LucasArts Officially Closed down

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Yerolo, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

Everyone raise a glass to the once mighty Lucasarts of all great games such as DOTT, Secret Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Tie Fighter, etc etc

Will be sad to see them go, and it also means the upcoming Star Wars 1313 is also canned (unless it gets licenced out to another publisher)

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/lucasarts-officially-shuttered-by-disney/1100-4614/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  2. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

sad news but they were a shadow of LucasArts in their heyday anyway.

I think its a safe bet that 1313 would have sucked.

3. bonox

bonox Member

time to dig out xwing again, just for to celebrate the memories.

4. OP
    OP
    Yerolo

Yerolo Member

X-wing was one of the first computer games I bought, came on 20 floppy disks or something (took an absolute age to install). The amount of hours I lost to that game....uncountable

Lucasarts for me defined the adventure Point n Click genre, I can still go back and play the Lucasarts adventures and enjoy them all. They were without a shadow of a doubt my favorite developer in the 90s

DOTT
    Maniac Mansion
    Sam n Max
    Full Throttle
    Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis
    The Dig
    Grim Fandango
    Secret of Monkey Island Series

/Salute

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  5. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I killed at least two mice playing Tie Fighter...

Ahhhh the good old days

6. kesawi

kesawi Member

I used to play Maniac Mansion at least once a week even though I knew how to finish it, as I enjoyed it and the humour so much. My other favourite of the 80s was Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders.

Absolutely thrashed the X-Wing series and loved Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (always hoped that would be the next movie in the series).

Also spent a lot of time playing Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain and Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe.

Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle would be the last game of theirs I probably played through to the end. I never really enjoyed any of their games after that one.

7. B.thomson

B.thomson Member

Hoping this has no effect on SWTOR. Although might be part of the reason the Aussie servers are being retired.

Sad to see them go, feel sorry for any old hands still working there who may now need to look for jobs.

8. MadcatDJ

MadcatDJ Member

RIP, bit of a sad day

Though in a way this could be awesome news. If they are now licensing out game IP, some companies may make "HD" versions of some of their classic games, assuming its a proper HD version rather than a remake, and they dont try and charge two arms and two legs as licensing fees

9. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Sad news. I grew up with the classic lucasarts dos games... Day of the tentacle, Sam and max, Indy and the fate of Atlantis, Xwing and its sequel, tie fighter (Xwing versus tie was pretty ordinary though :p ) even my av is from a lucasarts game.

Although I couldn't name a lucasarts game from the last decade I know they are one of my favourite devs from the early 90's. feel like I've lost an old friend :(

10. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

SWTOR was developed and is maintained by Bioware.

11. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

That's very sad. Lucasarts used to be my favourite game studio - used to buy most of the games they released.

Not recently I suppose... but I'd hoped they'd make a come back.

They say they will still make star wars games with other developers/publishers... Hope they also make some new indiana jones games!

12. HeXa

HeXa Member

This..... just like Westwood Studios, Bullfrog, etc

At least EA aren't to blame for this (though I am trying to think of a way :p)

13. Tiberio

Tiberio Member

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

14. joe_sixpack

joe_sixpack Member

I played Monkey Island with CGA graphics... It was awesome!! :leet:

15. unwritt3n

unwritt3n Member

That's bad news... But I actually thought about this when Disney took over the Star Wars licence.
    I JUST WANT BATTLEFRONT 3 GOD DAMN IT!

16. Frostyknight

Frostyknight Member

Haven't made a good game in quite a while, unfortunately... lets just hope that Disney chooses the right developers to give Star Wars licenses to in the future :thumbup:

17. MadcatDJ

MadcatDJ Member

or they let GoG sell their entire game library, cause you know, maximising shareholder returns...

jizzzzzzz

18. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

So what's this I hear? My LucasFilm/LucasArts collection just tripled in value? :lol: :p

Yep this just about sums it up. It is indeed sad news. In the early days they created games which stirred my imagination and influenced my interests which I still have today.

The first game I even owned was Their Finest Hour. I still remember picking it out amongst what little games there were at the time at my local Tandy, not truly knowing much about it other then it was a flight simulator. At home I read the hefty book you got with it from cover to cover, tens times over. The level of historical detail they went into ignited in me a keen interest in WW2 history which I followed on with their next creation, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe.

It was the same with The Secret of Monkey Island, another game which is forever burned into my memory. While having plenty of comic relief, just the setting alone with beautiful Caribbean scenery sparked in me an interest of Central America and the Caribbean, it's history, it's culture and of course it's music (hi Bob Marley). Great games indeed.

But yes since the glory days of late 80's and 1990's, the wealth of talent that left in the preceding years, Ron Gilbert, Brian Moriarty, Tim Schafer, Lawerence Holland to name a few, it has most definitely been a shadow of it's former self. Yet another developer that would continue to pump out the same franchise over and over (hi EA) and forget it roots as one of the finest game developers I had the pleasure of enjoying over the years.

RIP LucasFilm Games/LucasArts

19. Zabba

Zabba Member

I have cried the end of Lucasarts for years now. This is just a formality and it feels a little good to be honest.

It's like putting down an old beloved pet, it is sad, but you know it's for the best.

There is no point of listing the games I played, because all of us did. The only thing I'm going to say is that I love my Monkey Island ring tone on my mobile :)

20. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I'm with ya', sister.

RIP.