LSK - The Loudspeaker Kit is back!

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by ~Spyne~, Nov 26, 2012.

1. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Um yeah at least something comes up now along with a big advertisement for hand bags? What they do delete your site and no backup and now its just put up a default page or something?

2. Red Spade

Red Spade Member

Unfortunately I have a lot of work to do to get it all online again, so right now it's just a blank template. That will change this week.

We still have existing stock with centre channels, so when we get the store back online you might like to check those out.

3. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

The one stop shop for Speakers, handbags, dresses, and god know what else :lol:

4. MoRpHeUs

MoRpHeUs Member

Hi LSK,

I have the TL6 speakers purchased from you guys many moons ago.

One of the tweeters is cactus. How do I order this new part?

Thanks
    Troy

5. Red Spade

Red Spade Member

I'm pretty sure it has the Vifa D27TG tweeter that we can still get. Send me a message via the contact form on the LSK website and I'll follow it up there.

6. Forte

Forte Member

7. oculi

oculi Member

any word on when the new TL model will be released? I don't care about all the horn work you are doing, horns frighten and confuse me :p

8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

M4's are cheap as chips right now....
    ummmm, bugger it. for 140ish delivered for two i dont think i can go wrong ???

edit- guess i'll find out now :)
    tell me, what clamps, glue, etc should i be buying ?
    bunnings is close ....

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  9. ChoppedLiver

ChoppedLiver Member

bog standard pva glue is more than adequate.
    if you want a super joint, run a bead of glue, then 'smooth' it with a finger.
    idea is that this will 'push' the glue into the grain of the timber for a far better joint.
    Trust me, it works.............

clamps, i bought some of bunnings super cheap 'quick grip' clamps.
    not the greatest ones out there, but they more than did the job for me.
    and my cabinets are 25mm mdf, and weight ~45kg each, with nothing in them.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  10. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

i bought some M4s last year, still finishing them thou paint/sand paint sand etc etc

first time doing paint finishing so im learning as i go and only finding a couple of hours each weekend means its taken a few weeks

dead easy to assemble, and while clamps might of been better, i did it find with some phone books and blocks of wood

11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

thank you :thumbup:

any close up pix of the corners ?
    any youtube vids i should be watching as a first timer ?

12. bartman

bartman Member

I've been eyeing off the M4s too - has anyone tried them as their main HT system in a sub/sat config? My wife hates the idea of big speakers in the lounge room - so I've been looking for a good sub/sat combo.

13. okisub

okisub Member

I was using 5x M4's and a 10" Richter Krakatoa with a Denon Amp for about 18 months and was always kind of disapointed with the M4's, maybe I was expecting too much. Don't get me wrong they were OK for the money, just not 'WOW!'
    I always found the highs fairly muddy and hard to listen to at quieter levels, compared to my pair of Infinity SM85's and Microlab SOLO7c's.

14. Red Spade

Red Spade Member

Their size is VERY appealing and as long as expectations are reasonable with what can be achieved they can work quite well. Their two main limitations are bass extension and output, as with all mini monitors. I've set up a small pair with the last S150 sub to test them for home theatre and music and see how they perform. They have just enough extension to mate with a sub, and actually, surprisingly, set up for casual PC sound they appear to have a bit more bass than you might expect. I recommend setting them to small in a HT and if you have a choice of a steeper slope on the high pass, say YES! If helped out in this way, their output is actually quite surprising, but run full range, 4" woofers run out of steam quick.

The first LSK kit to come out is M4, in a new version late March. M6 will follow but I will shoot myself in the foot if I try to predict TL6.

M4s have always been a good seller, but we aquired a lot of them and wanted to make way for the new version and so went a bit aggressive with the price reduction. The rate at which they have been selling came as a surprise, they will probably sell out before the new version is ready. Don't wait too long guys if you are keen.

M4 goes together with nothing other than a rag and PVA. This is me assembling my first ever LSK kit. Just a quick read of the instructions, then the video rolls ...

BTW ... don't use quite as much glue, I had to edit out more cleaning up than you see!

You can get by without clamps on this one. A few cheap F clamps don't hurt and you'll find they are a bit cheaper at Super Cheap Auto.

Sounds like some substantial boxes! Definitely one bitten by the DIY bug!

It's designed to avoid clamps, nice and easy.

The new version is going to surprise some people I think. We've sourced some OEM drivers and the new M4 is going to make some high end speakers blush. It will still contain the limitations of a mini monitor, but a much more refined speaker. When I put them on the test bench and just fired up one with the prototype crossover, playing one of those audiophile favourites (Nils Lofgren "Keith don't go,") my jaw dropped at the sound. "Heck, this sounds TOO good!" Price is likely to go up a bit.

15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

toooo late :) clamps, primer/spray bog, sikaflex pva, 180/240/600/1200 sandpaper purchased this morning....
    not sure on the final finish yet. got a hankering for green hammertone :o

just hurry up and send em ! no tracking number yet. lol

16. ChoppedLiver

ChoppedLiver Member

third set.

i was originally going to use 32mm and a cabinet maker.
    but due to various reasons, i've swapped to 25mm (2 sheets) and doing it myself.
    threw some test cabs together, and was initially, underwhelmed, with their performance.
    but they very quickly started to break in, (still are) and now they sound incredible.

Then again, they've cost me more than some spend on car..

I'm hoping to have the proper cabinets finished in a month.

17. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

Any ideas on the pricing of the M4's and M6's. Similar to the pricing of the previous kits? If the M6 is not too far away does that mean a C6 wouldn't be far off either?

18. okisub

okisub Member

Will there maybe be an upgrade pack for original M4s?

19. GTR27

GTR27 Member

I notice on the site you have C6 centres as a kit for $299.....is that a valid/current price, and how would one go about ordering and getting it to brisbane?

PM me if you want, but i'm keen to buy one (missing a decent center at the moment and it hurts movies a lot)

20. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Woohoo! Got the kit today (although damn courier didnt bring them till 5pm.....) and already have it glued together, and clamped/weighted down. Its a pretty sizable centre! Once it all dries, will prob spend the rest of the week sanding/priming/painting it so I get a lovely gloss black finish. The wife agreed to me making them myself as long as "it looks as good as a bought one". Was going to give veneer a go, but dont quite have that much time available.

May potentially buy another for the father in law, after he see's (and hears) how this one turns out. Fingers crossed you have a few left by then :)