisation and networking tools. In fact, I currently work for a company that delivers large JBoss clusters for realtime web applications, and 100% of our complex development environments sit on virtualised infrastructure. We don't hit bare metal until our staging environments. Linux includes all sorts of tools that can easily simulate internet-style conditions (packet loss, high latency and jitter, etc) quite easily to really test your apps out.

Most of my juniors are die-hard PC gamers, sporting multi-core PCs packed with 8+ GB of RAM, and then tell me they can't afford test labs at home. I tell them they already have one, they just don't know it. :)

Raspberry Pi is going to have an official Fedora spin for it, which I think is good news if you're after a system where you don't want to have to screw around too much to get packages working, and can instead concentrate on the application level.

I find with some embedded systems, half the battle is just compiling up the stuff you need for basic OS-level operations to work the way you want. If you get something that works with a popular distro like Fedora, you've got the power of their entire packaging community there to make your life a hell of a lot easier.

Just my 2c.

2. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

Thanks Elvis. I didn't think to look at using virtualisation, you have been probably the most helpful person in this thread. In fact I think you just saved me $2000. I will look at upgrading my poor little dual-core 13" MBP RAM instead and go with that. ;)

I was looking at using was either Gentoo or Arch for the OS, because you can customise and compile the kernel during the install.

3. Wako

Wako Member

Sounds like you could easily bash this out on the raspberry pi's/your current computer using
    Python with Zeromq (well pyzmq).
    and cherrypy as your webserver.

Basically from your requirements I think you could easily have a working prototype using the software as above.

From that working version you could continue working towards your final goal.. atleast this way you could have a working project going pretty quickly rather than biting off more than you can chew.

And for learning about building a linux system from scratch, you can follow this:
    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/
    and again you can just use your current hardware for this.

4. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

Thanks wako. :D

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  5. extremedavo

extremedavo Member

Given you have a limited budget, you can simulate a complex enterprise environment on one computer using virtual machines. Have a look at ESXi from VMWare, its a great hypervisor package and will let you deploy multiple VM's with different OS flavors simply and easily.

I would deploy a windows and linux VM environment, then setup DNS, Proxies, DHCP servers, Apache web servers etc and then proceed to ask as many questions as you can on sites like: http://serverfault.com/

When you say "optimise and compile a distro" I am going to assume you are not going to attempt to modify kernels but simply writing small ANSI C programs and getting them to cross compile on various platforms. For that I would look at as many C examples on the net as I could and ask lots of well thought out questions at places like http://stackoverflow.com (where the pros hang out)

Also when you say "Write a custom web server software to server up" I think you mean write a simple web app that is active on a server and is served up by a web server (I would stick with the industry standard, Apache). There are plenty of really cool technologies that you can try to serve up you data like Django (Python which is MVC based), PHP, ASP etc. There are literately thousands, take your pick.

For writing custom client/server applications I would start small and learn what you can about socket programming in something like python (which ticks all you boxes in your first post, and more!). There are plenty of guides and tutorials on the web regarding sockets. Sounds like you are looking to develop a distributed, multi-parallel processing system which I think might be a little bit out of reach at the moment. But if you want to jump in the deep end then check out MPI and more specifically Open MPI (http://www.open-mpi.org/).

Setting up data centers even small ones is not trivial. I would not worry about storage connectivity (NAS, SAN, DAS etc) I would concentrate on data storage concepts like RAIDs, data rates, backups etc you will get more benefit from that. So I would buy a few disks, maybe 4 or so and do a software raid 5, raid 0 etc. You will learn a great deal about your OS, your hardware and your storage if you play with RAIDS.

Have fun and Good luck

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  6. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

Thank you for the info. I will definitely look into everything you mentioned.

7. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

Many thanks to everyone who has helped me in this thread.

Due to personal reasons, I've had to put the project on hold for a month or two. I am still going to do it, and I desperately want to learn how to setup a cluster, and write client/server software to run on it... it just won't be right now.

8. Paronga

Paronga Member

:o
    SHOCK HORROR!

no one saw that comming :rolleyes:

9. Foliage

Foliage Member

cool post bro

10. extremedavo

extremedavo Member

What a helpful chap

11. somedood

somedood Member

Nerd fight! K Go!

12. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

It's cool. Time seems like a trivial thing to those that don't have 3 minimum wage jobs to contend with.

I am in the process of learning Go at the moment. I would like to say that is an easy language to pick up...

13. Herro

Herro Member

Can someone please shoot me in the fucking head. What a waste of time, I hadn't even figout out how I was going to make fun of the OP and then it's all over red rover.

To anyone who was helpful, your're nicer than me.

"But, by writing my own, I'm hoping to learn something new about myself."

Lol.

14. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

Would you like me to shoot in you butt instead, after all, thats where most arm-chair-professor-zealots have their brains right? :lol:

15. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Shoot him in the butt with what, your love canon? :Paranoid:

16. froggyfrance

froggyfrance Member

I'm still sure that this must be a troll thread :p

17. Herro

Herro Member

To be an armchair Zealout, I'd have to he ignorant of the subject. Sadly I'm not.

I'll translate for the rest of the thread.

Don't post a question intimating that you have knowledge of a subject when you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about as well as the terms and terminology you are using. I know that infection of hubris you have must sometimes make it hard...

Fight it. That way, next time you decide to ask a question, it will be worded as one, not an ejaculation of misunderstood and miss-applied terms and technologies that sounds like my grandmother trying to ask my butcher for advice on what gritt sandpaper she should be using to polish her carbon fibre hip replacement.

18. Psychotria

Psychotria (Banned or Deleted)

This is exactly what I was going to say

19. 7nothing

7nothing Member

Sounds to me like you've got an idea for a fantastic product, and just want to find the programming language that will create this fantastic product for you, saving you from having to waste time on development.

20. mwil7034

mwil7034 Member

If you haven't already started I would suggest you check out http://libvirt.org/. It has language bindings for most languages.

If I were to create the product I would invest my time in Python, Perl or Ruby to be honest. C/C++ are becoming tiresome and the libraries are starting to show their age. Web programming has progressed so far since these languages were conceived.

Im also going to tell you this idea of yours has been numerous times before. In reference to the RasberryPi comment, as elvis said there are now Fedora and Ubuntu images already available.

Furthermore, if what you are looking for is an embedded hypervisor, then your best bet is to deploy a JeOS image or similar with a libvirt webfrontend such as Eucalyptus, OpenStack etc.

/my 2c