LSK - The Loudspeaker Kit is back!

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by ~Spyne~, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Forte

Forte Member

Yep, that's me. I sold LSK around 2005 and stayed involved for another year or two helping out with some designs but it was heading off in a different direction by then and I was pretty busy with a consulting career.

Very sad to see the companies reputation get taken down since we had always tried so hard to look after customers and had a very strong community going.

Best of luck and will look forward to the new changes!

2. Red Spade

Red Spade Member

I discovered LSK when you were running it back in Melbourne. There was a nearby JB hifi and I remember thinking that TL6 sounded better than the better speakers at JB going for around $4k.

I've brought back the forum as a first step towards rebuilding the community.

Business is much more transparent and exposed now - if there is a problem, the internet will know! I think it tends to magnify any problems. From the very beginning I had people saying "you've got a lot of explaining to do!"

I started to put the word out there - "if you feel you've been ripped off, that you didn't get something you paid for, contact me with evidence and I'll present your claim to W Audio." This was sent to the entire newsletter subscription, posted across social media, broadcast in at least one article I know as well as in here. Basically, it was shouted from the rooftops. What followed was the sound of silence. The deadline has now passed, but I only received one claim!

There are a lot of things coming. Most of the existing kits will remain as I think they represent some good choices.

I'd like to bring back something like M7. For those unaware, it was a high end reference monitor - I think from memory it was only available finished, at a price of $2k. I recall a very dry, controlled, accurate sound with solid bass. It was also noticeably less efficient than TL6, a bit power hungry.

There are quite a few things being considered, which I won't mention just yet as I hate to disappoint if something doesn't work out.

One thing that is very likely to come through is a dedicated HT speaker that will introduce compression drivers, constant directivity and waveguides. Most likely an 8" LCR speaker that will be only just a bit bigger than the existing range, then a surround version. The compression drivers not only give higher output, but they control dispersion with the right waveguide, such that you can better optimise seats outside the sweet spot. This is especially handy in narrow rooms, or where you sit in side seats a bit too close to surrounds.

We're also going to soon introduce a pretty big range of subs, starting with a 6" sub and going all the way up to 18"!

I've been asking people what they would like to see in kits. The ideas are many and varied.

3. Thudd

Thudd Member

Here's one: a flattish surround speaker for when aesthetic or other reasons dictate that a deep box hanging off the wall isn't feasible. Obviously this will depend on the depth of the woofer driver but there must be suitable options out there.

4. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

I'm using 2x M4's in parallel or serial (I can't recall) but the poor buggers can't keep up as a single channel - which is a real shame, I specifically got a flat TV cabinet which fits them horizontally perfectly.

5. Red Spade

Red Spade Member

Thanks for the suggestion. A low profile surround where depth is as small as possible is definitely on the cards. One with terminals on top so it can go right up to the wall. A small compression driver with a compact waveguide will also perform better in many rooms that have seats closer to the surrounds. The waveguide reduces the output in the very close positions, to balance it more with the surround on the other wall. In other words, a "real world" surround.

6. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Sounds like they're in good hands. Still enjoying my little whatever they ares.

7. lithos

lithos Member

Oh, assembly I'm fine with, it's the cutting I suck at.

I've already got a pair of Mark Audio matched tweets and woofers just sitting and doing nothing. 6.5" midwoof, 1" silk dome tweet.

Soon as I dig up the T/S params, I'll see if you guys have anything I could use.

8. Oosh

Oosh Member

I'll be watching the new LSK with great interest and wish you the best of luck.

I'll just add what always held me back from biting the bullet and buying some TL6's.
    I can glue, I can clamp, but I lack the patience to get a good paint or lacquered veneer finish.

For what it's worth in the end I went with a complete setup from Adelaide Speakers.

9. h2oxide

h2oxide Member

Ascension has received quite the praising over at SNA and are really good value. Wouldn't mind hearing a pair.

10. Red Spade

Red Spade Member

I suspect that most past LSK customers actually bought because they wanted to do those things. It can be very satisfying.

Veneering and clear finishing are actually not that hard and kits aren't the only options.

AS do seem to use good drivers for the asking price, although unfortunately most won't have the chance to audition them. Providing chances to audition all around Australia is something we're aiming to do. People often don't realise that it's not just the parts you use, but also what you do with them. I've heard many speakers that didn't live up to their potential that I know to be there in the drivers. It's entirely possible to take one speaker, come up with an alternative design with cheaper drivers, make better choices, optimise the design better and come up with a better result.

11. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

12. Oosh

Oosh Member

Perhaps you're right.
    I can only speak for myself and getting good value was my primary driver (pardon the pun) not for the DIY element.
    In much the same way I don't buy IKEA furniture for the pleasure of putting it together.

As for AS, despite being happy to suggest people consider them, I doubt I would have bought mine unseen/unheard and wouldn't recommend people do so.
    Luckily enough Edward is local to me and had a pair on hand almost identical to what I ordered.

LSK product at least had the advantage of being more widely reviewed.
    If you can get demo equipment throughout the country even better but I do wonder how you can achieve that without unduly driving your prices up.

13. Red Spade

Red Spade Member

There are some people that just love DIY. I'm one of them. Some people love it so much they don't even want to give up cutting the MDF!

Still I get that it's not for everyone. That's why we don't just do kits.

Ikea furniture - yes in that case the assembly part is the downside! Furniture assembly just doesn't seem to have the same hobby appeal, it's a job to be done.

We've had some interest from reviewers already, so it's quite likely there will be a very reviews coming out this year.

One idea that I'm hoping to launch is to have LSK reps that are willing to demo the kits in their homes from time to time, hosting events. There will be some incentives, but the real push will be the enthusiasm to share the hobby. My hope is that most people will be within driving range of these events in each capital city.

14. Oosh

Oosh Member

So... it's a Tupperware party! :p

15. Red Spade

Red Spade Member

That's it!

16. chylld83

chylld83 Member

Good stuff Paul! Very excited to see what you guys can come up with.

I've been through a few retail speakers and am currently on a Paradigm Monitor 11-based 5.1 setup. My computer room speakers used to be LSK M5's but those have been replaced by my own DIY Cyburg's Needles. On paper they should sound crap, but I've put a number of audiophile friends in front of them (powered by a DIY gainclone amp) and every single one has been impressed.

They're cheap and easy to make, and sound good in any space as long as high-quality components are used for the notch filter. I have Alpair 6 drivers in mine and they're epic. An LSK version would be fantastic to see!

Another speaker I'd love to see LSK make is the wide-baffled Poor Man's Strads. Much more complex though and possibly too complex for kit form... but there's a charm about DIYing speakers that "come with a room" :)

17. garfy_w

garfy_w Member

18. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

19. Red Spade

Red Spade Member

We're having a hosting issue, affecting the website, store and forum. I will let people know when the website is back online.

20. aYnEma

aYnEma Member

I'm so glad I'll be able to get kit speakers again. I recently had a storage container broken into and my M6 & C6 speakers I had waiting for use in my new house were stolen. Luckily they didn't see the S350 sub & my F6 mark II's were in use at my rental.

So if anyone sees some red M6 & C6 speakers going for sale around Perth let me know.

I'm quite keen on seeing what new center speakers you you come up with Marcus my new place will have a bare wall with my TV mounted on it so a suitable center speaker would be great.