low profile USB wall wart

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by caspian, Jan 14, 2021.

1. caspian

caspian Member

wondering if anyone knows of any low-profile USB wall warts available in Australia. I need a high current unit (to run a dual pad inductive charger) that is relatively flat and has the USB posts on the side, so it can go behind a piece of furniture without causing too much stand-out from the wall.

something like this would be ideal: https://www.amazon.com.au/Nekmit-Portable-Charger-Smart-White/dp/B07FJNWC3Y

2. Renza

Renza Member

3. OP
    OP
    caspian

caspian Member

trying to avoid those, because the cable run to the charger pad is already pretty short.

4. Hater

Hater Member

can you swap the GPO out for one with USB in it and then use 90 degree USB cables?

5. OP
    OP
    caspian

caspian Member

might be the easiest way I suppose. I have USB output GPOs in there now, but they're older low current ones. I see I can get 3.4 amp ones now.

6. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Yeah, that 3.4 amp rating is for each, or total combined for multiple USB outlets?

Other trick/trap with the high current wall plate ones will be make sure your (presumably?) longer USB cable will happily play passing the higher current. Encountered a few instances where running 3 metre USB cables on high output chargers didn't actually result in the devices doing fast charging. Shortened the cables right down they then did... even buzzed the cables out to see matching pinouts.

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

Need to check teh specs of whatever unit you buy. I've seen some where one port is 3A and the second is 1.5. others where either port will do 3A but only 4A in total etc. etc. plenty of ways to be dodgy with the advertises vs. the actuality.

Also, thin gauge wire (like that in USB cables, especially cheaper ones), will have lots of voltage drop as they get longer, so charging will be affected. use the best quality and shortest cable you can, and if possible the fancier higher voltage chargers (quickcharge, that run at 9 or 12 v, they're less affected by voltage drop/distance).

8. OP
    OP
    caspian

caspian Member

I only need one port to deliver high current. well aware that the rated capacity is total, and the USB cable is standard length - I just can't afford the additional length from the GPO to the floor. nor can I use a shorter cable anyway, as the end on the charging pad is nonstandard.

the cable will also will be the same regardless of whether I use the supplied wall wart or a GPO with integrated charger, so it won't make any difference what the power source is.

thanks, buying some replacement GPOs tomorrow morning.

9. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

You could use one of those vertical ones with 4 or 5 ports and place it sideways

10. -AL-

-AL- Member

11. mjunek

mjunek Member

12. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

I was of the impression that a lot of the inductive chargers rely on the proprietary Qualcomm fast charge and that mere high current 5V output doesn't get it to behave, at least not from an inductive fast charge point of view.
    I'm not aware of any of the hard wired USB outlets that support the proprietary shit though, plenty of units that'll do 2.5A at 5V however.